PDA

View Full Version : Best method for sighting in lasers on a pistol

Bill92869
06-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Just got a Glock GTL22 laser/light combo and really like it so far. Trying to set up the laser sight and realized that since it sets a good 2 inches below the bore, I will either have it shooting low at a wide range of distances or right on at one and either over or under at the rest. The manual tells how to adjust it but not where to adjust it to. Then I wondered if setting it for a specific range would make it dead-on for that range and then somewhat higher at further ranges such that it would almost act as a bullet drop compensator. My question is what do others to in sighting in their lasers.

jvquattro
06-27-2009, 11:05 PM
You can use a boresighter like this one:

http://www.sitelite-lasers.com/main.php (http://www.sitelite-lasers.com/main.php)

Bill92869
06-27-2009, 11:09 PM
In my experience bore sighters are close to useless. You missed the point and the question. I can sight it in easily using the iron sights. My question is where do I adjust the point of impact for the laser?

aplinker
06-27-2009, 11:11 PM
The key is to get the freakin sharks to stop swimming, as their freakin lasers can be tough to adjust.

Align it with your sights. Yes, it will be off, but so are your sights.

Alternatively, you could choose a closer range (like 7yds) as the laser is (I would assume) for quick defensive use.

At that point you'll be aligning lower.

NeoWeird
06-28-2009, 1:52 AM
It's basically the same concept as a scope, two theoretical lines intercepting each other at a given distance, except with the laser there is no real 'quick' ranging adjustments. This can be both good and bad - personally I see it as good. Remember that the laser is not a precision insturment - you're using a ~1/16" dot to aim at an 18" diameter target. So where it's off an inch or so you should still be hitting center mass in a defensive scenario or of the target in a practice type scenario. If you need something more accurate, I'd opt for a top mounted optic like an Aimpoint or Dr Optic if you want something smaller.

I actually JUST set up my wife's P22 laser earlier tonight. What I did was sat on the couch and sat somewhere where I had a clear line shot of several walls at different distances. Chances are she will use it for ~20 yard shooting so I set it up using the sights as a guide so that it rested dead center and just under the target at about 15 yards. I figure this way it will be just about on, maybe a tad low, at 20 yards but will still be within an inch or two anywhere from 10 yards up to 30 yards. Anything past that and she will need to start using Kentucky elevation, but that will also help teach her for hold over on scopes, bullet drop compensation, scope-bore relationship, etc.

Find the range you will most likely use it at and put it there. If it's ahome defense gun, figure about 80% the length of the longest possible distance of an encounter. If you set it there, anywhere in your house you will hit a man sized target consistantly if pointed properly. As said, the laser is for rapid target aquiring or when you're not fully able to use iron sights.

Of course if you NEED a larger range of use, you could get something like the Crimson Trace Grips which put the laser closer to the bore line, just offset a bit. Then you just need to know that it will hit slightly to one side and you'll still have to adjust for bullet drop.

Josh
06-28-2009, 6:06 AM
lasers are for point shooting when you dont have time to line up the sights.

Ideally they are for around 21ft and closer. They are not meant to be super precise hair splitting atom level precision jdam guided instruments.

Dial it in for about 7-10 yards and call it a day.

NeoWeird
06-28-2009, 7:38 AM
Wow, it must have been late. I just realized I put yards instead of feet. I WISH my house had 15 yards of straight sight in any direction. Ok, maybe down the hall...

bigfoot-00
06-28-2009, 8:02 AM
I have a Crimson Trace on my Glock. I use the iron sights outside in daylight as the laser is of little use. That leaves me with relatively short shots inside. I set up mine down the longest hall, standing about 25% of the way down the hall. That makes it about a 35' shot. I am off a bit left and right when the distance increases or decreases, but well within the center of mass.

jvquattro
06-28-2009, 8:06 AM
In my experience bore sighters are close to useless. You missed the point and the question. I can sight it in easily using the iron sights. My question is where do I adjust the point of impact for the laser?

I agree most bore sighters are probably useless. I have used the site lite and it was pretty decent.

For point of impact of the laser, I guess it depends what the goal for use is?

I used the boresighter at 25 feet and aligned the laser with the boresighter red dot. Off course still sighted at the range at 25 yards because of factors affecting the boresighting accuracy such as parallax, bullet spin and variable ballistics as suggested.

kenjimatic
06-28-2009, 9:14 AM
I align mines(TLR-2) with my sights at 15 yards and it shoots pretty accuratly, the closer the target the higher it'll shoot. Thats good enough for me.. :D

tiko
06-28-2009, 10:13 AM
I set the laser zero in at 7 yards, after that the point of impact will be lower but still OK, not the chest but the stomach!

Mac Attack
06-28-2009, 11:58 AM
On my crimson trace I have my laser sighted in to poa at 15 yards.

What I did was set the point to coincide with the front sight. Use a stable stand to support your handgun and adjust it until it hits where you want. Lasermax guide rod lasers are not adjustable as far as I know.

RolinThundr
06-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Just got a Glock GTL22 laser/light combo and really like it so far. Trying to set up the laser sight and realized that since it sets a good 2 inches below the bore, I will either have it shooting low at a wide range of distances or right on at one and either over or under at the rest. The manual tells how to adjust it but not where to adjust it to. Then I wondered if setting it for a specific range would make it dead-on for that range and then somewhat higher at further ranges such that it would almost act as a bullet drop compensator. My question is what do others to in sighting in their lasers.

I went to the longest straightaway in my apt (hallway that ran from bedroom to front door) and stood at one end of it (br) and aimed at the other end (fd) and then adjusted the laser so that I could see the red dot just above the front sight. I figured that'd be close enough.

Bobshouse
06-28-2009, 4:33 PM
Line up your sights and fire a round into a target at the distance you want to align your laser.

Adjust your laser to the bullet hole while checking through your sights from the same location you fired from.

Done!

HondaMasterTech
06-28-2009, 7:19 PM
Align your setup about two feet off. If the perp gets your gun he'll miss when he tries to shoot you. More of a joke but it has its validity...

Bill92869
06-29-2009, 11:35 AM
At first I laughed, then I thought what if another family member gets the gun and uses it?

cineski
06-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Just look at the location it'll be used. Figure the furthest and closest it may be used and set the laser to the mid point so the laser hits the top of your sites while aiming. At this point, in most indoor instances, your laser will be close to within 2-3" in top to bottom depending on distance in your home.

mtenenhaus
06-29-2009, 1:17 PM
We discussed this a bit at a recent SigSauer class wetook. If i recall, their general recommendation was based on the concept that the laser was probably most beneficial in high stress, close situations.....when it is unlikely that you will have time or the warewithall to use your sights.