PDA

View Full Version : Carry gun: Walther pps or S&W m&p 340

pulserifle99
06-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Which one of these guns, in your opinion, would be a better choice in terms of reliability, concealability, and firepower?(Walther pps or S&W m&p 340) Im looking to get a new carrygun because I feel that my clock 36 is to heavy and bulky for summer carry.

P.S. I know that these guns are not on the list.

scr83jp
06-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Which one of these guns, in your opinion, would be a better choice in terms of reliability, concealability, and firepower?(Walther pps or S&W m&p 340) Im looking to get a new carrygun because I feel that my clock 36 is to heavy and bulky for summer carry.

P.S. I know that these guns are not on the list. I started carrying in NYS in 1964 with a S&W Chiefs Special 5 shot 38 spec. I've had many handguns since that time but my 3 primaries are a Sig Sauer P220 45acp,S&W Mod 19 357 mag 6 inch barrel with target hammer,trigger,sights & grips custom tuned by a great gunsmith & a Rossi SS 2" 38 spec 5 shot.All 3 of mine are very accurate.

M47_Dragon
06-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Would have to give the edge to the M&P 340 for reliability and firepower... concealability, to me, is a relative issue depending on where on your body you carry, your body type/size, etc.

Don't have any experience with the Walther, but I can tell you the M&P 340 is a great little revo. Recoil is a little rough with full power .357, but is easy enough with .38 +p.

Miltiades
06-28-2009, 6:11 AM
I have a S&W 642 airweight, which is similar to the M&P 340, and it is an excellent gun that conceals easily.

Although I have never seen a Walther PPS here in California, I have read descriptions and comments on the gun. Assuming that it works reliably, it looks like a very interesting little gun because of its flat profile and light weight. The 9mm caliber is probably more potent than .38 special, and may be equal to many .357 magnum loads from a 2 inch barrel. It would certainly be easier to control than .357 magnum in a 12 ounce gun, and would give you a couple of rounds more ammo (7 vs. 5, I believe). The Walther seems perfect for some type of small IWB belt holster, and also comes in .40 S&W caliber.

I presume you have a means to acquire the Walther in CA, such as a LEO exemption. Here is a photo of the PPS from the Internet:

http://www.myutahccw.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/picture-2.png