PDA

View Full Version : Language Barrier

bubbagump
06-27-2009, 2:46 PM
Both departments I worked for were responsible for predominantly Hispanic communities. A lot of officers & fire personnel did not know one word of Spanish, so I found myself translating for them quite a bit. I would always get funny looks when busting out with my "Caribbean" Spanish (I look Irish-White).

I never had a hard time communicating with people, until this one night. This old man flagged me down. He was wearing a suit and dragging a suitcase. I said hello and asked him what he needed. He stared at me. I stared back. When he finally started talking, I couldn't understand a damned thing.

He obviously wasn't from around here:p

He said something about LAX and Taxi. I asked for his Passport.

He was from Greece. So I called him a taxi. He had no money when the taxi got there. He started to get upset. I explained to the taxi driver what was going on. The taxi driver ended up giving him a ride back to LAX.

Has anyone else ever had to deal with something like this?

Jonathan Doe
06-27-2009, 4:43 PM
When I used to work in Marina Del Rey area, I have transported several lost tourists to the LAX in different occasions. They tried to pay me, but of course I had to decline it. :rolleyes: