PDA

View Full Version : Registration of out of state handgun after 10 years

sparrky
06-27-2009, 4:24 AM
Moved back to Calif. about 10 yrs ago from AZ. Bought a Glock with 10 round mags in 1998 in AZ. Dilemma: Can the handgun be registered now after 10 yrs? Don't remember the exact date the handgun was purchased(it's been 10 yrs...) What needs to be done to be Calif. compliant? I know now that it should have been registered within 60 days...but that boat has sailed. Need help on this issue.
I've searched and read from other out of state and newly Calif. residents about registration,but in this situation (10 years is way way over 60 days)just wanted to know what needs to be done to be Ca. compliant. Thanks...:confused:

railroader
06-27-2009, 6:46 AM
Actually if you contact the DOJ they will probably tell to send in the form so it's registered. I had a reolver that I sent in for repair to the manufacturer. They sent a brand new revolver back to my house with a different serial number. Five years later I contacted the DOJ and they told me just send in the form and a letter explaining I no longer had other revolver. I sent the form in with the $19 registration fee. They registered the revolver and sent my check back to me. This all happened about 5 years ago. Mark

RolinThundr
06-27-2009, 9:50 AM
Most other posts on issues of this nature say to go ahead and register it. It appears that even though there is a time limit given (60 days), the AG's office doesn't feel inclined to get off their rears and investigate/prosecute a late registration...or in the well-known lack of CA political wisdom, they didn't write a punishment for late registration into law.

golfrj
06-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Most other posts on issues of this nature say to go ahead and register it. It appears that even though there is a time limit given (60 days), the AG's office doesn't feel inclined to get off their rears and investigate/prosecute a late registration...or in the well-known lack of CA political wisdom, they didn't write a punishment for late registration into law.

All They want is the $$, it is suprising they don't want sales tax also, Oh Wait that's Next right??:rolleyes:

munkeeboi
06-27-2009, 1:29 PM
There is no self incrimination regarding handgun registration. They are usually happy enough to get it registered along with your $19

Rudolf the Red
06-27-2009, 2:41 PM
There is no self incrimination regarding handgun registration. They are usually happy enough to get it registered along with your $19

+1 to that.

Vin496
06-27-2009, 3:17 PM
It's actually written in the code that a person cannot get in trouble for late registration. If the only reason a the State becomes aware is by the person registering it.

cassius
06-28-2009, 12:23 AM
All They want is the $$, it is suprising they don't want sales tax also, Oh Wait that's Next right??:rolleyes:

Wrong. What they want to now is where the handguns are.

DOJ isn't going to give a damn about 10yrs, as long as the citizen is compliant and self-registers.

The OP will have to review the technical aspects and decide for himself what he wants to do.