PDA

View Full Version : Boy did I feel old today...

sgtbuck
06-26-2009, 9:36 PM
I was giving my Daughter's Boyfriend a ride home tonight from high school band practice. My Wife and Daughter were both in the car. The subject came up that I was an Officer and retired a few years ago. He asked how long ago did you first start being a Police Officer? I still can't believe what I said? I asked him when were you born? He said 1992.:eek: I said since before you were born.....

nobody33
06-26-2009, 11:04 PM
More than a few of the people I've worked with started before I was born (83).

Fire in the Hole
06-27-2009, 6:37 AM
More than a few of the people I've worked with started before I was born (83).

You want a reality pill? Here's one for ya. Find out that your new SGT, Lt., or Capt. wasn't born yet when you started on the job, and now he/she is telling you how to do your job. That one will slap your jowls.

stphnman20
06-27-2009, 6:42 AM
You want a reality pill? Here's one for ya. Find out that your new SGT, Lt., or Capt. wasn't born yet when you started on the job, and now he/she is telling you how to do your job. That one will slap your jowls.
I know how that feels.. When we get a brand new butter bar and he starts barking orders, we look at him think WTF? :D

Jonathan Doe
06-27-2009, 7:21 AM
Some recruits from the academy classes that I taught were born after I got on the department. And I see some sgt's and Lt's were recruits when I was in the training bureau, and I trained them. I feel old.

yzernie
06-27-2009, 2:37 PM
I feel your pain. A couple weeks ago, just for shts and grins, after day and swing briefings I started asking the kids when they were born. I was laughing when I found out that I had an average of 5 years on before they were even born. I just smiled when I thought I'll be enjoying my retirement for years before most of them even make it to Sgt. One kid told me his grandpa was just a couple years older than me...WTH???!!! :D

sgtbuck
06-27-2009, 8:19 PM
I feel your pain. A couple weeks ago, just for shts and grins, after day and swing briefings I started asking the kids when they were born. I was laughing when I found out that I had an average of 5 years on before they were even born. I just smiled when I thought I'll be enjoying my retirement for years before most of them even make it to Sgt. One kid told me his grandpa was just a couple years older than me...WTH???!!! :D

:eek:

I remember a few years ago I was in a foot chase with a 17yo tagger. When I caught him and got him back to the station he said your pretty fast for an old guy......:rolleyes:

1911su16b870
06-27-2009, 8:27 PM
I was doing scenarios at the academy when the cadet called in my info as a 55 yo male. Man...only over a decade high...that made me feel old :)

Ron-Solo
06-28-2009, 10:24 AM
I have several deputies working for me that were born after I started the department.

Remember, old age and wisdom will overcome youth and skill in the long run. A 'tortoise & the hare' situation.

Fire in the Hole
06-28-2009, 2:05 PM
I have several deputies working for me that were born after I started the department.

Remember, old age and wisdom will overcome youth and skill in the long run. A 'tortoise & the hare' situation.

Yeah, but I'm talking about the polar opposite, where you have an Lt. that's say 35 yr. old, supervising some 55 yr. old officers. When the Lt. would ask me why I did something a certain way that didn't fit the decision tree or formula that he adhered to, I (we) would justg say, "Well Lt., it just comes from the wisdom gained from years of experience of doing this job."

If he seemed nutted up over the answer, we'd remark, "Don't worry Lt. you'll make it there someday, just listen to us and follow our lead." Then pull a cigar out of your pocket and ask him if he's got a light.

masameet
06-28-2009, 2:12 PM
... Remember, old age and wisdom will overcome youth and skill in the long run....

I'm pretty sure that the word "treachery," and not "wisdom," is the operative word in that saying.

lol

Fire in the Hole
06-28-2009, 2:47 PM
I'm pretty sure that the word "treachery," and not "wisdom," is the operative word in that saying.

lol

You are right, but I think we have to give Ron the wiggle room to make it fit for LE purposes. Last time I checked, treachery was frowned upon by LE Mgrs. Wisdom however, is encouraged. I sure hope that they haven't done away with debauchery. I really enjoyed my debauchery. I considered it one of the perks of the job.

masameet
06-29-2009, 3:12 PM
... Then pull a cigar out of your pocket and ask him if he's got a light.

That's somethin' Larry Canfield would've done!

Except ask for a light.

Fire in the Hole
06-29-2009, 3:21 PM
That's somethin' Larry Canfield would've done!

Except ask for a light.

I have no idea who Larry Canfield is.

masameet
06-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Deputy Larry Canfield, EOW 11/12/08:
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa184/masameet/Elk%20Grove%20Motor%20LEO%20Comp%200808/LC_5059.jpg

J_B
06-30-2009, 2:51 PM
^^Thanks Masameet^^

There was a pic of him in briefing and some OG's signed it.....I never had the pleasure of meeting him.

Ron-Solo
06-30-2009, 3:38 PM
You are right, but I think we have to give Ron the wiggle room to make it fit for LE purposes. Last time I checked, treachery was frowned upon by LE Mgrs. Wisdom however, is encouraged. I sure hope that they haven't done away with debauchery. I really enjoyed my debauchery. I considered it one of the perks of the job.

You're right on all accounts. The minute you say treachery everyone thinks bad things. Arrgh :chris: