PDA

View Full Version : 458 SOCOM Help

Jpach
06-26-2009, 9:16 PM
So I have decided to purchase a .458 SOCOM after coming across a thread here and "seeing the light." Although I have decided on the caliber, I still hav a few questions. I would be asking this on the .458 SOCOM forum but no matter how many times I try I get no account activation email.

1. I have seen TONS of RRA .458 uppers floating around but I dont really like how they are only rated for 1.5 MOA. Do yins know if the RRA shoots sub-MOA with hand loads? I reload so I will definitely be able to squeeze most of the accuracy out of it, but if its barely a 1.5 MOA even after hand loading, then Im definitely going through Marty at teppojutsu.com

2. What is the optimum barrel length for the .458 SOCOM?
-I plan on hunting with it and dont really want a 26" barrel (not like anyone even makes one anyways), however I DO want to reach the highest velocities possible safely without adding too much weight.

3. Collapsible stocks are not recommended for the .458 SOCOM. What stocks, besides the standard A2, would be best suited to this round? Keep in mind that I do like my stocks to look good, but if its a hardcore stock that aint too pretty-then so be it.

:thumbsup:

technique
06-26-2009, 9:26 PM
So I have decided to purchase a .458 SOCOM after coming across a thread here and "seeing the light." Although I have decided on the caliber, I still hav a few questions. I would be asking this on the .458 SOCOM forum but no matter how many times I try I get no account activation email.

1. I have seen TONS of RRA .458 uppers floating around but I dont really like how they are only rated for 1.5 MOA. Do yins know if the RRA shoots sub-MOA with hand loads? I reload so I will definitely be able to squeeze most of the accuracy out of it, but if its barely a 1.5 MOA even after hand loading, then Im definitely going through Marty at teppojutsu.com

2. What is the optimum barrel length for the .458 SOCOM?
-I plan on hunting with it and dont really want a 26" barrel (not like anyone even makes one anyways), however I DO want to reach the highest velocities possible safely without adding too much weight.
Optimum is the 16incher.....
3. Collapsible stocks are not recommended for the .458 SOCOM. What stocks, besides the standard A2, would be best suited to this round? Keep in mind that I do like my stocks to look good, but if its a hardcore stock that aint too pretty-then so be it.
You can roll with collapsible, its not an issue. I like the A2 style Ace stocks...
:thumbsup:

I can help with 2 questions.

technique
06-26-2009, 9:29 PM
I guess I can help with Q #1 also.

At 200 yards with handloaded ammo...I can make each hole touch on a 10 shot group. I never measure MOA...I figure (at least with the SOCOM) if I can hit it...its going to die!

razorx
06-26-2009, 9:59 PM
Sneaking in a 3a question, is there a recoil reduction stock (non collapse) to make this into a featureless build? Looked at Mesa Tactical but did not find anything to be a direct match (possible Recoil stock kit?)

ChrisO
06-26-2009, 11:28 PM
It's rated 1.5 for factory ammo I believe you should be able to tighten it up with some handloads what twist rate are the RRA's in??? Just like technique said if you hit it, It will die... haha Im wanting to get a 50 beuwolf for some hunting as well the 458 socom does look promising im sure you can achieve better than 1 MOA with some good handloads and proper technique...

ChrisO
06-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Also just to mention I am happy to achieve 1 MOA on some of my deer rifles some are more accurate than others with hand loads most of them will do better now some of my hunting rifles are straight precision set ups but thats a different story... With a round that big I would be happy to achieve 1-1.5 MOA you can only make holes so small on paper with a round so big...

series8217
06-26-2009, 11:46 PM
ACE's SOCOM stocks are rock solid. Highly recommended. They look good too.

Jpach
06-27-2009, 2:15 PM
Thanks for all the info guys! And Technique, I hope to get groups as good as yours. Does your rifle have a SS barrel or chromoly?

I have another question. 1-14 twist seems to be ideal for the 500-600gr bullets and 1-18 is fine for 300ish gr bullets. I primarily want to run 300ish gr bullets through my gun but occasionally run the heavies just for fun. Would a 1-14 be overkill for the 300s? I dont think it would have the same effect as a 40gr .223 in a 1-7 twist rifle, but I really have no idea.

technique
06-27-2009, 2:41 PM
Thanks for all the info guys! And Technique, I hope to get groups as good as yours. Does your rifle have a SS barrel or chromoly?

I have another question. 1-14 twist seems to be ideal for the 500-600gr bullets and 1-18 is fine for 300ish gr bullets. I primarily want to run 300ish gr bullets through my gun but occasionally run the heavies just for fun. Would a 1-14 be overkill for the 300s? I dont think it would have the same effect as a 40gr .223 in a 1-7 twist rifle, but I really have no idea.

IIRC, RRA offers Chrome moly and I think my TJ is CM too...I have seen SS offered but you would have to call...If you can, pester someone about getting your log in and email verified. The custom SOCOMs people have are incredible. Have you seen the .458 Galil/AK variant that Tromix was offering?

you are correct on your twist...

(200-400 grain) 1 in 18 twist
(450-600 grain) 1 in 14 twist

I rarely shoot 500-600gr. Those are subsonic loads. And to be perfectly honest 300gr bullets (not just according to me but many people say) have a harder recoil and a bigger boom.

You shouldn't have issues firing them from a 1-18...It hinders accuracy slightly. I think of the .458 as a beefed up 7.62x39...when you shoot the heavy stuff you kinda get AK accuracy too...the rounds kinda dance around your POA.

Jpach
06-27-2009, 3:20 PM
Thanks Tech. No I havent seen that .458 Galil/AK! Im drooling all over myself now haha. I have been wanting to pester someone but I see absolutely no contact info on the .458 forum. I see that on the FAQ it says to contact an admin but it seems that in order to be able to see who the admins are...you NEED to login. Ill shoot an email to Marty to see if he can help, I assume hes a big part of the .458 forum