View Full Version : Domestic Violence Question

Tragic Image
06-26-2009, 8:43 PM
Ok, so the lady I'm seeing these days went through a semi-nasty divorce awhile back, and well.... Prior to moving back to CA, she lived in Delaware where she and her then husband were both arrested and booked for DV.

Now, she knows she was arrested for DV, but she can't remember what the final conviction was, and can't find any court documents that give her a break down. She doesn't believe the final charge was DV, because she remembers having to go through a first offender program and counseling and a few other court required things so that she would get leniency

What is her best course of action for finding out what the conviction was for? My opinion was to call and speak to a county clerk, but we'd both like to know what you all have to say.

06-26-2009, 9:23 PM
Public records.... As long as she wasn't a Juvi, anyone can find the dispo.

06-26-2009, 9:41 PM
Have her call the court directly. As long as she remembers where this happened, she'll be able to get answers.

06-26-2009, 10:07 PM

Just kidding. You can find out through the county court.

Fire in the Hole
06-27-2009, 6:43 AM
It's kind of hard for me to believe that an arrested person of a misdemeanor/felony wouldn't know what they were charged with or finally convicted of. I just can not relate to this, um...let's call it disinterest or indifference. But either the DA's Office or Court can provide her this information. Be prepared to go to a Notary Public for signature and ID verification. Perhaps the Court has a downloadable request form on it's website, under FAQ's.

06-27-2009, 6:56 AM
best bet is the court clerks office and ask for the court minutes or order; if she can remember who her attorney was, she could also call them.........I'm with Fire in the Hole, how do you not know what you were convicted of?.....I mean, you were in court when they sentenced you, obviously she knew what she had to do if she completed counseling or a program.......

Neil McCauley
06-27-2009, 7:54 AM

Just kidding. You can find out through the county court.

I think he's meeting women where I meet em :D

06-28-2009, 11:37 PM
I had to go through this recently for my CCW permit. Call the Clerk of the Court in the county where she was convicted. She may have to fax them a letter requesting the information be released over the phone. The clerk can then tell her what the dispo was. They can also send her a disposition letter stating the charges, the sentence, and if the sentence was served/completed (community service/counseling/fine...).