PDA

View Full Version : Best handgun for home defense

pewpewguns
06-26-2009, 8:27 PM
Firstly, I'm sure this question is asked a lot and I did use the search function.. Didn't find much so I decided to go ahead and post.

I'm in the market for a handgun for home defense and Im wondering which work the best.. I've always been a great shot with a glock so it was my first choice, however I'm now considering something that isn't made of polymer.

Budget is 500-600 dollars or so.. what do you recommend?

(wish I could get an HK, anyone know of a firearm with similar quality and handling for cheaper? Sigs are great..might go that way)

Must be a semi-auto, magazine-fed, with a common chambering like 9mm or 45 acp

Thanks for any advice!

SCMA-1
06-26-2009, 8:32 PM
I would recommend something you are a great shot with..........I guess that makes the Glock your "best" handgun for home defense.:)

Seriously, that is the most important criteria so if you just want a non-polymer handgun now for whatever reason, go down to a range that has lots of rentals and start trying them out until you find one that you shoot naturally better than the others. Everyone is different and what works well for one person may be completely wrong for another, so there is no such thing as "best handgun for home defense". Does that make sense?

SCMA-1

oaklander
06-26-2009, 8:32 PM
Either of these will work:

http://i39.tinypic.com/dcsdhd.jpg

pewpewguns
06-26-2009, 8:34 PM
When has anyone needed to make a 300 yd shot in there home :p

If I had the budget for it this would be the choice:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/pewpewguns/3405726043_35b041e06c.jpg

FEMUN
06-26-2009, 8:36 PM
A revolver preferably in .357 magnum.

stphnman20
06-26-2009, 8:40 PM
I'd say a Glock. But thats me..
It the weapon is only for HD, then get your self a shotgun..

Fjold
06-26-2009, 8:41 PM
What's your recoil tolerance and what experience do you have?

pewpewguns
06-26-2009, 8:42 PM
I've been shooting since my early teens and I like to piss everyone at the range off by renting 50 AE

PorkLover
06-26-2009, 8:44 PM
like stphnman20 said, If it's just for HD, then a shotgun could be had for around $300.00, if you really want a handgun, I'd go with a revolver.....although I'm partial to glocks........

Z ME FLY
06-26-2009, 8:45 PM
I would go to the range and try to rent some of the steel guns. CZs are great guns. You can try revolvers too. How about a Hi Power? 1911?

El Gato
06-26-2009, 8:45 PM
The best "handgun" for self defense.... that would be a not-handgun and would probably be Mr. Shotgun...IMHO....never take a handgun to a fight when I could take a shotgun/rifle instead... circumstances permitting.... a handgun is taken to a fight as a matter of convenience... which is not such an issue in the home...having said that... my HD handgun likes to have Mr. surefire attached... light 'em up first to make sure that you aren't shooting a family member or someone innocent...then having ID'd the threat....set 'em on fire with Mr. glock/XD/whatever....

Greg-Dawg
06-26-2009, 8:46 PM
Glock with a metal frame.

pewpewguns
06-26-2009, 8:47 PM
Those are all good suggestions thanks for the replys..

I'll probably rent a couple handguns before I buy, and moneys tight so I might skip the handgun at 21 fixation and go with my mossy500

SCMA-1
06-26-2009, 8:49 PM
Those are all good suggestions thanks for the replys..

I'll probably rent a couple handguns before I buy, and moneys tight so I might skip the handgun at 21 fixation and go with my mossy500

If you replace the mossberg stock with a pistol grip, then you would have your handgun (sort of) that is made of metal; good enough, yeah?:D

mmbasser
06-26-2009, 8:49 PM
None of the above..........

Rem 870 or Mossberg pump 12 guage Shotgun with a 18.5" to 20" barrel.

my $0.02!

Sry, El Gato posted while I was typing.....Agree with him!

Trapper
06-26-2009, 9:00 PM
A Glock 19 with night sights would be an excellent choice. California Police Equipment and Royal pawn both have them on shelf for $550, add a set of trijicon sights and extra mags later on down the road.

El Gato
06-26-2009, 9:01 PM
If you replace the mossberg stock with a pistol grip, then you would have your handgun (sort of) that is made of metal; good enough, yeah?:D

skip the pistol grip.... Mr Shotty has to be aimed... you can completely miss a bad guy at accross the room if if you don't aim... and pistol grip shotguns are terrible to have to aim.... they are ok for knockin' the door with a breaching charge but a regular stock mossy is just the ticket... if you can afford the one with the sights Muy Bueno...or more betterer...whatever

pewpewguns
06-26-2009, 9:06 PM
skip the pistol grip.... Mr Shotty has to be aimed... you can completely miss a bad guy at accross the room if if you don't aim... and pistol grip shotguns are terrible to have to aim.... they are ok for knockin' the door with a breaching charge but a regular stock mossy is just the ticket... if you can afford the one with the sights Muy Bueno...or more betterer...whatever

my mossberg has the grip and a CAR stock.. guess it wont be the most accurate. There any way to put a tac-light on those things..its the 500model (I love the heat plates on the top of the barrel)

Mayoustard
06-26-2009, 9:06 PM
Wow to many choices. Personally I have an rem 870 (click-clickity-glack, universal sound for "GET OFF MY LAWN") and I have A glock 32 with a .357sig 9mm and 40cal both g23 barrels. 357Sig is hard to find and expensive but most fun to shoot.
For mom(not too gun savy) a 4-5" revolver. Reliable, easy to use, and given caliber and barrel length very accurate, point and shoot!!!!
I do love the AR15 very intimidating but i'm tryin to kill my neighbors

HondaMasterTech
06-26-2009, 9:07 PM
The pistol grip Moss is great for moving through your house. I personally prefer a pistol. Take a look at the glock 30 if you like glocks.

MallNinja
06-26-2009, 9:08 PM
18 or 20" 12 gauge Remington 870 Express - $350
SureFire G2 Flashlight - $40
Mesa Tactical Barrel Clamp & Side Saddle - $100
The look on the intruder's face when he hears you rack your shotgun? Priceless.

Mayoustard
06-26-2009, 9:16 PM
Either way what ever you pull had better be reliable LOADED and not just for show. My mags always sleep with hollow points!!!!!

Californio
06-26-2009, 9:44 PM
Go to a rental range and find the one that shots the best for you, then worry about the price.

bombadillo
06-26-2009, 9:50 PM
In your price range, go for a p345dpr. Its a ruger if you're not familiar. Its a DA/SA gun with a decocker in .45acp. I have one and shot plenty of rounds through it. 4.25" barrel with reasonable accuracy and a nice narrow grip that fits my hand quite well and only single stack mag helps. Worth taking a look at as they retail at 499 for the stainless and it has a rail to hang a light or whatever from. http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=131656386

I don't know what the goo that makes it look all tiger striped in the last pic, but mine's just flat black for the polymer section.

sh0t1
06-26-2009, 9:51 PM
I think it's interesting how some of you guys have shotguns for home defense and talk about 'pumping the first round in'... Sucks for you that you are giving them some time while you get loaded up... and let them know where you are at, wow. I feel secure at night knowing I can grab and go. Being stealth and listening to figure out WTF is going on is mucho important, running around the house acting like rambo pumping a round into the chamber just seems foolish to me :eek: but hey, maybe you will get lucky and SCARE a home invader (normally on drugs) away, best luck.

cryptkeeper
06-26-2009, 9:55 PM
Glock 17 with Light and JHP rounds should work pretty well for you if a shotgun is too much. It's simple, point and pull.

MallNinja
06-26-2009, 10:16 PM
I think it's interesting how some of you guys have shotguns for home defense and talk about 'pumping the first round in'... Sucks for you that you are giving them some time while you get loaded up... and let them know where you are at, wow. I feel secure at night knowing I can grab and go. Being stealth and listening to figure out WTF is going on is mucho important, running around the house acting like rambo pumping a round into the chamber just seems foolish to me :eek: but hey, maybe you will get lucky and SCARE a home invader (normally on drugs) away, best luck.

Lol, not to be rude but do you know how a pump action shotgun works? The safety isn't really a firing pin safety. It's not as safe as a pistol if you were to drop it. I keep my USP cocked and locked all day and I don't worry about it going off accidentally. But a chambered shotgun... noway. And seriously, how long does it take to rack the forend? If I have time to grab my shotgun, I have time to rack it. And yes, an 870 racking is pretty f'ing loud inside a quiet home. I guarantee you that it'll get someone's attention. And what would you rather be shot with? A handgun or a shotgun?

Not to mention that a shotgun is way easier to aim and hit a target then a pistol. Handguns are THE hardest firearms to learn to shoot well. How many times do you see people at the range shooting groups that look like the target's been hit with birdshot? Jerking the trigger on a shotgun won't change it's impact point much, unlike a handgun. And in a life or death, high stress situation, you want simplicity and effectiveness. Nothing beats a shotgun for HD... well maybe besides an MP5 or something :p

supermario
06-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Either of these will work:

http://i39.tinypic.com/dcsdhd.jpg

Thats a beautiful Cobray, the M12 is even cuter:D

Midian
06-26-2009, 10:19 PM
in an emergency, always dial 1911

12GAUGE
06-26-2009, 10:22 PM
When has anyone needed to make a 300 yd shot in there home :p

If I had the budget for it this would be the choice:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/pewpewguns/3405726043_35b041e06c.jpg

You want a 10 round .22 for HD?

One Shot, One Dropped
06-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Whatever gun you choose, it should meet as many of these requirements as possible:
1.) You should be able to manipulate its controls almost unconsciously (pretty much, in the dark and in your sleep)
2.) It should be reliable, not finicky
3.) It should be in good working order/maintained (goes with above)
4.) It should have a good round capacity (if it be revolver cylinder or magazine)
5.) You should be a decent shot with it
6.) It should be of a high-enough caliber to have enough stopping power to stop a threat in the rounds on hand (of which a few could miss under stress)

So, what fits those criteria for you?

AngelDecoys
06-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Handguns are for fighting your way to your rifle/shotgun. :) Seriously, while i don't recall the foot pounds/square inch of force with the largest caliber handgun, its still several times lower then that of a long arm. Not only will a rifle/shotgun deliver a larger hole and a larger amount of force/square inches, but then there's the shock wave following the round damaging significantly more tissue (not present with a pistol round).

Using a handgun will be all about placement regardless of type/caliber. Every argument seems to devolve away from this simple fact and dwell on type/caliber. IMO - People expect too much from handguns.

So if your determined to use a handgun for HD, pick one that you can become consistently accurate with. Until you're consistently placing shots into a playing card while moving, get those shotgun/rifle skills up.

I'll tell you right up front I'm biased, but that's my opinion.

SCMA-1
06-27-2009, 8:09 AM
skip the pistol grip.... Mr Shotty has to be aimed... you can completely miss a bad guy at accross the room if if you don't aim... and pistol grip shotguns are terrible to have to aim....

I know that; just making a silly comment like all the other ones in this thread.:rolleyes: um.......pay attention to the smileys; they denote context and will let you know if someone is being serious or just joking.;)

Baconator
06-27-2009, 8:23 AM
There is always the exciting noise of you racking a round into your shotgun that will likely cause any would be intruder to wet himself. Then you might not have to kill anyone, and spend all that time cleaning up the mess. I have 2 handguns and a shotgun. I would much rather have the shotgun if I had nothing else for home defense. JMHO.

ZRT650
06-27-2009, 8:27 AM
get a shot gun if your weapon is going to be strictly HD. If your looking for more options any full size or compact size glock will do

JTROKS
06-27-2009, 8:38 AM
If you don't have any nosy little kids at home a full size 1911 in condition 1 is hard to beat. 45ACP won't be a bad choice, but I'd like to see one in 357 Sig. I envision my ultimate fighting pistol as a high capacity, all steel 1911 platform in 357 Sig. A Para Ordnance Limited is very close to it, so if I was to use my pre-ban P16 mags I'll have 19 rounds on tap. Since it's a home defense and dark hours is when most break ins are bound to happen. I'll have night sight on it and maybe add on a rail to give capability of holding the flashlight for me. A Crimson Trace laser grip won't be a bad idea.

cineski
06-27-2009, 8:44 AM
The thought of shooting a rifle or shotgun inside would be enough during a home invasion to make me flinch. I can imagine it would be so loud you'd permanently render your hearing useless and everyone else's inside. A handgun wouldn't be as bad, but it will take someone down and do so in a maneuverable way.

El Gato
06-27-2009, 8:50 AM
my mossberg has the grip and a CAR stock.. guess it wont be the most accurate. There any way to put a tac-light on those things..its the 500model (I love the heat plates on the top of the barrel)

that setup is cool... it's the pistol grip/no shoulder stock thang that looks cool and shoots not so much cool...
When we run shotgun classes... it is amazing to see how people develop skills very quickly and through the patterning/slug/buckshot exercises develop solutions for their own personal problems... I'm a handgun guy at heart... and if truth be know... probably a revolver guy.... but I'm deeply impressed with the shotgun as a short range defensive tool

El Gato
06-27-2009, 8:53 AM
I know that; just making a silly comment like all the other ones in this thread.:rolleyes: um.......pay attention to the smileys; they denote context and will let you know if someone is being serious or just joking.;)

... dang....sorry about that chief......:o

JTROKS
06-27-2009, 11:59 AM
The thought of shooting a rifle or shotgun inside would be enough during a home invasion to make me flinch. I can imagine it would be so loud you'd permanently render your hearing useless and everyone else's inside. A handgun wouldn't be as bad, but it will take someone down and do so in a maneuverable way.

I used to think that too. Which would you rather have, your hearing or life?

TitanCi
06-27-2009, 12:02 PM
You sould DEFINITELY get this gun: I have ten.
http://www.baekdal.com/media/content/2008/gun1.jpg

AngelDecoys
06-27-2009, 3:14 PM
The thought of shooting a rifle or shotgun inside would be enough during a home invasion to make me flinch..... A handgun wouldn't be as bad....., but it will take someone down and do so in a maneuverable way.

The sound between a handgun and a rifle is relatively the same indoors. Maneuverability is dependent to your level of training. I have no trouble navigating the hall, staircase, tight corners, and rooms with my Rem 11-87. Nor is switching between a slug and 00 buck, doing malfunction drills, or movement in the dark a big deal if you practice.

BTW - There are plenty of people who are shot by .357 sig, .40 s&w, and .45 ACP who do not go down immediately. And many that don't drop until minutes later. The type of handgun and caliber is secondary to placement.

Not so much with a shotgun, or rifle round. And that's probably the primary reason long arms are used more often then handguns for HD.

hkdad
06-27-2009, 3:33 PM
You sould DEFINITELY get this gun: I have ten.
http://www.baekdal.com/media/content/2008/gun1.jpg

lol... and i bet in all different colors..:60:

MarioS
06-27-2009, 6:27 PM
Honestly, any quality polymer frame pistol will go above and beyond that purpose; Glock, XD, etc. Pick your caliber, the barrel length you want, and go for it. You can find either within the $500 range. Spend the rest of the money on quality HD rounds and run at least 100 through the gun to ensure function. You can really use whatever you want for HD though that works for YOU. Whatever functions every time and a gun that allows you to hit where you aim.

kpw001
06-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Honestly, any quality polymer frame pistol will go above and beyond that purpose...

+1 Any reason why you want to skip the polymer for an HD gun? You're already comfortable with a Glock so why not go with what you know works for you?

Also a +1 to the shotgun. I have 2 handguns both with at least 1 mag of JHPs but my main HD gun is a Mossy 500. Some 00 buck will surely have the bad guys rethinking their line of work.

Ishoot
06-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Wow to many choices. Personally I have an rem 870 (click-clickity-glack, universal sound for "GET OFF MY LAWN") and I have A glock 32 with a .357sig 9mm and 40cal both g23 barrels. 357Sig is hard to find and expensive but most fun to shoot.
For mom(not too gun savy) a 4-5" revolver. Reliable, easy to use, and given caliber and barrel length very accurate, point and shoot!!!!
I do love the AR15 very intimidating but i'm tryin NOT to kill my neighbors

Fixed it for ya. :)

JohnJW
06-27-2009, 11:41 PM
If you can shoot well with a handgun I'll stick with a handgun over a shotgun for HD. Chances are there will be a lot more and hopefully all false alarms, and it's easier to be discreet with a handgun than any long arms especially if you have to leave the house.

There's nothing wrong a polymer frame gun. Any environment that will destroy a polymer frame gun will probably also destroy its user so I don't consider a polymer gun to be a disadvantage. However, HD situation are unpredictable so I prefer handguns where I can have tactile feedback of the hammer whenever I re-holster because I maybe re-holstering into a holster or a p
Plenty of people are okay with Glocks, but for HD I prefer handguns with a better snag proof system ocket or a waist band or simply putting it in between my armpit or whatever is convenient at the time. If you're spending $5~600 you probably can't go wrong with whatever gun you chooses.

NotSoFast
06-27-2009, 11:48 PM
I have both a handgun and a shotgun. I bought the pistol first and later bought the shotgun. Think about what works for you and go with that first. When you get competent shooting it, and have more $$$, buy the other. If you're strong enough, go with a .40 or .357. They both have the stopping power.

minuteman
06-28-2009, 12:32 AM
The gun you practice with is the best gun for home defense!

MarioS
06-28-2009, 12:41 AM
+1 Any reason why you want to skip the polymer for an HD gun? You're already comfortable with a Glock so why not go with what you know works for you?

Also a +1 to the shotgun. I have 2 handguns both with at least 1 mag of JHPs but my main HD gun is a Mossy 500. Some 00 buck will surely have the bad guys rethinking their line of work.

Exactly, go with what you know works for you. And, at least for me, I don't feel as bad moving around a widely-used polymer frame pistol from place to place, holstering tons of times, putting them in and out of bags that might not have the softest surfaces, etc...as opposed to doing that with say, a nice 1911.

And having a shotgun at the ready is nice too. With some LE-grade 00 buck, a bad guy would be lucky to have a chance to rethink their line of work after coming across your path. It will end a fight very quickly. I keep one around in case things get really hairy, it will drop any living thing in its way.

ontmark
06-28-2009, 8:00 AM
What for HD

First thing you must do is step back and analyze your home and occupants.

1 If you live in an apartment or condo with adjoining (shared walls). Then a shotgun would be my first choice due the lower over penetrating factor.

2. If you have children at home. Then my first choice would be a handgun with Laser Sights. Never know when you may encounter a hostage situation. Perp on top of your teenage daughter or has your little one at knife point. What about your wife, Mine has her own Revolver and knows how to use it pretty accurately.

3. If you plan to do a yard search or just stand out front of your house to observe something strange going on in the neighborhood. Then a hand gun in the pocket or in your holster under a shirt is my choice. I carry at home. Have some stashed about the house also.

4. If you are fortunate enough to have a lot of property that your house is on. Then my choice would be a rifle. Added range.

5. Most importantly at is all about shot placement. Get professional training. You want to spend x amount of dollars on something that will be used to protect your life and family members life. Spend at least three times that amount on Professional Training. Once you pull the trigger you can’t take the shot back. It all about protecting you and your family and perhaps someone else. And staying around to live (alive and out of jail).

Just my $ .02 worth.

PS: People will spend all kinds of money on an alarm system to protect their house and family. But they hesitate to spend a couple of thousand on firearms professional training. Go figure. What will keep them alive and out of jail.

fcr
06-28-2009, 9:23 AM
An aluminum baseball bat and a golf club shaft. Power and quick stabbing. :-)

scr83jp
06-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Exactly, go with what you know works for you. And, at least for me, I don't feel as bad moving around a widely-used polymer frame pistol from place to place, holstering tons of times, putting them in and out of bags that might not have the softest surfaces, etc...as opposed to doing that with say, a nice 1911.

And having a shotgun at the ready is nice too. With some LE-grade 00 buck, a bad guy would be lucky to have a chance to rethink their line of work after coming across your path. It will end a fight very quickly. I keep one around in case things get really hairy, it will drop any living thing in its way.I've read comments about shotguns loaded with double ought buck for home use but i wonder if anyone has practiced with these loads & I don't mean one time I mean a lot.I've fired thousands of 12g,20g & 16g shot shells since 1956.I had a Win Model 12 Duck (3" mag) that came with some 00 3 inch shells .I went to our range and tried a couple out on a heavy guage steel barrel it blew a hole in the side of the barrel if that had been used inside a home it would've gone thru & thru a human and continued to wreck havoc on anything in it's path like your family or anything else in the home.It doesn't take 00 to stop a human, bird shot will turn a head into mush I know what birdshot does to a humans chest and abdomen at close range turns everything to mush.I've read autopsy reports on the wound channels and I've hunted and killed deer,elk,bison,small game,varmints,birds,etc.Practice,practice,practice with the ammo your using set up plywood,fiberglass panels,etc & fire your shells at it then check the damage. Clays or Paper targets don't prove a thing.

AngelDecoys
06-28-2009, 11:05 AM
I've read comments about shotguns loaded with double ought buck for home use but i wonder if anyone has practiced with these loads & I don't mean one time I mean a lot.............. if that had been used inside a home it would've gone thru & thru a human and continued to wreck havoc on anything in it's path like your family or anything else in the home.

Many shooting schools will suggest double ought buck for home use. I've been to quite a few schools around the country where that's also the case. :D

BTW - Exactly what makes you think a .32 caliber shot is going to penetrate father through the house than a handgun round? ;)

JTROKS
06-28-2009, 11:06 AM
The original OP asked for best handgun for HD. I don't doubt that a shotgun loaded with #7 or #4 is a better man stopper, but when a shady character comes knocking on your door you don't answer the door with a shotgun do you? If you do you'll probably prop it behind the door risking losing it in the event the shady character becomes an aggressor pushing/pulling or punching at you. With a handgun that is ready to go tucked behind you, it is still possible to do a quick back/side step in gaining a second to present you handgun.

AngelDecoys
06-28-2009, 11:27 AM
The original OP asked for best handgun for HD.

You're right. I thought the topic was home defense, not opening the front door, or gardening. Concealment is the only plus for using a handgun in those situations.

Carry on. Sorry to get off topic.

JTROKS
06-28-2009, 11:36 AM
You're right. I thought the topic was home defense, not opening the front door, or gardening. Concealment is the only plus for using a handgun in those situations.

Carry on. Sorry to get off topic.

I'm sorry if I categorized answering the door and being around my property as home defense.

M. Sage
06-28-2009, 12:20 PM
The sound between a handgun and a rifle is relatively the same indoors. Maneuverability is dependent to your level of training. I have no trouble navigating the hall, staircase, tight corners, and rooms with my Rem 11-87. Nor is switching between a slug and 00 buck, doing malfunction drills, or movement in the dark a big deal if you practice.

BTW - There are plenty of people who are shot by .357 sig, .40 s&w, and .45 ACP who do not go down immediately. And many that don't drop until minutes later. The type of handgun and caliber is secondary to placement.

Not so much with a shotgun, or rifle round. And that's probably the primary reason long arms are used more often then handguns for HD.

It's a lot harder to miss in stressful situations with a long arm, too.

Tactics? Hole up in a room with your family, sight in on the door, put your finger on the trigger and call 911.

The original OP asked for best handgun for HD. I don't doubt that a shotgun loaded with #7 or #4 is a better man stopper, but when a shady character comes knocking on your door you don't answer the door with a shotgun do you? If you do you'll probably prop it behind the door risking losing it in the event the shady character becomes an aggressor pushing/pulling or punching at you. With a handgun that is ready to go tucked behind you, it is still possible to do a quick back/side step in gaining a second to present you handgun.

No. #7 (like any birdshot size) is pretty much useless except for killing birds and other small animals. It will not penetrate deep enough to create a wound capable of stopping a determined or drug-addled attacker. The only thing it does is make a nasty-looking but superficial wound. If you want to rely on pain response to stop an attacker, you might as well save your hearing and reduce your liability after a shooting and use a Taser or pepper spray.

#4 buck is the smallest shot size for defense, with 00 buck being the preferred size.

And no, if a shady character comes knocking at my door, I don't answer with a shotgun... I don't answer!

I might keep my P220 handy wherever I am around the house.. but plan A is always going to be the AK in the bedroom.

Gem1950
06-28-2009, 1:02 PM
It seems to me that a scattergun is probably best if one has the time and warning i.e. - you know that something bad could be about to happen because the police chopper is hovering around your neighborhood and the cop on the loudspeaker is telling everyone to remain indoors and to be on the look-out for a naked caucasian male about six feet tall with a butcherknife.

On the other hand, when it's 0200 and the dog is growling and the old lady wakes you up and says "something's happening...go se what it is!" a scattergun may not be the most wieldy instrument to be poking around corners with.

Or when someone comes to the door saying - my child is hurt, I need to use your phone! Do you come to the door with a shotgun in both hands or do you have your pistol in hand, at your side or behind your back side?

I have the scattergun in the safe ready to go and a 226 w/ 9mm HP in a hiding place that no one can see but that I can get to in 2-3 seconds.

I am confident that my pistol has sufficient attention getting qualities (as a noise maker - does anyone ever mention warning shot anymore?) and stopping power to do what needs to be done.

THT
06-28-2009, 1:02 PM
No. #7 (like any birdshot size) is pretty much useless except for killing birds and other small animals. It will not penetrate deep enough to create a wound capable of stopping a determined or drug-addled attacker. The only thing it does is make a nasty-looking but superficial wound. If you want to rely on pain response to stop an attacker, you might as well save your hearing and reduce your liability after a shooting and use a Taser or pepper spray.

#4 buck is the smallest shot size for defense, with 00 buck being the preferred size.

Quoted for importance. Penetration in the right places is the key to neutralizing a threat. If you're going to use a shotgun for HD, I highly suggest taking it out and patterning at various distances so you can understand how different loads perform and choosing the appropriate shell. My future father-in-law's M590 preferred 8-pellet low-recoil Hornady while my 18.5" M590A1 preferred Federal 9-pellet low-recoil.

http://www.tophattheater.net/pics/guns/buckshotresults.jpg

JTROKS
06-28-2009, 1:07 PM
A #7 under 7 yards is going to be superficial? I usually load my shotguns with #4s and 00 buck anyway. If someone knocks on my door I'm gonna answer it unless they are armed and ready to pounce the moment I open the door. In that case I dial 911 and let them know I'm armed with a handgun and a shotgun loaded with something that won't make a superficial wound. AKs and ARs won't be a good choice in my neighborhood, too many neighbors to endanger.