PDA

View Full Version : Maiden P220R range voyage

Casual_Shooter
06-26-2009, 11:02 AM
*disclaimer* I'm a casual gun owner and don't shoot often... don't bash my results too bad. ;)

Having stared at my new Sig Sauer P220R Stainless .45acp handgun now for a month or so, I figured I'd better take it to the range so I'd know whether or not it even fires. ;) So down to American Shooting Center I went at lunch.....

First the gun:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o147/dvflyer/Guns/Sig%20Sauer/DSCF1163.jpg

I shot 7 magazines worth of Winchester Ranger RA45t 230g ammunition. By the 6th and 7th magazine, I was a bit more comfortable with the gun.

I have never owned a .45 before and only shot one a couple of times. The handgun I usually would shoot is a Ruger P94 9mm.

This shot shows the first, second and 6th magazine (utilizing the area in the middle of the top two targets as another target area. i.e. I put one shot into that area and that became my "target".). I was shooting at somewhere around 7 yards or so. Gun performed flawlessly... as would be expected from a new gun.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o147/dvflyer/Guns/Sig%20Sauer/P220Rfirsttimeout.jpg

shoupdawg
06-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Good for you. Internal or external extractor?

Black Majik
06-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Fantastic range report, nice gun!

And ya know, good shooting. Those groups are nothing to be embarassed about. :)

BlackDrop50
06-26-2009, 12:25 PM
I wish I had hollow points to burn like that, in fact I wish I had any ammo to burn right now!! Nice Sig. Still haven't handled one yet need to go rent one.

586L-Frame
06-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Congratulations on your Sig P220R.
Nice shooting for the first time out with her.

Here are a few pics of my P220 Stainless.
586L-Frame

DLC’s SIG P220 Stainless .45acp.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/dlchan/DSC09574_DLCsSigP220Stainless-R-sid.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/dlchan/DSC09577_DLCsSigP220Stainless_L-sid.jpg

x

aca72
06-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Sweet!

Casual_Shooter
06-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the comments...

Re: shooting hollow points... It was the only thing I could find to buy at the time. :)

Good for you. Internal or external extractor?

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know... it's the newest version, so I think that means external. And I seem to remember that being a selling point in Top Gun Supply's ad...

THT
06-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Very nice; I'm considering getting one myself

Digital_Boy
06-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Casual, any other San Diego types, try the Miramar College Thursday or Saturday police pistol class. It's held at the SDPD/San Diego Revolver Club range down off Federal Blvd in National City, so it's a bit of a drive, but the instructors are all retired LEO's with lots of info to share. It definitely improved my shooting with my USP.

Incidentally, I'll be taking my black P220R home next Friday. :D

Casual_Shooter
06-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Casual, any other San Diego types, try the Miramar College Thursday or Saturday police pistol class. It's held at the SDPD/San Diego Revolver Club range down off Federal Blvd in National City, so it's a bit of a drive, but the instructors are all retired LEO's with lots of info to share. It definitely improved my shooting with my USP.

Thanks! I was just talking about taking a shooting class.

Juicymeat
06-26-2009, 1:17 PM

Any info as far as prices?

Digital_Boy
06-26-2009, 2:16 PM
Any info as far as prices?

It's a 3 unit class, so about $50 or so for the semester. They have ammo for a decent price, though they ran dry right at the end this April. They have ex-issue loaner pistols (mainly 92F's) or you can bring your own. You aren't required to buy their ammo for the class. Loaners are free, just leave your DL with the rangemaster for the duration of the class session.

Juicymeat
06-26-2009, 4:00 PM
It's a 3 unit class, so about $50 or so for the semester. They have ammo for a decent price, though they ran dry right at the end this April. They have ex-issue loaner pistols (mainly 92F's) or you can bring your own. You aren't required to buy their ammo for the class. Loaners are free, just leave your DL with the rangemaster for the duration of the class session.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

MiguelS
06-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Nice...I suck at shooting it today. I am not a normal range shooter...just started getting into it.

I hope to improve.

ZepoL
06-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Good to see that you finally got around to breaking her in. I have the exact same piece which I also picked up about a month ago. I've put just under 400 rounds through it and love this smooth-shooting .45.

AlliedArmory
06-27-2009, 4:51 AM
thanks for the report. Sigs rock

MAC USMC
06-27-2009, 2:23 PM
The best handgun instructor I ever met is Dave BRIDGEMAN who instructs at the American Shooting Center in San Diego. He is personable, hands-on, patient, and very knowledgeable. He is a retired SDPD firearms instructor. He is worth the cost and his training will actually save you money in time and money.

slick_711
06-27-2009, 2:32 PM
The best handgun instructor I ever met is Dave BRIDGMAN who instructs at the American Shooting Center in San Diego. He is personable, hands-on, patient, and very knowledgeable. He is a retired SDPD firearms instructor. He is worth the cost and his training will actually save you money in time and money.

+1 on this. I've trained with a lot of people, and Dave is one of the best.

We call him Preacher Dave, as he likes to share every bit of information he can. His group classes always run late (and it's not boring info). He does private lessons as well, his rate for a typical 2 hour lesson is $150 (covers everything but ammo and you have the range to yourself). He does everything from basic safety/familiarization lessons to advanced combat shooting, speed shooting, shotgun, rifle, etc. He is retired SDPD, a world class USPSA Grandmaster, and has been training in the LE/MIL and civilian sectors for years.

To the OP: Glad you had a good range day! Looks like you're shooting well. Hope you continue to enjoy the new pistol.

Casual_Shooter
06-27-2009, 3:36 PM
Thanks Mac and Slick.... I'll have to see about contacting Dave.

Just put the new guide rod in today (replaced the black plastic with a stainless one- I like the look of it better). Should be shooting much better next outing. ;)

chefdude
06-27-2009, 3:45 PM
congrats on the Sig p220R.......I love my p220 combat...great guns