PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth joining the CRPA?

KevMorris
06-26-2009, 8:54 AM
I was a member of the CRPA for probably 15 years simply because I felt I should do my part. But I dropped my membership, because apart from sending me a newsletter which I didn't like, and my annual gun laws pamphlet, I didn't really see much benefit.

Politically, it seems like the NRA are the heavy hitters. Wouldn't the $22 bucks in annual dues to the CRPA be better spent donating to the NRA-ILA and PVF?

So I guess my question is, why should I re-join the CRPA vs. donate that money to the NRA?

Acorn556
07-13-2009, 3:11 AM
I'm in a similar boat and I'm wondering if I should joind this club or the one that goes to the range closest to me. I don't see much NRA Action at the range and I see this club working with the range.

I think they will tell you CRPA works locally and NRA works nationally so it's not as CA focused as CRPA is.

wildhawker
07-13-2009, 11:49 AM
If one can only afford dues to one organization, I think NRA would be the answer most would give. If you can swing more than one, NRA, CRPA, SAF and supporting CGF would be a pretty comprehensive upper-level list. CRPA is in a position to do things no other org is, and many of us anticipate that their strengths will be highlighted with the new leadership and direction, especially if some of the new candidates (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=200444) are elected to the Board.

There are others out there as well (Madison Society Foundation comes to mind) that support some great RKBA work, such as Madison's support of Kilmer/Nordyke.

woodsman
07-14-2009, 1:12 PM
I pay dues to both NRA and CRPA.

I recently joined CRPA as I hope they will be more in touch with local legislation concerns and will be positioned better to respond.

That being said, I wasn't impressed with the CRPA comments during the AB962 senate public safety hearing.

I am looking forward to seeing how they further respond to SB962 and other legislation during the rest of the year on the members behalf.

scratch
07-14-2009, 7:45 PM
I have been a Life member of NRA and CRPA since the mid 1970's.

Recently I have been thinking about renouncing these memberships. I have recently joined the Gun Owners of America and soon the Gun Owners of California.

The NRA is taking a wait and see attitude with the newly nominated Supreme Court Justice and the CRPA has a "watch" rather than "opposed" on SB41. In addition, I understand that the CRPA now states they must take the same position as the NRA on all legislation.

Folks, we need a more activist approach on the 2A!! We have to take back our liberties before we don't have any left.

hoffmang
07-14-2009, 8:33 PM
In addition, I understand that the CRPA now states they must take the same position as the NRA on all legislation.

SB-41 was amended to take all the anti-gunowner crap out. Once that happened, then NRA and CRPA went neutral on the bill - not before.

Me, I prefer to succeed at keeping gunowners lives as simple as possible and if the other side will take amendments to placate gun owners, they can have them.

Extremism is for terrorists and the marginalized.

-Gene

Liberty1
07-14-2009, 9:07 PM
I pay dues to both NRA and CRPA.

I recently joined CRPA as I hope they will be more in touch with local legislation concerns and will be positioned better to respond.

That being said, I wasn't impressed with the CRPA comments during the AB962 senate public safety hearing.

I am looking forward to seeing how they further respond to SB962 and other legislation during the rest of the year on the members behalf.

The NRA and now CPRA (they're going through some internal changes for the better) are doing Herculean work in CA. There is plenty to criticize over various issues (mostly in the past) but I would ask you to keep supporting them.

Recently I have been thinking about renouncing these memberships. I have recently joined the Gun Owners of America and soon the Gun Owners of California.

I just let my GOA and GOC memberships laps as I haven't seen them accomplish anything. I like their rhetoric, but I like NRA/CRPA/CGF/SAF's strategies and results better.

You'll find as you research the issues in CA that many like minded groups, post Heller and Nordyke, are coordinating their legal efforts to maximize strategy. Also check out the Calguns Foundation and their 2nd Amendment lawsuits (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/) (founded by members of this forum last year). Now is the worst time to pull support from the above organizations when you consider the recent successes and suits in the pipe line.

If you are still impatient then perhaps showing up for one of Pullnshoot's open carry events would ring your bell and satisfy your passions until the pace of the legal process catches up with your/our enthusiasm (study the law and risks (http://www.californiaopencarry.org/)).

jnojr
07-15-2009, 3:04 PM
I dropped my CRPA membership quite a while ago, as it was a closed system set up for the benefit of the "old boys club".

That has supposedly changed recently. There was a lot of talk around here of reform, even some CalGunners getting on the Board of Directors, etc. So I picked up another year membership as "probation"... I'm willing to give them a chance and see if the crooked old incestuous relationships with lobbyists really are dead and gone, and that the CRPA is now actually dedicated to protecting our rights rather than enriching a few people and giving them a bully pulpit.

scratch
07-15-2009, 5:30 PM
SB-41 was amended to take all the anti-gunowner crap out. Once that happened, then NRA and CRPA went neutral on the bill - not before.

Me, I prefer to succeed at keeping gunowners lives as simple as possible and if the other side will take amendments to placate gun owners, they can have them.

-Gene

As a veteran, Napolitano thinks I'm an extremist, so maybe your right.

Anyway, I just donated $35 to the CalGuns Foundation instead of the GOC. Hope we can make a difference.

hoffmang
07-15-2009, 6:30 PM
As a veteran, Napolitano thinks I'm an extremist, so maybe your right.

Anyway, I just donated $35 to the CalGuns Foundation instead of the GOC. Hope we can make a difference.

And thank you for supporting CGF.

-Gene

comrau00
07-15-2009, 11:58 PM
Such a very amazing link!

demande pret personnel (http://simulationpretpersonnel.com)

Acorn556
07-26-2009, 7:29 AM
So the CRPA is like a California specific NRA right? They don't organize shooting competitions or stuff like that it's more of a legislative group.

hoffmang
07-26-2009, 2:13 PM
So the CRPA is like a California specific NRA right? They don't organize shooting competitions or stuff like that it's more of a legislative group.

They have primarily organized shooting events and they do a very good job of that. In the past they've needed improvements on the legislative side and those improvements have recently been implemented.

-Gene

AJAX22
07-27-2009, 2:14 AM

-Gene

And gun owners are not marginalized in CA?

Fire in the Hole
07-27-2009, 5:04 PM
I initially joined CRPA out of a requirement to purchase an M1 Garand through the CMP back in 1988. I stayed with it for 10 years, but was dissapointed, saw no local benifits, and let my membership expire. So far, I don't regret my decision.

scr83jp
07-29-2009, 8:31 AM
I was a member of the CRPA for probably 15 years simply because I felt I should do my part. But I dropped my membership, because apart from sending me a newsletter which I didn't like, and my annual gun laws pamphlet, I didn't really see much benefit.

Politically, it seems like the NRA are the heavy hitters. Wouldn't the $22 bucks in annual dues to the CRPA be better spent donating to the NRA-ILA and PVF?

So I guess my question is, why should I re-join the CRPA vs. donate that money to the NRA? While attending the Raahauges Shooting Sports Fairs NRA reps were there along with many other organizations but not CRPA.

ScottB
08-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Apparently I am in the same situation as many others. I joined CRPA many years ago mainly to get a (then) DCM Garand. I stayed a member for about a dozen years and let it lapse because it seemed very ineffective in protecting our gun rights, the newsletter was insipid and every rifle range within a reasonable radius of my home closed, one after the other.

The antics of their lobbyist and his girlfriend-lobbyist I have recently been reading about in the 2nd Amendment forum are especially troubling because they correlate with what I had long suspected - that our gun rights were sold out in favor of the interests of firearms retailers.

I believe in second chances, but how will CRPA demonstrate they deserve another chance from former members?

hoffmang
08-02-2009, 10:36 PM
The antics of their lobbyist and his girlfriend-lobbyist I have recently been reading about in the 2nd Amendment forum are especially troubling because they correlate with what I had long suspected - that our gun rights were sold out in favor of the interests of firearms retailers.

That lobbyist is no longer with CRPA. As such, now is a pretty good time to give them a second chance.

-Gene

ScottB
08-03-2009, 8:36 AM
Fair enough. But what is their plan to become an effective organization and undo some of the damage? It seems like CGF and NRA and maybe even COHA are doing all the work - and there is much to be done

bwiese
08-04-2009, 4:36 PM
Fair enough. But what is their plan to become an effective organization and undo some of the damage? It seems like CGF and NRA and maybe even COHA are doing all the work - and there is much to be done

The first step is to get good new leadership and also representation in Sacramento. In complement to New CRPA's new Exec Director John Fields, we have a new legislative liaison, Tom Pedersen. Tom is a verysharp guy - both technically, and in the 'social' ways necessary to get our point across. And he's held in fine regard by the other gun groups. That's how "things get done".

Short term goal for the California coalition is always to
1. stop bad gun laws
2. keep DOJ BoF under monitoring/control & continued challenge;
2. promote significant incremental change: tiny well-planned changes
can be exploited for big results
3. #1 important even more to stop bad gun laws before favorable
court decisions come down, so we have less to fight in future

ScottB
08-04-2009, 4:54 PM
Thanks for a well thought out answer, Bill

I'm sold. I'll renew and give CRPA another shot. Things need to get better in CA.

johnny_22
09-11-2009, 8:15 AM
Wife signed up, too, as an associate member (don't need two copies of their "magazine"). Web site is better and with Calgun members sending articles, I picture a better "magazine" in the future as well.

With the recent changes, I gave them an extra $100. Got a thank you letter back from them.

They are now working with the NRA, rather than against them. I ask that you join the CRPA (and the NRA as well) to help stop bad gun legislation in California.

corrupt
06-10-2010, 11:03 PM
I recently purchased a CRPA life membership, along with giving $50 to CGF. I am very happy in knowing that Gene Hoffman is a board member of CRPA. Thanks for all your hard work.

Sunday
06-11-2010, 3:06 PM
It can't hurt but then I am a life member. The John Birch Society is great to get all the news about things happening in the Government at least 5 years before it makes the main stream news if it ever does.

Sunday
06-11-2010, 3:07 PM
I would join several gun groups.

sass2924
06-11-2010, 4:36 PM
The CRPA has a very sad marketing plan. They are here for the benefit of California gun owners and after the 100+ years of them being organizied there are still questions of should I join or what does CRPA stand for, amazing. I think the CRPA has been/become an "old boys" network. They like to have their 2 meetings a year and a few teleconferences and think they are making a difference. They have not become an important part of the California gun owners life. This is not to say they are not working for us but they are sort of like a computer program that works in the background no one sees it and if they do they probley don't know what it's doing. Here's a thought... Why does'nt the CRPA contact every FFL in the state of California and ask them to get on board and require proof of CRPA membership when a firearm is bought or transfered. If the person can't or does not want to what good are they in the fight for gun ownership in the state. And if the FFL does not want to it only shows the don't give a ***** either. What about the cost some will argue...$22 a year, tell them to skip a couple of meals a McDonalds. OK enough for now, I'll get off the soapbox.

Mail Clerk
06-12-2010, 7:52 AM
I feel it's a catch twenty two issue. Without these two organizations more and more of our shooting rights will be taken away from all of us!!!!! Remember California is NOT friendly towards shooters that obey the law and pay taxes. One the other hand though it seems more and more of the shooting ranges are being closed forcing people to drive much farther just to have a little time to relax in the outdoors. With gas prices being the way they are currently all of my shooting plans has to be well planned just to afford gas. So the other toss of the coin is that without CRPA and NRA were nothing but it also appears they're not doing anything anyway except for taking our annual dues.

lavgrunt
06-14-2010, 4:43 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=307511

Amazing!!! I don't know what would be worse, not getting a booth or getting a booth and not showing up.

The CRPA booth was across from the NRA booth at the main entrance. Someone was there all 3 days from opening to closing........Don't know how anyone could have missed us !!

It was a great event !! Signed up a bunch of new members and talked to some great folks..........

sass2924
06-14-2010, 9:17 AM
The CRPA booth was across from the NRA booth at the main entrance. Someone was there all 3 days from opening to closing........Don't know how anyone could have missed us !!

It was a great event !! Signed up a bunch of new members and talked to some great folks..........

I deleted my previous post based on this info. Happy to hear we were represented and have some new members.

telcolineman
06-16-2010, 10:11 PM
I am an NRA member and just recently became a CRPA member along with my fiance, She doesn't know it yet though. I personally feel being a firearms enthusiast that we need all the help we can get

Thanks Fredieusa

D.M.C.
06-17-2010, 3:53 AM
That would be called racketeering. Sounds like a very bad idea considering you're asking FFL holders to break the law by discriminating against those that hadn't "paid their dues'.

The CRPA has a very sad marketing plan. They are here for the benefit of California gun owners and after the 100+ years of them being organizied there are still questions of should I join or what does CRPA stand for, amazing. I think the CRPA has been/become an "old boys" network. They like to have their 2 meetings a year and a few teleconferences and think they are making a difference. They have not become an important part of the California gun owners life. This is not to say they are not working for us but they are sort of like a computer program that works in the background no one sees it and if they do they probley don't know what it's doing. Here's a thought... Why does'nt the CRPA contact every FFL in the state of California and ask them to get on board and require proof of CRPA membership when a firearm is bought or transfered. If the person can't or does not want to what good are they in the fight for gun ownership in the state. And if the FFL does not want to it only shows the don't give a ***** either. What about the cost some will argue...$22 a year, tell them to skip a couple of meals a McDonalds. OK enough for now, I'll get off the soapbox.

Whitesmoke
06-20-2010, 10:40 AM

This is why they will never get a penny from me. The CRPA is a buisness plain and simple...they have done nothing for CA gun owners.

Whitesmoke
06-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Here's a thought... Why does'nt the CRPA contact every FFL in the state of California and ask them to get on board and require proof of CRPA membership when a firearm is bought or transfered. If the person can't or does not want to what good are they in the fight for gun ownership in the state. And if the FFL does not want to it only shows the don't give a ***** either. What about the cost some will argue...$22 a year, tell them to skip a couple of meals a McDonalds. OK enough for now, I'll get off the soapbox.

Wow...all I can say is "WOW!" :rolleyes:

berto
06-20-2010, 3:24 PM
This is why they will never get a penny from me. The CRPA is a buisness plain and simple...they have done nothing for CA gun owners.

Those issues were fixed. There's new leadership and CRPA is now on the ball and contributing to the fight.

packnrat
06-20-2010, 11:36 PM
i like all the address stickers i have gotten from them.

but due to lack of money i have had to drop out of ALL the groups that have gotten money from me. even had to cut back on shooting just due to the fuel costs to get to the shooting range. soon this almost free web access will be gone. mickey D's has free access will have to look into it...but i can not stand the junk they sell.

living paycheck to paycheck is not fun...as sometimes the check just does not make it to next week....mother hubbard has nothing on me.

glockwise2000
06-23-2010, 5:41 PM
I have the same idea as the OP has. The light has struck upon me when some of the top CGers are campaigning to get into CRPA board lately. The only reason that I renewed my membership with them. Othewise, I would just keep donating to both NRA and CGF for my fight.

I've always seen CRPA as a lame duck before, but now if those people could get in the board, we might get a chance to turn the cycle up to where it belongs and to its rightful place.

corrupt
06-23-2010, 5:44 PM
When I joined I let them know I did so because of calguns and my confidence in the people involved in both organizations.

17+1
07-21-2010, 10:38 AM
They're offering front sight course coupons with membership now...seems like enough of a reason to snag the $300 lifetime membership...

corrupt
07-22-2010, 9:09 AM
They're offering front sight course coupons with membership now...seems like enough of a reason to snag the $300 lifetime membership...

Yes I got my certificate within 2-3 weeks.

Malthusian
07-23-2010, 6:39 AM
Living in California, I am more concerned with the laws that affect us in the PRK.

As joyful as it was to have SCOTUS strike down Chicago's' gun ban. It hasn't changed anything in CA.....yet

CRPA I would hope, would put my money where "I" am most interested in changing current law and fighting new "bad" laws.

Where I live

Yes I am a member

wildhawker
07-23-2010, 7:30 AM
The recent landmark decision has changed something - we have 2A rights in California.

Rest assured that CRPA, NRA and the rest of the coalition are very eager to attack our unconstitutional gun control schemes. :43:

Also, you should know that CRPA's legislative liaison Tom Pederson is an excellent advocate and a truly good man - we're well-represented in Sacto.

-Brandon

Living in California, I am more concerned with the laws that affect us in the PRK.

As joyful as it was to have SCOTUS strike down Chicago's' gun ban. It hasn't changed anything in CA.....yet

CRPA I would hope, would put my money where "I" am most interested in changing current law and fighting new "bad" laws.

Where I live

Yes I am a member

scribe
07-30-2010, 2:31 PM
I joined years ago. Besides their lobbying muscle (if any), it allowed me to sign up for the DCM (now ODCMP) raffle and I was permitted by Bill Clinton's gubmint to buy a M-1D. :)

goober
09-01-2010, 7:50 PM
The first step is to get good new leadership and also representation in Sacramento. In complement to New CRPA's new Exec Director John Fields, we have a new legislative liaison, Tom Pedersen. Tom is a verysharp guy - both technically, and in the 'social' ways necessary to get our point across. And he's held in fine regard by the other gun groups. That's how "things get done".

Short term goal for the California coalition is always to
1. stop bad gun laws
2. keep DOJ BoF under monitoring/control & continued challenge;
2. promote significant incremental change: tiny well-planned changes
can be exploited for big results
3. #1 important even more to stop bad gun laws before favorable
court decisions come down, so we have less to fight in future

just thought it worth bringing this old thread up in the context of last night's victories in the CA legislature on AB 1934, 1810, and 2358...
GO CRPA & NRA!!!