PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy a CA DOJ approved gun lock?

fr0ng
06-26-2009, 9:23 AM
Any retail stores that sell em for cheap?

Q
06-26-2009, 9:27 AM
Walmart:)

fr0ng
06-26-2009, 9:27 AM
I tried a couple WalMarts (ones that didn't carry ammo) and they didn't have them.

Q
06-26-2009, 9:40 AM
Big 5 but not sure of the price. Walmart was $5.

Oldnoob
06-26-2009, 9:43 AM
try different walmart, but turner's also sells and so any gunshop.

JTROKS
06-26-2009, 9:43 AM
I tried several times with Walmart, all they had were the more pricey ones. I usually return them anyway then I end up using the refund to purchase what ammo they have on the shelves.

cal3gunner
06-26-2009, 9:58 AM
I tried several times with Walmart, all they had were the more pricey ones. I usually return them anyway then I end up using the refund to purchase what ammo they have on the shelves.

same here, buy the lock at walmart or target with a good return policy and then take it back after have possession of the gun. Other wise you are going to have lots of locks stacked up.

SCMA-1
06-26-2009, 10:00 AM
If you were down here in Socal, I'd just give you one; I have no use for the pile of locks I've got.

SCMA-1

Eroland7
06-26-2009, 10:01 AM
most all gun stores or sporting good stores. If your really hurting for one, I will give you one for free, you just pay a few bucks to ship it to you. Let me know, but they should be at every gun shop/sporting good store for like $5.

Ezekiel2000
06-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Are you buying a new gun and don't want to pay the stores prices?
If so, does it really make financial sense to drive around looking for one a few bucks cheaper? Or do you just want one for storage?

domokun
06-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Walmart. Buy one, take delivery of your new handgun, and then promptly return it back to Walmart. ;)

JTROKS
06-26-2009, 10:09 AM
same here, buy the lock at walmart or target with a good return policy and then take it back after have possession of the gun. Other wise you are going to have lots of locks stacked up.

LOL! When the rep at the gunshop tells me they don't have the cheaper CA approved lock to sell me for the gun I'm picking up I tell them I'd sell them a shoe box full at a discounted price. :D

hkusp9c
06-26-2009, 10:15 AM
wally world!

fr0ng
06-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Are you buying a new gun and don't want to pay the stores prices?
If so, does it really make financial sense to drive around looking for one a few bucks cheaper? Or do you just want one for storage?

Picking up a new gun today, and I need a lock that I've purchased within 30 days to take with me so I can transport it home.

Rekrab
06-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Any new gun should come with a gun lock.

RolinThundr
06-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Picking up a new gun today, and I need a lock that I've purchased within 30 days to take with me so I can transport it home.

Why does it have to have been purchased in the last 30 days? I wasn't told anything like this when I bought a used gun that didn't come with a lock.

Any new gun should come with a gun lock.

That's my understanding as well, I thought NIB guns had to come with a lock in order to be considered "safe" enough for CA. I know all Sigs and Springfields do.

bohoki
06-26-2009, 12:38 PM
see if a friend can sell you a project childsafe

there is no requirement that the sale is from a retail establishment

cal3gunner
06-26-2009, 12:39 PM
The last time I bought a stripped lower from an at home ffl, he didn't have locks to sell so thats why I went to wally world to get the cheap lock and return it.

Most new guns come with locks so you don't have to worry about it

Lissauer
06-26-2009, 1:28 PM
Police station for free

cal3gunner
06-26-2009, 2:30 PM
Police station for free

I believe you'll need a reciept that shows you bought the lock in the last 30 days to meet the DOJ requirements.

ro442173
06-26-2009, 2:47 PM
I'll give you one. I'm in Antioch... let me know. Oh, I'm in Moraga tonight.

ke6guj
06-26-2009, 2:53 PM
Why does it have to have been purchased in the last 30 days? I wasn't told anything like this when I bought a used gun that didn't come with a lock.

12088.1. (a) All firearms sold or transferred in this state by a licensed firearms dealer, including private transfers through a dealer, and all firearms manufactured in this state, shall include or be accompanied by a firearms safety device that is listed on the Department of Justice's roster of approved firearms safety devices and that is identified as appropriate for that firearm by reference to either the manufacturer and model of the firearm, or to the physical characteristics of the firearm that match those listed on the roster for use with the device.

(e) The sale or transfer of a firearm shall be exempt from subdivision (a) if all of the following apply:
(1) The purchaser or transferee purchases an approved safety device no more than 30 days prior to the day the purchaser or transferee takes possession of the firearm.
(2) The purchaser or transferee presents the approved safety device to the firearms dealer when picking up the firearm.
(3) The purchaser or transferee presents an original receipt to the firearms dealer which shows the date of purchase, the name, and the model number of the safety device.
(4) The firearms dealer verifies that the requirements in (1) to (3), inclusive, have been satisfied.
(5) The firearms dealer maintains a copy of the receipt along with the dealers' record of sales of firearms.

That's my understanding as well, I thought NIB guns had to come with a lock in order to be considered "safe" enough for CA. I know all Sigs and Springfields do.AFAIK, there is no requirement that a NIB gun come from the factory with a CA-rostered lock. In fact, I've heard that some included locks aren't Rostered and the FFL must remove the lock from the package per
12088.15. (a) No person shall keep for commercial sale, offer, or expose for commercial sale, or commercially sell any firearms safety device that is not listed on the roster maintained pursuant to subdivision (d) of Section 12088, or that does not comply with the standards for firearms safety devices adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2.

So, if the gun comes without an approved lock, for whatever reason, a handgun lock as to be provided or an exemption per state/federal laws documented.

Ezekiel2000
06-26-2009, 2:57 PM

Most gun shops have the locks in stock, so if your gun didn't already come with one, they will sell you one. You could call them first to be sure I guess. If they don't have it, Big 5 or another gun store should have one to sell you.