PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Contender Break Open Pistols

atavuss
06-26-2009, 8:07 AM
who has em? what do you think of em?
I ordered a SS TC Encore Pro Hunter in .22-250 and the dealer said he could get it in a couple of days. it has been over a week now and still no TC. they had a pro hunter in .223 in stock, starting to wonder if I should just take that instead.........it will be used for Belding ground squirrels

dfletcher
06-26-2009, 8:43 AM
who has em? what do you think of em?
I ordered a SS TC Encore Pro Hunter in .22-250 and the dealer said he could get it in a couple of days. it has been over a week now and still no TC. they had a pro hunter in .223 in stock, starting to wonder if I should just take that instead.........it will be used for Belding ground squirrels

This is a rifle, yes? I really don't think a week or so is very long to wait, give it a bit of time. If you want it now, then grab the 223.

I have a bunch including about 30 barrels for mostly handgun & some rifle. I've got a 30 Carbine barrel on order from Match Grade Machine, just for plinking fun. I think they're great handguns/rifles, but I stay away from the bigger bores in rifle configuration. The Encore and Contender as rifles are really just too little & light for me to have much fun above 30 cal. I've got no problem shooting 350 Rem Mag, 375 H & H, 45/70 & 405 out of the Encore handgun, but not from a rifle. My favorite rifle set up is in 25.35 Winchester, it's accurate as hell and little recoil. I think the Encore rifle is best in the 22 to 25 caliber range.

Midway and Grafs carry T/C Encore barrels, Natchez carries Encore barrels also and they cost only about $165.00 depending on caliber. They're made by Bergara under the direction of Ed Shilen of Shilen Barrels. They're pretty good, not as good as the custom makers like MGM or Bullberry but for $165.00you can't go wrong.

If you're at all inclined to experiment or like variety, there's alot you can do with the T/C.

Visit Mike Bellm's website on the T/C guns, he knows quite a bit and works on them exclusively.

atavuss
06-26-2009, 8:56 AM
it is a break open single shot pistol with a 15" fluted bull barrel. the thing I don't like is when the store says they can get it in a day or two and still don't have after a week. I had planned on taking it to a squirrel shoot and I told them that I had a very small time window to get the pistol and get it set up.

Fjold
06-26-2009, 8:58 AM
I used to shoot TC contenders in IHMSA (Metalic Silhouette) but switched to a Remington XP. The good thing about TCs is the easily changed barrels and different cartridges chambered for them. You can shoot everything from 17 rimfire to 500 Nitro express out of a handgun.

dfletcher
06-26-2009, 10:27 AM
it is a break open single shot pistol with a 15" fluted bull barrel. the thing I don't like is when the store says they can get it in a day or two and still don't have after a week. I had planned on taking it to a squirrel shoot and I told them that I had a very small time window to get the pistol and get it set up.

Oops - should have figured that out, we're in the handgun section.:rolleyes:

I guess over the years I've learned to take delivery time assurances with a grain of salt. I don't know what range you'll need to reach (how large the little critters are) and if doing 223 will have you come up short, or what scope you may be using. Out of a 15" barrel with an 8X scope, I think the 223 will get you to 200 yds or so with some decent grouping, the 22-250 maybe 50 or so yards more? I was at the 200 yd range last week using a 15" XP in 223, 10X Redfield and hit "minute of apple" (literally) easily.

I think familiarity with the 223 and you gun/scope combo would beat going cold (no practice) with the 22-250. So if the 223 can be gotten maybe using that and a fair amount of practice will work best.

atavuss
06-26-2009, 4:16 PM
the shop called me this afternoon, the .22-250 has arrived. I ran down and started the DROS on it. found some WWB varmint rounds in 40 packs for pretty reasonable too. if the TC will shoot this well then it will work out well. now I need to find a scope mount and figure out what scope I want for it.
BTW, they no longer had the .223 TC.

22popnsplat
06-26-2009, 4:26 PM
I to am a contender fan , I have approx 25 barrels . I have several barrels that will shoot sub moa and have many times embarrased rifle shooters, it usually requires a rifle cartridge for me to get sub moa but i have a few handgun cartridges that will . as a matter a fact I won last months rifle 22 rimfire shoot with a contender pistol here on cal guns . I gave my self a challange of hitting golf balls at 200 meters and met that challange with a little work and a 223 barrel. I myself have found that I dont need a encore , If the contender cant handle it I probally wont want to shoot it very much . be carfull , 25 barrels and then you want scopes it can get costly . the scopes usually cost as much as the barrel if not $100 more.

thebullet
06-26-2009, 5:00 PM
I own a 30 harrett 14 inch barrel in a tc pistol. it is a old'ie i got from my grandfather, its a necked down 30-30 round and i love it. I hand load because you cant buy wildcat ammo and i can get tighter groups . below is a group i shot this weekend at one hundred yards. im still working loads to get it tighter. i think you will be happy with your 22-250. have fun.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n323/thebullet82/Image142.jpg

ScottB
06-26-2009, 5:04 PM