PDA

View Full Version : Question about rear sight...P226 Siglite Sights

TitanCi
06-26-2009, 12:07 AM
My 226 came with factory Siglite night sights on it. The front and rear are both No. 8. My question is that are the sights "just" put on there or are they put on there with some precision at least? I ask because the rear sight is slightly off centered to the right of the pistol, so would this affect my shot in anyway? I measured it and it seems to be about 0.25 - 0.50mm off (miniscule, I know, but I just want to know).

Was it meant to be off center by this amount or was someone just lazy? If it's not supposed to be off center at all...what the hell do I do?

(btw, in regards to "off center" I am measuring from the side where the sight ends to where the end of the "groove" where the sight sits in the pistol is)
TIA

slick_711
06-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Typically it should be centered up. May have been bumped or an issue with the install. Could have also been intentional to zero the pistol. Has it given you an issue with your shooting (i.e. are you shooting to the right)?

If you'd like I can take a look at it and correct it for you. Shoot me a PM.

TitanCi
06-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Typically it should be centered up. May have been bumped or an issue with the install. Could have also been intentional to zero the pistol. Has it given you an issue with your shooting (i.e. are you shooting to the right)?

If you'd like I can take a look at it and correct it for you. Shoot me a PM.

Really? Sweet! :) You have the tools to adjust sights? You've done this before? From my past targets, some do show that I shoot to the right, some not, so I'm not sure if it's me or the pistol. Perhaps I need one more range trip to see if it's the pistol or not. Either way, when I find out, I will take you up on your offer! THANK YOU SO MUCH! :D

slick_711
06-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Well, you want to make sure you're shooting nice consistent groups before you adjust the sights either way. Otherwise there is no real benefit to the change.

Next time you go to the range take some time to shot a few 5 shot groups and see exactly where your point of impact is in relation to your point of aim.

As to having the tools and having done it before, yes. I'm even factory certified to do so. ;)

I don't know what range you shoot at, but you may be able to meet up with me and we can take a look at your sights while you're there shooting.

oldvanhalenrules
06-26-2009, 10:18 AM
I ordered a 226R with night sights from the factory last year. Out of the box, it was shooting 3-4 inches left of center at 25 yds. I ended up buying MGW's tool to move the rear (right, in this case). When aligned correctly, the rear sight wase not perfectly centered in the groove. But my understanding is that a range of variances in mfg, fit, and even the shooter make it pretty unlikely to find a properly sighted pistol or rifle in which front and rear sights are perfectly centered in the grooves.

Someone on this forum probably knows whether or not SigArms does a test fire to make sure the sights are dialed-in. I believe other manufacturers do this, but that may only be done for higher-end, custom pistols.

Rob360
06-26-2009, 2:27 PM
I ordered a 226R with night sights from the factory last year. Out of the box, it was shooting 3-4 inches left of center at 25 yds. I ended up buying MGW's tool to move the rear (right, in this case). When aligned correctly, the rear sight wase not perfectly centered in the groove. But my understanding is that a range of variances in mfg, fit, and even the shooter make it pretty unlikely to find a properly sighted pistol or rifle in which front and rear sights are perfectly centered in the grooves.

Someone on this forum probably knows whether or not SigArms does a test fire to make sure the sights are dialed-in. I believe other manufacturers do this, but that may only be done for higher-end, custom pistols.

You would think something like a Sig 226 would constitute a "higher end" pistol that would have the sights dialed in at least to some degree.

J Chris
06-26-2009, 2:32 PM
I have a sig 220, and noticed the rear sight is off center as well. I didnít measure it but I noticed this while cleaning after shooting this weekend. I hope it was intentionally set up this way on. If I remember correctly it is off towards the left side. Iím not the best shot so I donít know if it is shooting off or not, but at closer distances it seems to be good.

slick_711
06-26-2009, 9:57 PM
Someone on this forum probably knows whether or not SigArms does a test fire to make sure the sights are dialed-in.

They do indeed.

Rob360
06-27-2009, 9:10 AM
They do indeed.

Thanks, that's what I thought.