PDA

View Full Version : PPT on a handgun purchased outside of CALIFORNIA

DanHuuN
06-25-2009, 11:43 PM
So I have a cousin who is a resident of CALIFORNIA however currently stationed in UTAH. He purchased a Para-Ordnance 7.45 LDA Ltd. and is deciding to sell it to a friend here in California. My question is does he need to perform a "self registration" to the DOJ BEFORE he performs a PPT? Or can he just perform a PPT at any local gun shop?

Thanks.

DanHuuN
06-27-2009, 3:46 AM
btt

Dever
06-27-2009, 3:56 AM
Great question, hope someone answers.

Hayashi Killian
06-27-2009, 4:42 AM
He would need to fill out the paperwork with the DOJ for an interstate transfer, and once that's done, he can perform a PPT with the assistance of an FFL. At least, that's my take on the matter.

rivviepop
06-27-2009, 9:55 AM
Two important factors first: #1, is the specific pistol on the Certguns CA list? and #2, is your cousin physically in CA to meet at the FFL with the pistol? Various actions would have to be performed (or indeed may not be possible) depending on the combination of answers. It would go something like:

1: no, 2: no: cousin needs to physically come to CA with pistol
1: yes 2: no: cousin ships pistol to FFL, buyer subject to dealer sale (30-day)
1: no/yes 2: yes: just go to FFL and sell it PPT (I think) (possible self-reg done first?)

munkeeboi
06-27-2009, 10:11 AM
No self reg is necessary if cousin legally purchased and transported into ca regardless if it's on the roster or not. Just ppt at ffl

Librarian
06-27-2009, 12:40 PM
No self reg is necessary if cousin legally purchased and transported into ca regardless if it's on the roster or not. Just ppt at ffl

Yes, I think this is the right answer.

Legally purchased out of state, moved back here, the options for 'personal handgun importer' are (2) (A) On or after January 1, 1998, within 60 days of bringing a
pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon
the person into this state, a personal handgun importer shall do one
of the following:
(i) Forward by prepaid mail or deliver in person to the Department
of Justice, a report prescribed by the department including
information concerning that individual and a description of the
firearm in question.
(ii) Sell or transfer the firearm in accordance with the
provisions of subdivision (d) or in accordance with the provisions of
an exemption from subdivision (d).
(iii) Sell or transfer the firearm to a dealer licensed pursuant
to Section 12071.
(iv) Sell or transfer the firearm to a sheriff or police
department.
(ii) includes PPT.

DanHuuN
06-27-2009, 1:49 PM
So he doesn't need to do a self reg. first? If so, he will be in town on the 6th and will be able to perform a PPT right? Please advise.

hoffmang
06-27-2009, 1:54 PM
He should just perform a straight PPT transfer. He'll have no issues.

-Gene

rivviepop
06-27-2009, 2:26 PM
So he doesn't need to do a self reg. first? If so, he will be in town on the 6th and will be able to perform a PPT right? Please advise.

Many (most?) of the gun shops around me are closed on Mondays, which is the 6th -- you might call some places today and line up your PPT location to be sure they're open and their hours.

Rudolf the Red
06-27-2009, 2:39 PM
He should just perform a straight PPT transfer. He'll have no issues.

-Gene

I agree. DOJ is more concerned about where the gun is going than where it's coming from, IMO.