View Full Version : Springfield Champion Operator

06-25-2009, 9:20 PM

It's not on the roster, and I've got a chance to pick up one of these, is it worth 900.00 to get one in ca. Any and all of your input is greatly appreciated.

06-25-2009, 9:36 PM
For a hard-to-get gun in CA, I'd pay $900 for one, new.

06-25-2009, 9:48 PM
You would have no problem selling it if you dont want it. Get it!

06-25-2009, 10:01 PM
new or used (condition)?

06-25-2009, 10:12 PM

06-25-2009, 10:14 PM
The Lightweight Champion (OD two tone) is my carry gun. I've been very happy with it in most respects. It's light and comfortable to carry, still shoots fairly comfortably, is very accurate.

My only complaint: I was a bit disappointed in the finish. Both the slide and frame showed holster wear very early into the gun's use. The slide has one major area on the forward end of the dustcover where the finish is missing for in a triangular slice about an inch long. I carry it in a 5" holster, so I'd imagine the wear is from the gun's internal slide/frame fit. Still love and carry the gun, it's a tool, finish doesn't really matter to me. Besides, I bump into stuff regularly and now the finish on the sights is all dinged up too. I was just surprised to see that their highly toted "armory kote" finish didn't hold up better.

As to the LC Operator... I really don't see a need for a rail on a 4" lightweight gun. It just doesn't suit my uses. But then, if you like it and want it, go for it. Is $900 a good deal: yes.

06-25-2009, 10:27 PM
I have an older Champion and like it a lot. This one had a single spring recoil assembly which got tired and weak. Sent the gun to Springfield Armory for a tune-up and got a dual spring recoil assembly installed. I purchased a spare since I am keeping the .45 for the long haul. The new recoil assembly is a major improvement for this weapon. It speeds up lock-up time, softens recoil and eliminates jams.

Springfield Armory can ID exactly when their firearms were manufactured and tell you about any changes or improvements in parts, etc. which would improve performance. You may have a gem, but check it out.

Mike's Custom
06-25-2009, 10:31 PM
If it is not on the list how are you going to be able to buy it?

06-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Have a buddy moving to ca from az, bringing his guns into the state minus the hi caps and other evil features. Once the gun is registered, we can do a transfer.