PDA

View Full Version : Need a Mentor (90503)

esquesk
06-25-2009, 3:13 PM
Hey Guys!

I'm new to Cal Guns and I've just purchased my first handgun. After the ten day wait period I was wondering if somebody could teach me the basics. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, all of my "experience" comes from reading up on basic safety and watching youtube videos.

Maybe somebody could meet me at a range and teach me the basics? I'll cover the lane/ammo costs :)

I live close to the Torrance/LAX ranges so if you're nearby let me know!

A little bit of an introduction as well;

I'm a 21 year old finance major at Loyola Marymount University. I come from an Asian family and as far as I know, am the first in my family to ever own a handgun. I've grown up in SoCal my entire life and am eager to learn as much as I can.

Thanks for reading!

Z ME FLY
06-25-2009, 3:50 PM
Too bad you aren't in NorCal, I could help you out a bit.

KaTooM
06-25-2009, 5:33 PM
I would take the Hunters safety course first, even if you never plan to hunt. Then take a beginners pistol class...be safe.

Trapper
06-25-2009, 8:49 PM
If you are in the SD area send me a PM. I have been shooting for 30 years, in the military for 20 years and a member at three ranges.

esquesk
06-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the responses! I'm in SD once in awhile so I'll make sure to PM you next time I go.

If there's anybody in LA just let me know :) Still trying to learn the basics..

CSACANNONEER
06-29-2009, 11:16 AM
I would suggest driving out to Angeles instead of going to the homie range at LAX. I'm probably taking on too much already but, I could meet you sometime for a lesson or two. If you want to come up to my place, we could go over basics using airsoft guns.

barrym66
06-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Smart man - I really appreciate the fact that you've asked for help.

Looks like you have plenty of offers, but if you get to SD or North SD area, I'm also happy to provide some basic guidance at a local commercial range or at my club range (Pala).

You may want to look into taking a basic handgun operation and safety class, most commercial ranges offer them for $50 or so. Good place to get a start.

Barry

glockman19
06-29-2009, 12:01 PM
I would suggest driving out to Angeles instead of going to the homie range at LAX. I'm probably taking on too much already but, I could meet you sometime for a lesson or two. If you want to come up to my place, we could go over basics using airsoft guns.

Good suggestion. Just ask when any calgunners will be at the range and see if you can meet them there. I'd be happy to meet you @ A Target range in Van Nuys or Angeles.

Curtis
06-30-2009, 12:47 AM
It is a little bit of a drive, but I had a great time in this class. Even if you have had little or no experience you should be good to go. It is pricey, but I have take several of their classes and felt I received a great value. They also have the end of the month club where you can shoot and practice with instructors on the last Saturday of the month for $25.

http://ftatv.com/general-handgun

This is another school in the same area. This class will cover more tactics in one day, but I felt I kept up because of my other training. The one day class is just over $100.

http://www.civilianarmstraining.com/

You can PM if you want additional information.

luckystrike
08-19-2009, 2:50 AM
paying for lane and ammo? im down! south orange county

SCMA-1
10-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Didn't even know this section exists!:) Anyways, if you are still looking for assistance with your marksmanship, send me a PM. I'm an NRA Certified Instructor in the LA South Bay area and would love to help you out (I don't charge for my services; I do it more for community service and personal satisfaction.;)

SCMA-1

fourtyounce48
10-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Too bad you aren't in NorCal, I could help you out a bit.

Same situation. Does your offer still stand? Located in the East Bay.

sspen003
10-16-2009, 8:06 AM
Hey Guys!

I'm new to Cal Guns and I've just purchased my first handgun. After the ten day wait period I was wondering if somebody could teach me the basics. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, all of my "experience" comes from reading up on basic safety and watching youtube videos.

Maybe somebody could meet me at a range and teach me the basics? I'll cover the lane/ammo costs :)

I live close to the Torrance/LAX ranges so if you're nearby let me know!

A little bit of an introduction as well;

I'm a 21 year old finance major at Loyola Marymount University. I come from an Asian family and as far as I know, am the first in my family to ever own a handgun. I've grown up in SoCal my entire life and am eager to learn as much as I can.

Thanks for reading!

Deff understand what your going through. I am 21 and attend UCR but I have been shooting all my life.

I wouldnt recommend going to the "gangster ranges" in LA. I am a member of a private range in the IE, so if you want you can roll with me and we can shoot for free and I'll teach you a bunch of stuff.

Let me know. If you decide to go another route have fun with that pistol, but be safe

bigmike82
10-16-2009, 8:12 AM
Don't be turned off by these comments about the 'gangster' range. It isn't that bad. I've been to LAXRange a ton, and it's perfectly fine. Yes, even at night.

Send me a PM if you still want to go.

Almost forgot. If you live in Torrance, Sharpshooters is much closer and convenient for you.

Trakker
10-16-2009, 8:51 AM
Talk to Fred at Sharpshooters.
Not the most appealing salesman but he knows his s**T.

Ryan there can also help you out.
They also offer classes 1:1, it is worth your money and time.
Remember, most gun shops aren't making big bucks, just staying afloat.

Fire in the Hole
11-07-2009, 4:37 PM
I PM'd the OP back in July, offering my services. I have not received a reply as of yet.