PDA

View Full Version : Which speed loaders for S&W K frames?

savasyn
06-25-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm about to buy a couple of speed loaders for my K frames. I have a few HKS ones for my L frames and they are ok but not great. Are the Safariland ones worth the extra money? If so, I'll give those a try.
Thanks!

rivviepop
06-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Are you wanting to compete (USPSA/IDPA/ICORE) with these, or just for easier loading at the range? What's your speedloader intended use case? CCW?

If you're competing, Safarlands definitely - COMP III. The COMP II also work but are a little slower, good for pocket/CCW/IDPA use though. Look on eBay, GunBroker and the like -- they used to be pretty easy to find used.

savasyn
06-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Good point. No, no competition or CCW, just for fun at the range/having rounds ready at home.
I'm not super thrilled with how the HKS ones perform so I'll give the Safariland ones a try. Looks like the COMP IIs will work for me.

Black Majik
06-25-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm probably one of the few that prefer HKS' speedloaders over Safariland's Comp-IIs.

Assuming this is for your Model 19, I found that the target stocks sometimes limits full contact of the speedloader to the cylinder. That's why I like the twist of the HKS speedloaders to drop the rounds into the cylinder. The Comp-IIs were clumsy at best.

Magna grips make all the difference as well since they're a lot thinner.

savasyn
06-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Hmmm, ok. Mine 19 has a Hogue monogrip and the 66 will soon have original ginger groove combat grips.
I'm going to get one of each to test. $17 for both, it's not like I'm losing anything if I don't like one or the other.
Thanks for the advice!

rivviepop
06-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Assuming this is for your Model 19, I found that the target stocks sometimes limits full contact of the speedloader to the cylinder. That's why I like the twist of the HKS speedloaders to drop the rounds into the cylinder. The Comp-IIs were clumsy at best.

I understand where you're coming from -- my K & L frames for competition use wear the Craig Spiegel styled square butt rubber grips; they are designed to allow a speedloader easy access and don't catch up (rubber is less sticky than a Hogue, e.g.). Any of the speedloader styles work without issue, and the grips allow the inner empty casings to fully eject and fall without hitting the grips, really fast. I tend to use the 686 and COMP IIIs, fastest combo - I can reload just as fast with this as I can moonclips.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/rivviepop/snv11668_800.jpg

savasyn
06-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Wow, sounds like a great setup!
Nice looking gun as well. A pre-lock 686(+ preferably) 4" is high on my list of things to get.
Thanks again!

paul0660
06-25-2009, 11:05 AM
I did a little file work on on the outside radius of my Safarilands (got rid of the little ridge) and they work very well. I don't like the HKS's nearly as well. However, I prefer speed strips over all. With a little practice they are nearly as fast as the loaders and fit in pockets better.

JTROKS
06-25-2009, 11:14 AM
+1 on what rivviepop said, he knows his revolvers and speed loaders, since he's one of the few and proud shooters of stock class revolver for club matches.