PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 44 special

deleted by PC police
06-25-2009, 7:02 AM
My neighbor is suggesting I go put some money down on one of these Lipsey Ruger .44 specials. What do you guys think of them?

B Strong
06-25-2009, 7:31 AM
My neighbor is suggesting I go put some money down on one of these Lipsey Ruger .44 specials. What do you guys think of them?

I want one.

.44 Special is one of my favorite cartridges, and the med. frame Ruger Vaquero is an ideal platform.

dfletcher
06-25-2009, 8:01 AM
No reason to say no. Nice platform and a neat cartridge. If you reload the 44 Special is very versatile, if you don't reload - well, maybe having the 44 will get you started on reloading. A few months ago I had the chance to buy an older Ruger in 44 Special - as I understand it a version similar to the current one was made for a short time - and I didn't grab it. Still regret not picking it up.

goathead
06-25-2009, 6:36 PM
i want one... also i saw one love at first sight

1JimMarch
06-26-2009, 11:54 AM
I have "this gun" - sorta - in 357. It's a Ruger New Vaquero, which is the same "mid-size" frame platform. It's also been available as an adjustable-sight variant in the 50th Anniversary 357 Blackhawk Flattop.

The 44Spl is that latter gun bored out some.

This frame size is perfect for the 44Spl and these mid-frame Ruger SAs are developing a reputation as being consistently among the best guns Ruger ever made. When they revived this size in 2004 after being AWOL since 1973, they re-thunked how they built them. Cylinders are coming out with perfectly matched bores all done with a single bit/reamer in sequence versus the "six at once" approach in the bigger frames.

Average out-of-the-box accuracy are matching or beating all other Rugers and give anything by S&W (including Performance Center) a strong run for their money.

I'm sticking with my 357 variant for now but a strong thumbs up for the whole Ruger mid-frame SA series.