PDA

View Full Version : My handgun broke, how do I properly ship it to the manufacturer?

Wallabing
06-25-2009, 1:18 AM
I have a sig mosquito that is now defective, and now I have to ship it back to Sig for warranty. A friend told me I can only ship guns from an FFL to another(?) This will be my first time shipping a gun.

So do I have to go to a gunstore to ship it back to Sig, or can I ship it straight to Sig Sauer with UPS overnight?

Any help and clarification greatly appreciated:)

frankiejoe577
06-25-2009, 1:21 AM
I'm sure they will tell you what to do when you contact them for an RMA number

frankiejoe577
06-25-2009, 1:22 AM
if I was doing it I would mail it with a combo lock and phone them with the combo. But I dont know what other people do

Futurecollector
06-25-2009, 1:22 AM
Ups overnight, and you can ship it straight to them, and they will ship it straight back

ke6guj
06-25-2009, 1:24 AM
no, you don't have to use an FFL to ship it to Sig. YOu can use UPS or Fedex to ship it. Both companies have company policies like having to ship from the depot, not a place like the UPS store, and have it shipped overnight. Do not mark it so that it is known to be a firearm. Even clean up the shipping address so that if it the name is SigArms, Inc, maybe shorten it to SA, Inc, so that the name doesn't scream "GUN".

YOu can't use USPS.

YOu are not required to inform UPS/Fedex that you are shipping a firearm, but may have insurance issues if the firearm was lost/damaged if you don't.

I'd call Sig first. They may cover shipping, and if so, will probably issue you a shipping tag tht you could just slap on the box and give to UPS/Fedex.

ke6guj
06-25-2009, 1:25 AM
if I was doing it I would mail it with a combo lock and phone them with the combo. But I dont know what other people doDO not mail it. It is illegal for a person other than a dealer/manufacturer to mail handguns.

Wallabing
06-25-2009, 1:33 AM
So if I ship with UPS/FEDEX, they return the gun right back to my residence?

If this is so, is using a FFL to ship my gun more safe?

ke6guj
06-25-2009, 1:40 AM
So if I ship with UPS/FEDEX, they return the gun right back to my residence?yes, it can be shipped directly back to you. I dunno if you can have it shipped to your work address, or an alternate.

If this is so, is using a FFL to ship my gun more safe?only if you have issues with UPS/Fedex.

Be aware that the FFL can charge a fee for this service and you may need to reDROS the handgun when you pick it up from the FFL. I don't recall if the Roster applies in this scenario, I think there is a roster-exemption for this.

edit: ok, glancing at the PC, it does look like you don't need to reDROS it, and it is roster-exempt.

railroader
06-25-2009, 4:53 AM
If this is so, is using a FFL to ship my gun more safe?
When they ship the gun back, someone is suppose to sign for it. If you or someone isn't home you might have to go to ups or fedex to pick it up. Mark

B Strong
06-25-2009, 5:29 AM
Contact SIG customer service, they'll give you a return Authorization Number, and will most likely order a p/u from UPS for overnight shipping to their repair center.

foxtrotuniformlima
06-25-2009, 5:32 AM
The only legal way for a non FFL holder to ship a handgun is through FedEx using their Priority Overnight service.

If you can, as B Strong suggests, get Sig to issue a call tag, by all means do it. FedEx is going to cost $ 40 - $ 50 IIRC.

MiguelS
06-25-2009, 6:04 AM
What broke? I have a mosquito as well.

dfletcher
06-25-2009, 7:30 AM
I have a sig mosquito that is now defective, and now I have to ship it back to Sig for warranty. A friend told me I can only ship guns from an FFL to another(?) This will be my first time shipping a gun.

So do I have to go to a gunstore to ship it back to Sig, or can I ship it straight to Sig Sauer with UPS overnight?

Any help and clarification greatly appreciated:)

I've just mailed a handgun directly to Springfield and a rifle directly to Ruger.

I went to the FedEx service center on Gateway in SSF and informed them I was mailing a handgun. Springfield had already sent me a prepaid "stamp" and all I did was inform FedEx it was a handgun and hand it over to them. The handgun (an EMP) was insured by Springfield. It took FedEx's "overnight" mail from Thursday to Tuesday to arrive in Illinois - so much for overnight.

I did the same thing with the Ruger Mini, but sent it ground because I was paying, it's cheaper and it's OK by FedEx.

In each instance the company receiving the firearm informed me they work return mail to only the address I had given them as my mailing address. Since no one's at home during the day, I Springfield informed FedEx to hold the package at their SSF office for my pick up, which they did. Having learned a lesson, I used my work address as my mailing address with Ruger, they'll ship it to my office (no problems, boss has more guns than me!) directly.

No locks needed, just ensure it's packed properly. I always include a memo with my name and cell phone number for contact purposes if the receiving company has questions.

Just my opinion, but I informed FedEx I was shipping guns - what the heck else is it going to be when the package is addressed to "Springfield Armory" or "Ruger Firearms" - and wouldn't play fast & loose with a "machine parts" description. I just made certain insurance was in place (please, please steal my 20 year old Mini & I'll collect $600.00) and that I went to a FedEx service center. In addition to their "retail" stores not accepting, I wanted to ensure that the only people who had access to the gun were FedEx employees.

Shipping a handgun isn't the chore it may seem. If you think about it, pretty much every handgun that goes anywhere goes by mail. The carriers are pretty used to handling the things.

Wallabing
06-25-2009, 11:13 AM
What broke? I have a mosquito as well.

My decocker doesnt work.

-hanko
06-25-2009, 12:17 PM
The only legal way for a non FFL holder to ship a handgun is through FedEx using their Priority Overnight service.

You forgot ups...:confused:

-hanko

jeffyboy
06-25-2009, 12:21 PM
I had to ship a P226 to them. Call and you'll get a RMA number and they will have FedEx pick it up at your home (in my case I had them come to my work). Quick and easy...no having to drive anywhere

jmf_tracy
06-25-2009, 12:28 PM
disassemble (field strip) your gun then ship it. once disassembled it is not a handgun, but gun parts. in the description you can put 'machined parts' insure for the value of your gun and then ship it anyway you like. i prefer fed ex but UPS is OK too. stay away from USPS for many reasons espicially if you actually want your package to be delivered.

johnthomas
06-25-2009, 12:32 PM
My decocker doesnt work.

I hope you didn't find that out the hard way. You asked if you could go thru an ffl, yes, but it will cost you plenty. Like a couple of guys said, call the company and ask them. If it is your dime, go thru fedx next day air.
This brings up a question. Other products, not gun products have service centers or places they use for repairs of different products. Does any in the gun industry do this? It would be so much easier and cost effective to take a gun down to a factory authorized and trained gun smith and have the gun company pay him.

kmca
06-25-2009, 2:27 PM
Does anyone know what a FFL would charge to ship a gun? Since it cost so darn much to ship UPS (last time was about $65) or FedEx, might it not be cheaper to send it through a FFL who can use USPS priority mail?

MiguelS
06-25-2009, 3:16 PM
Thanks for reply OP.

Wonder if there has been any other incidents of this kind.

MAC USMC
06-25-2009, 10:34 PM
I have done this several times and it is not that difficult. Ship your own gun via UPS at the main depot. Call for their location near you. Ship in the original hard case if you have it or pick one up at Big 5. IMPORTANT: Enclose a note providing your name, address, phone number, E-mail info AND

MAC USMC
06-25-2009, 10:39 PM
OOPS, I SNEEZED!

Continuing - - provide the serial number, model, etc of the weapon. Then describe exactly what is wrong with the gun including how it is malfunctioning.NEXT, attach the same letter in a sealed envelope to the outside of the shipping container.

Some UPS folks dislike doing the shipping work, most do not. The repaired gun will be shipped directly back to you listed address.