PDA

View Full Version : Leo Qualifications????

hardway
06-24-2009, 7:54 PM
I'm 29 years old, I've been in the surveying field for 10 years and have grown seriously bored with it. I've always considered going the leo route, but it just did'nt sound right untill I got older. I know my age is'nt an issue, my question is my driving record. Over the years I've gathered up quite a few speeding tickets, I'd say 10 since I was 16 and 2 seatbelt violations as well. In the last 5 years I've had about 4 and only 1 in the last 3. Other than that I'm clean, never seen a set of cuffs or had any other questionable events in my life. I would probably put myself through the acadamy, but, do I even qualify....and would I even be considered as an applicant? Thanks, Ryan

bubbagump
06-24-2009, 8:17 PM
DEEEWWWW EEEETTTTT...

No seriously...Apply...you'll be fine...

I've heard of worse things in a persons background (People much younger than you), and they got hired...Somewhere...eventually...apply everywhere.

Ron-Solo
06-24-2009, 8:25 PM
Each agency sets their own standards on this matter. Some may DQ you for it, while others might not. They will usually ask you to disclose the last 5 years. The important thing is disclose everything they ask for. If they find something you failed to disclose, you're pretty much done at that point.

Check with the agencies that interest you and ask. They will usually tell you.

If in doubt, apply. Putting yourself through an academy can be a big expense. You want to make sure you meet the requirements before taking such a big step.

Also, take a good look at your driving habits and see where you can improve. We all have areas where we can do that. If you get hired by a department, you will end up doing a lot of driving, so it is important.

Good luck.

My son-in-law just changed professions at age 30, and will be off probation next month. :D

tyrist
06-24-2009, 10:10 PM
You won't know until you apply. Also you will be judged against other applicants so there really is no way to tell you. I know you are not an auto disqualification for the tickets but it will be an issue that gets addressed during backgrounds.

bluestaterebel
06-24-2009, 10:46 PM
LAPD

Jonathan Doe
06-25-2009, 4:53 AM
Back in 80's, I know a guy who got disqualified because he smoked one pot for experiment in high school. Now? I don't even know.

zeekster
06-25-2009, 6:20 AM
Back in 80's, I know a guy who got disqualified because he smoked one pot for experiment in high school. Now? I don't even know.

was it made out of ceramic or marijuana:rofl2:

eltee
06-25-2009, 9:43 AM
As a former background investigator with my dept., I'd say it would be iffy today, but by the time you graduated the academy (and assuming you acquired no tickets during the interim) you might be good 2 go. We look at the total person once we establish that there are no immediately disqualifying factors. Depends alot on the department and alot on the hiring authority (panel, brass, chief/sheriff) at the time you apply.

I helped one applicant recently in filling out his paperwork but he was not hired (not my dept) because of his driving record. He was young, had a modified car and was emulating the Fast and Furious image...but kept getting cited. I told him to clean up and reapply so he applied for a job with CDC and was hired. He will work there a couple years and reapply with a local PD (unless he decides to make a career with CDC).

Some departments are more tolerant of specific "issues" (i.e., past drug use, financial responsibility, criminal/driving history, etc.) than others. Some will not hire you if you admit you have ever tried (even during the experimental ages) drugs whereas other dept's. will consider you if you have not tried drugs in X number of years.

Out here, many departments show leniency to people who are repentant and exhibit a willingness to improve. For example, a cop who gets caught DUI off duty would confess, apologize and immediately self-enroll in a program. He'll be forgiven and keep his job (albeit maybe getting some time on the beach). You MAY want to consider self enrolling in a driving improvement school and use that training as evidence that you have matured beyond the Speed Racer phase, understand the danger driving irresponsibly, etc.

I know as a B.I. I would have been impressed by a candidate who did that.

GOOD LUCK with your application(s). Don't give up. Many of us are working for the 2nd or 3rd department we applied to, so if you are not hired by one it is no reason to give up.

Triad
06-25-2009, 10:31 AM
I would say its going to be agency specific.

I know a couple agencies around here (mine included) that have a hard on for speeding.

4 of the last 5 Deputies that were killed in my department were for reasons involving driving.

Triad
06-25-2009, 10:33 AM
(albeit maybe getting some time on the beach)

Off topic, but I hear this a lot in my dept.

If its w/o pay, we call it "time on the hook" lol.

hardway
06-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Thank you guys. I never was a speed racer, maybe 1 ticket when I was 17 or so that was for acting stupid. Other than that they were all on the freeway 65 in 55's etc. I do alot of traveling for my job and its just to damn easy to loose track and try to keep up with the pack. No excuses though. Being realistic, I dont see myself in the acadamy untill atleast jan 1st, and by the time I finished a few of those tickets would be off my 5 year so that may help. I knew it was'nt impossible, I just was'nt sure of how much of an uphill battle it was going to be. I think I'll make some calls to my local pd and so to get a feel for how they do it. Thanks, Ryan