PDA

View Full Version : proof of residency - what choice do i have?

imported_wallysparx
07-26-2005, 3:49 PM
if i don't have any utility bills in my name, nor is the vehicle i drive registered to me, nor am i in the military/police, is there any other way of me providing proof of residency to purchase a handgun? thanks.

gimmejr
07-26-2005, 4:08 PM
Military ID doesnt work either.

TonyM
07-26-2005, 4:11 PM
I remember people saying a Rental or Lease agreement would work.

Try a Search here, you should find some threads.

imported_wallysparx
07-26-2005, 4:38 PM
yeah tried searching the prior proof of residency threads, hoped against hope that there might be new developments. thanks though.

07-26-2005, 5:01 PM
i have had ffls tell me that they would not take a lease agreement. i believe a cell phone bill in your name will work.

C.G.
07-26-2005, 5:30 PM
Originally posted by cowboydude2:
i have had ffls tell me that they would not take a lease agreement. i believe a cell phone bill in your name will work.
I've been told a regular phone bill, but not cell.

imported_Telpierion
07-26-2005, 6:34 PM
Is your address on a traffic ticket? If so that would be a government issued document with your name and address. http://www.calguns.net/laughroll.gif

RRangel
07-26-2005, 7:29 PM
A lease agreement should work. I don't know why a FFL wouldn't accept that? I used that when the law first went into effect.

E__WOK
07-26-2005, 7:47 PM
A lease should be fine.

I have used my juty duty notice before(it must be dated within 3 months).

The easiest way is to put your name on the cable bill.

You do watch tv, right?

bu-bye
07-26-2005, 9:09 PM
When I moved into my new place my wife signed up for all the major stuff like Water, PG&E, Trash. The only thing I had in my name was the Dish Network Sat TV. I brought that with me and my dealer said it will due just fine as long as it has my name and matches my drivers lic address.

Next week I get to pick up my sexy 1911 http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif. I have been wanting this gun since I was like 12. Many add-ons are already in the mail inbound.

My wifes going to kill me http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif

slomustang
07-26-2005, 9:31 PM
I've used a DSL invoice before. . .told the salesman is was tied to the land line and he accepted it.

Dish Network seems a little on the fence. . .since it doesn't always use the land line to call home (IIRC). But if your dealer took it, cool!

Trader Jack
07-26-2005, 10:41 PM
Cell phone bills are not acceptable.

Government documents such as jury duty, traffic tickets are NO LONGER acceptable UNLESS it has an expiration date that is within 90 days or more. (This is not a date of issue only. but both a date of issue and a dtate of experation as well.)

Your proof of residency DOES NOT have to match your drivers license. What is important is that your name and address are the same on the Calif. State DROS and the Federal 4473 form. The proof of residency must match those.

You would also need a proof of residency for long guns if the 4473 has a different address then your license.

C.G.
07-26-2005, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Trader Jack:
Your proof of residency DOES NOT have to match your drivers license. What is important is that your name and address are the same on the Calif. State DROS and the Federal 4473 form. The proof of residency must match those.
QUOTE]

My FFL certainly believes it does.

[QUOTE] originally posted by Bu-buy
Next week I get to pick up my sexy 1911 . I have been wanting this gun since I was like 12. Many add-ons are already in the mail inbound.

My wifes going to kill me

I ordered a new Sig P226R in 9mm today. Add-ons from Midway on the way as well. Was gonna get a used one, but I shot so well with even a rental that I decided to get a new one. That is what I get when I read that Bill buys one gun a month. I don't have a wife, but moldy bread and water will make some fine meals for awhile. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

bu-bye
07-27-2005, 9:50 AM
I don't have a wife, but moldy bread and water will make some fine meals for awhile. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Now thats what i'm talking about http://www.calguns.net/bow.gif

Sacrificing for the greater good. You my good man are a gentlemen and a scholar http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

08-01-2005, 12:56 AM
What about a marriage certificate? I got married last year and it has all the required information. I'm having a hell of a time with this - all utilities in my wife's name, car registration in her name, and we "informally" rent from my father in law so no rental agreement/lease.

The last thing on the list says any government issued documentation that has your name and address as listed on your DROS and ID. So I am guessing a marriage certificate would be acceptable so long as it shows the correct address. Can a FFL still reject it as proof even if you show them what the regulation says?

Trader Jack
08-01-2005, 9:39 AM
That marriage certificate WILL NOT work.

Any document MUST be within the past 90 days.

You can use a rental agreement from your father in law just get it notarized.

imported_buffybuster
08-01-2005, 12:28 PM
This may work for you. At least I know that it was an acceptable form for proof of residency.

If you are living with the person that owns the house or is the person that is on the lease agreement and you have been living in that domicle with that person for some time (few years), then I believe the person that is on the deed or lease agreement can write an affidavit letter stating that you have been lived continuously, without breaks in residence, in that domicile with them from (start date) until present. Have that signed, dated and NOTARIZED and I believe that will work. Has to be the original document, no copies.

Inoxmark
08-01-2005, 6:59 PM
Change one of the utilities to your name, or sign up to a new utility in your own name (DSL or cable perhaps). I think that would be easier than anything else, unless your F-I-L is cool with giving you iii) A signed, notarized affidavit by a relative that the transferee resides at the relative's abode free of any monetary consideration.

imported_code10
08-01-2005, 7:15 PM
I just turned 21 yesterday and purchased a G23 (my first handgun) and used a signed notarized affidavit as my proof of residency. My FFL accepted it with no problems...

Yute
08-03-2005, 8:28 PM
May I ask which FFL you used? Was it in the Bay Area? I didn't know an affidavit was allowed but would be easier for me at least!

Dilettante
08-03-2005, 8:56 PM
An affidavit sounds reasonable--just make sure it's notarized. I may go that route too.

Charliegone
08-04-2005, 5:38 PM
How about voter registration card?

E__WOK
08-04-2005, 7:45 PM
No.

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#30

1911jerry
08-06-2005, 11:12 PM
I had to go to my untility company and get the water bill in my name. All my billing were in my wifes name.

Now when I need a current utility bill, I go down to the water company and make a $10 payment on my bill and they print me up a new statement.

Works like a charm....I never have to keep a bil hanging around for 90 days, just in case I want a new toy.

Jerry

imported_Skammy
08-09-2005, 5:32 AM
Originally posted by Charliegone:
How about voter registration card?

I've used mine.. and it worked..

imported_wallysparx
08-10-2005, 10:02 PM
can anyone show me what these affidavits look like? sans your personal information of course.

08-11-2005, 12:26 PM
The DOJ is very specific about what is acceptable and what isn't. In our store, we are equally specific; we'll accept a lease, a deed, a notarized rental agreement, a utliity bill from within the last three months or a vehicle registration. There are some exceptions, like a CCW or a law-enforcement ID and a few other specific ones, but for the run-of-the-mill handgun buyer, only those documents I've listed are acceptable.

When someone says "I've used [my voter registration card]...and it worked," what he's saying, if I may read into it a little bit, is that his gun store guy accepted it. In that sense, a drawing of a driver license done in crayon can "work" if you get the clerk to accept it. It does not mean that that document complies with the law.

Likewise, an affidavit is not acceptable, even if it is notarized, if it in the form of "I, Joe Blow, live at 1234 Main Street Anytown, CA." That's because it is not a rental agreement. If it is a two-party affidavit - an agreement, in other words - in the form of "I, John Doe, am the landlord at 1234 Main Street Anytown, CA, renting a residence to Joe Blow. I, Joe Blow, reside at 1234 Main Street Anytown, CA" and it is signed by both parties and notarized, then it is acceptable. Of course, the wording is flexible; the point is that it must be an agreement between parties, not a declaration by a single party.

Again, you can scrawl something on a napkin and if your gun seller accepts it, you'll walk off with your gun. But when he is audited by the DOJ - and he will be - he'll have some 'splainin' to do, and the DOJ will require him to track you down and get some proper proof of residency.

Some gun dealers run a very tight ship. Some are all loosey-goosey. In my area, two stores were recently closed down by DOJ. We were audited and passed without a violation, so I'm confident that the documents we have accepted were, well, acceptable.

For those of you in the position of not having a deed or a lease or any utilities or vehicles in your name, I suggest one of the two following solutions: 1) Grow up and get something in your name. 2) Get together with whoever is allowing you to live where you live, whether it's mom 'n' dad, you good buddy or an actual landlord, and get thee to a notary.

Henry47
10-02-2005, 1:06 AM
Sorry for bringing up a dead thread, but I'm about to order another handgun but my registration on my motorcycle has expired and I don't plan on renewing it anytime soon. Even though it has expired, will it still work? And when I purchased a shotgun from big 5 (just picked it up yesterday) they didn't require any proof of residency, is that because it's a long gun?

Turbinator
10-02-2005, 1:13 AM
Instead of trying to use your motorcycle registration, how about using a utility bill? PG&E bill in your name using an address that matches your CA DL will work.

Turby

saki302
10-02-2005, 2:29 AM
That's such a stupid law. If you were a resident in some other state it would be far easier to buy it there.

-Dave

socalguns
10-02-2005, 4:55 AM
Originally posted by Henry47:
Sorry for bringing up a dead thread, but I'm about to order another handgun but my registration on my motorcycle has expired and I don't plan on renewing it anytime soon. Even though it has expired, will it still work? And when I purchased a shotgun from big 5 (just picked it up yesterday) they didn't require any proof of residency, is that because it's a long gun?

Whatever you use has to be less than 3 months old. Yes, this is a very stupid law.