PDA

View Full Version : CA AW Questions

rickffp
07-05-2005, 9:56 PM
Two questions for those in the "know":

1. Can I add a flashhider to my CA registered Bushmaster AR clone now that the Federal ban has expired?

2. Is the new DSA L1A1 receiver CA legal? I don't know if the receiver carries any on the negative markings that have caused problems in the past.

C.G.
07-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by rickffp:
Two questions for those in the "know":

1. Can I add a flashhider to my CA registered Bushmaster AR clone now that the Federal ban has expired?

2. Is the new DSA L1A1 receiver CA legal? I don't know if the receiver carries any on the negative markings that have caused problems in the past.

The answer is yes to both.

bwiese
07-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Rickffp...

<LI> Yes, you can add your flash hider. Federal ban has expired, and you already have a registered AW: once a gun is an AW there no minimal or maximal amount of 'evilness'.

<LI> All FAL-style receivers, with the exception of true, as-marked "FN" FALs (and maybe one Springfield Armory FAL clone - not sure of this latter one offhand) are not in and of themselves assault weapons in CA. Broadly speaking, only if the gun is built up with a pistol grip + detachable mag would it be an (illegal) assault weapon. (This does not apply to 'by name' assault weapons - like your AR - which are 'evil' regardless of features.)

<LI> FAL clone receivers do NOT need any CA DOJ approval to be purchased/acquired/transferred as long as they are not assembled with pistol grip, or (preferentially) they have a pistol grip but are built up into "CaliFALs" with fixed 10rd magazines that are fed by a stripper clip.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Adventurer_96
07-07-2005, 10:15 PM
I wasn't aware that the DSA Inch receiver was available, that's good news.

If you're looking for info on how to assemble a kit legally on that receiver, I'd be happy to share my experiences.

rickffp
07-10-2005, 6:26 PM
DSA is not shipping the inch pattern receivers but they are taking orders. The receiver is listed on their web site.

Thanks for all the good information.

Adventurer_96
07-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Thank you, I'll see about placing an order.