PDA

View Full Version : So innstead of a detail stripped cleaning...

hkusp9c
06-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Would it be sufficient to just remove the grips and spray the inside of the receiver thoroughly with something like Break free Powder Blast gun cleaner. Let it dry. And spray some Break free CLP lightly?

Yes? No? or Heck No?

I do field strip and clean my sig after every range trip though.

tomd1584
06-24-2009, 11:17 AM
You could. All I do for my glock is a quick brush down the barrel, then a toothbrush really quick on the frame, wipe with rag and done. I do this every 200 rounds, or every range trip for me.

WyoDuner
06-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Yes and no.... Some parts are ok with oil which you can get to seep into the places it is need but some parts like a little grease. I completely disassemble my weapons every so often to do a detailed clean and lube. I think they would be fine without it but I like to know that it was done right, clean and well lubed. Besides, it's a great way to get to know your gun.

Also, I usually do a little buffing/polishing and minor trigger work if i'm in there anyway.

JTROKS
06-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Depends. Are you going to be in a dusty area?

hkusp9c
06-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Not really. I noticed some brownish lube residues inside the receiver while field strip and cleaning last weekend. And just thought about cleaning without detail stripping it.

HondaMasterTech
06-24-2009, 3:39 PM
To much lube can make gunk and hinder the operation of the firearm.

hybridatsun350
06-24-2009, 4:30 PM
Buy a Glock. Detail stripping them is easier than field stripping some guns!

Greg-Dawg
06-24-2009, 5:03 PM
Buy a Glock. Detail stripping them is easier than field stripping some guns!

:punk:

So, you're really just cleaning the reciever...what about the slide and barrel?

Just clean the whole thing.

hkusp9c
06-24-2009, 8:51 PM
I do field strip and clean my sig after every range trip though.

I do the "usual" cleaning after every range trip.

Army
06-25-2009, 9:50 AM
No need to detail any firearm unless it is obviously encrusted, or performance is suffering.

Field strip, clean working areas, wipe down surfaces.

Detailing excellerates wear on screws, detents, pins, and holes.

highpowermatch
06-25-2009, 3:11 PM
performing the detail strip is just adding extra wear on you firearm, its only necessary to do every so often depending on the firearm and what conditions it is shot in.

MAC USMC
06-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Anyone ever use auto brake cleaner to clean their firearms? My scientist pal says it will do no harm and will clean well, but re-lubing thoroughly is required. I keep it off wood, plastic grips, sights, etc. and it does work well. Leaves no residue and does not mar the finish. Comments?

Army
06-26-2009, 9:23 AM
Anyone ever use auto brake cleaner to clean their firearms? My scientist pal says it will do no harm and will clean well, but re-lubing thoroughly is required. I keep it off wood, plastic grips, sights, etc. and it does work well. Leaves no residue and does not mar the finish. Comments?

Would you use live ammunition in the fuse box?

Then why use automotive products on your firearms?

Yes, it will do harm. It will dry ALL oil from the surface and beneath the surface of the metals. Recesses that hold/hide springs will be dry as a bone, allowing water to gather and rust.

Brake/Carb cleaner will get under the phosphate of you AR15, allowing water to penetrate to bare steel.

Easy-Off will destroy phosphate, turning your former black rifle, into a ghostly gray with no protection from the elements.

There are hundreds of quality firearms cleaners and products out there....don't be cheap.

WyoDuner
06-27-2009, 12:02 PM

If used with caution brake cleaner is a very effective cleaner. It will melt most plastics and probably lacquers, etc but with care it is very effective. I don't use it anymore though. Instead, I use Radio Control electric motor cleaner since it doesn't harm any type of plastics.

I use Mobil One oil for lube - cheap, won't EVER get gummy and adheres very to metals.

TKM
06-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Dunk kit, scrub, wipe, compressed air and grease or oil as appropriate.