PDA

View Full Version : What handgun can I bring to California?

Monoz
06-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi all,

I'm a Coloradoan who is going to be making a trip to California soon. I last lived in California nearly 16 years ago, and I know the laws have changed a lot since then.

Which of these handguns can I bring in-state for the duration of my visit without running afoul of any California prohibitions?

Sig P226 in 9mm w/ 15-rd magazines.
Sig P239 in 9mm w/ 8-rd magazines.
Sig P239 in 40S&W w/ 7-rd magazines.

Thanks in advance...

wildhawker
06-24-2009, 11:50 AM
How long is your visit?

thejackamo
06-24-2009, 11:50 AM
You can bring any of them in as long as they have mags 10 rounds or under. So if you got a couple 10 rounders for your 226 you could bring that in, the other two can come in as is.

Monoz
06-24-2009, 12:01 PM
How long is your visit?

Actually several trips look likely
4 days next week
2 days in August
7 days in September

Monoz
06-24-2009, 12:02 PM
You can bring any of them in as long as they have mags 10 rounds or under. So if you got a couple 10 rounders for your 226 you could bring that in, the other two can come in as is.

Ok, so mags need to stay 10 rounds or lower.

Do I need to worry about this "roster" I've heard about? Or are all those models already rostered?

Thanks!

nagorb
06-24-2009, 12:09 PM
I believe if you possessed the hi cap mags when you lived here you can still use them. But I'm not 100% on that.

Not sure if your models are on the roster but you don't need to worry about the roster.

Quiet
06-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Ok, so mags need to stay 10 rounds or lower.

Do I need to worry about this "roster" I've heard about? Or are all those models already rostered?

Thanks!

You do not need to worry about the CA DOJ approved list.
The "roster" pertains to handguns being imported into CA for sale to non-exempt persons.

Quiet
06-24-2009, 12:15 PM
I believe if you possessed the hi cap mags when you lived here you can still use them. But I'm not 100% on that.

If you owned large capacity magazines in CA prior to 01-01-2000, you can legally bring them into CA.

Penal Code 12020
(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(23) The importation of a large-capacity magazine by a person who lawfully possessed the large-capacity magazine in the state prior to January 1, 2000, lawfully took it out of the state, and is returning to the state with the large-capacity magazine previously lawfully possessed in the state.

nagorb
06-24-2009, 12:20 PM
This is why I love calguns a half hour and the question is answered.

By they way what part of California are you planning on visiting? I'm sure some cal gunners would be happy to show you some of our ranges.

Monoz
06-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks everbody. I did indeed own the P226 and high-caps in California prior to leaving, so I will take that under advisement.

Thanks also for the offer for some range time. Unfortunately all three trips are pretty well scheduled to the limit without much downtime. Will be visiting Stockton area, Sutter Creek, then Anaheim (in that order).

leitung
06-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Yeah if ya owned em prior to the ban, there is no need to worry, also you do not need to concern yourself with the roster, only if you plan on selling them do you need to worry.

Rekrab
06-24-2009, 2:47 PM
From Anaheim you're not far from Brea, which is where OC Indoor Range is located(www.ocindoorrange.com). My favorite range, but a bit pricey.

There's also Evan's(never been, heard bad things) and On Target(never been, heard mixed reviews).

1JimMarch
06-24-2009, 2:57 PM
I think there's only three really big "gotchas":

* Don't import mags bigger than 10rd.

* Don't bring in any handgun that shoots a .410/12/20ga shotgun shell. Taurus Judge, Thunder5 in .410, flat banned.

* Don't bring in "assault pistols". Only two main issues: no handgun barrel threaded at the muzzle, no magazine well ahead of the triggerguard.

Have I missed any?

Untamed1972
06-24-2009, 2:57 PM
Hi all,

I'm a Coloradoan who is going to be making a trip to California soon. I last lived in California nearly 16 years ago, and I know the laws have changed a lot since then.

Which of these handguns can I bring in-state for the duration of my visit without running afoul of any California prohibitions?

Sig P226 in 9mm w/ 15-rd magazines.
Sig P239 in 9mm w/ 8-rd magazines.
Sig P239 in 40S&W w/ 7-rd magazines.

Thanks in advance...

Any of them as long as you you bring any mags that hold more than 10rds. So you would prolly be limited to either of the P239's.

You need to make sure they're unloaded while in the car and either in the truk or in a locked container while transporting them.

Untamed1972
06-24-2009, 3:01 PM
Thanks everbody. I did indeed own the P226 and high-caps in California prior to leaving, so I will take that under advisement.

Thanks also for the offer for some range time. Unfortunately all three trips are pretty well scheduled to the limit without much downtime. Will be visiting Stockton area, Sutter Creek, then Anaheim (in that order).

Although it would be legal for you to posess them since you owned them here pre-ban.....just consider that if you got stopped and searched for some reason driving a car with CO plates on a CO drivers license that could be a time consuming and costly arguement to try and win.

For a short trip....I say why risk it?

n2k
06-24-2009, 3:06 PM
What's his option to bring in Off Roster Items for PPT? ;)

The answer was within:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=193936

Sam
06-24-2009, 3:24 PM
What's his option to bring in Off Roster Items for PPT? ;)

He's a Colorado resident and so it wouldn't work.

Be careful how they are transported. California does not recognize other permits and they need to be locked and unloaded.