View Full Version : Glock 23 or USP .40?

06-24-2009, 9:32 AM
Need some pros and cons of each gun. I like both, I've only fired the Glock before though. Any input?

06-24-2009, 9:34 AM
if you have the extra dough get the usp .40 compact over the G23 for sure.

06-24-2009, 9:35 AM
Intended use?

06-24-2009, 9:40 AM
The G23 is a strong favorite of mine. Buy extra mags and ammo. Try Glockmeister for spareparts, tool (yes, only two tools- the Glock armorers tool and the sight installation tool), and the Glock DVD.

I think Glocks are ugly, but they work well for service type use.

06-24-2009, 9:57 AM
USP for sure. With the usp you are going to have alot more trigger options ie DA/SA rather than DA only.

As a die hard HK fan I feel for your own good go rent them both at your indoor range, shoot them both and there is no question you will pick the USP. :cool2:

06-24-2009, 10:30 AM
I have both Glock (G22, G23) and USP (full size). If you like the hammer and the safety system (condition one, left or right handed...etc) and don't mind spend extra $2~300, USP will be your choice. But IMHO, there is not different quality wise. Both top notch poly gun.

However, I was compare full size to full size. In compact, you might want to double check if USP's over size slide release and that safety. It may or may not cause problem for you in conceal department.

06-24-2009, 4:16 PM
Shoot them both. I mean really shoot them. Which do you shoot better?
I just sold another glock because they need about $300 worth of work to fit my hand and do what I want them to do...
Add $300 to the price of a G22 (say $580?) and you get $880. You should be able to find a USP 40f for that pretty easy.

Everything aftermarket will be easier to find for a glock. Lots of folks buy their cool-aid... I keep wanting to like their guns, but always end up selling them in the end.

06-24-2009, 4:49 PM
The trigger on the HK can be creepy. You just need to be aware of that before commit. I don't own and haven't shot the Glock so no help there.

06-24-2009, 4:58 PM
They're both polymer guns, but one is $200+ more.

I have Glocks and have never turned back...plus I still have some cash for ammo!!! And aftermarket parts are everywhere:

I switched out the stock trigger with trigger bar with a G22 trigger: Nice.

06-24-2009, 5:32 PM
I'd also look at the HK P2000 in .40 cal. I've run thousands of rounds through mine and have had zero feed or ejection issues. Love the light LEM trigger with no external safety lever. Still perfectly safe as a carry firearm. The P2000 also has the standard rail, unlike the USP's proprietary rail. They are more money but if you're staking your life on it, the price difference is very forgettable.

06-24-2009, 5:49 PM
Glocks "Safe Action" DAO is more like a single action on the street and double action in the courtroom. Don't let anyone try to fool you because trigger weight is typical of a SA pistol, no matter the mechanics.

Glocks trigger pull averages around 5.5 pounds. USP V1 in SA averages about 4.5 pounds. But USP gives you the option of locking the thumb safety much like a 1911 and also where the popular term "cocked and locked" came from. But if the thumb safety feels too cumbersome, you can just carry it SA with a trigger weight similar to a Glock, or you can use the decocker and carry it hammer down in a semi-cocked position with a 12 pound pull.

USP feels much more ergonomic, imho, than a Glock. And shooting a lot doesn't hurt my hands. But the Glock points naturally and feels better balanced.

USP have noticeably less recoil and it may be beneficial when shooting snappy .40's.

USP magazines cost a lot. (Unless CDNN has them in stock!)

USP doesn't require you to pull the trigger to field strip it.

I've never seen a broken in USP stove pipe while limp wristing. Glocks are notorious for it. Haven't had it happen to me tho. But in a life or death situation, you're probably not gonna get into a solid weaver stance with two firm handed grip on the gun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Y2JqVxv_M

Newer Glocks have a true rail for mounting a light or laser. HK's require an adapter. Ofcourse, entry into an HK costs much more than a Glock too.

06-24-2009, 5:55 PM
^^^ +1

i prefer shooting my USP more than the my glock.

softer recoil
more ergonomic

don't even try buying the new glock RTF... i shot 2 mags and my hand was hurting from the rough texture.

06-24-2009, 5:58 PM
Get a Glock 22 or 23

06-24-2009, 6:21 PM
Newer Glocks have a true rail for mounting a light or laser. HK's require an adapter.

Only the USP uses the proprietary HK rail. A GG&G adapter costs about $20. The P2000 and all newer (P30, HK45) use the industry standard rail.

Having both USP (.45) and P2000 (.40), I can attest to the equally great reliability for both. The LEM trigger with the lighter springs has about a 5# trigger pull, always SA as it's carried with a round in the chamber. The only time that a DA pull would happen is if a second strike on a weak primer was needed. That's never happened for me, and I've shot all kinds of ammo including reloads.

06-24-2009, 8:30 PM
I've limp wristed on purpose severely with no malfunctions using a glock. They are a great pistols.

06-24-2009, 10:47 PM
Best to shoot both before you make the commitment. There is no telling how you will like either before you try. The experience you have shooting either gun will not be identical to anyone else but you. Some people like one, but not the other because of this exact reason.

06-25-2009, 1:06 AM
Manual of arms on the Glock is so much simpler that it warrants mentioning again.

If you don't want to spend a lot of time committing the safety mechanics or the two different DA/SA trigger pulls to memory, stick with a Glock.

06-25-2009, 2:58 AM
I own both the Glock 23 and the USP 40c. They are almost identical in size and weight, and are both good guns.

I prefer the USP over the Glock because:

1. The trigger is more comfortable and natural for me.
2. The USP controls are larger and more easily operated.
3. I can shoot the USP more accurately.
4. The USP just looks better.

06-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Intended use?

Home defense

06-25-2009, 12:11 PM
I have the 23 and have shot a few USP's, and either will be a great handgun, Glock's do have a good aftermarket and reputation, not that H & K doesn't, they are top notch weapons. However I got my Glock on here slightly used for $485 out the door, with fresh night sights and 3 mags. If money has any thing to do with it, the 23 is one of the most carried weapons in the world and they are under $500 if you look around.

06-25-2009, 12:13 PM
I prefer the uspc over the g23. It aims much easier for me and I am more accurate with it. Try both!

06-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Pre-2000 Glock .40s were known for Kaboom issues. I think Glock fixed that flaw in newer guns. USP was initially designed for the 40 S&W cartridge. Glock was born in 9mm, then scaled up to handle the hotter .40 cartridge.
I prefer HK USP 40 for peace of mind and more trigger options available.

06-25-2009, 5:32 PM
i would take the 23

06-25-2009, 5:52 PM
Home defense

You can't go wrong with either. My one criticism of the USP is the trigger pull feels like a mile and the reset is relatively longer than the Glock. I do prefer it's heavier slide as it makes it easier to re-aim and get the second shot off faster. But that's just me. Go shoot both and buy what you prefer.

06-25-2009, 6:22 PM
Been there done that..

Like someone posted earlier, see if you can REALLY(100 rounds plus out of a holster, if at all possible) shoot both. The Glock to some people simply won't "point"
properly due to the grip angle.

IF you decide that you want an HK, buy the P2000.

Napalm Bulldog
06-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Ive shot both and just dont like the way an HK grip feels gritty on the usp. I would have to put a hogue grip on it. I just bought a Glock but think both brands are awesome. Hey Food for thought does anyone know why Hk stopped selling misc merchandise? Years ago I bought a pair of HK tactical boots ,couple shirts and two cofee cups from them. They use to have an online store. Anyone know what happened to it?

06-26-2009, 8:52 AM
So far the opinion of both seems pretty even; they are both great weapons. The only thing I can do, as many have said and I knew before, is to try them both out. From this I think I'm leaning toward the Glock, money being the main reason on that. How much would a P2000 go for though?