PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Colt series 80 45acp how is it and how about getting upgrades for it...

punisheryayarea
06-24-2009, 7:29 AM
Does anyone have a Colt Series 80 45acp, if so is it a good gun, if you have any detail for that would be great might be doing a PPT for one so any help would be great... And how are they stock and with upgrades?

Joliet
06-24-2009, 8:30 AM
I have a Series 80 Gold Cup National Match that I bought new. Accuracy out of the box was disappointing. A Clark match barrel cured that problem, it is now one of my most accurate pistols. Finish is excellent. For a while I used the gun for IPSC competition. I kept the stock grips and added some grip tape to the front strap. I installed a cheap but functional plastic mag well funnel. Ambi. safety, extended mag button, and thumb guard. It is a great all around pistol.

I have kind of butchered it by drilling and tapping the dust cover for scope mounts. It was my first Colt and is still one of my favorites. Not the best carry gun with the Elliason sight though.

Tons of aftermarket parts are available for them. Ken

Black Majik
06-24-2009, 8:32 AM
I have a NRM Government S80 which has been fantastic. It's accurate, rattles, works, and has the pony on the side.

It's a great no frills 1911. The S80 doesn't take much longer to reassemble.

GM4spd
06-24-2009, 8:42 AM
It is a Colt, nothing more be said. Pete

punisheryayarea
06-24-2009, 9:07 AM
So wheres a great place in the Bay area to get all my upgrades? anyone know?

Poohgyrr
06-24-2009, 9:30 AM
Typically, I want either night sights or a gold bead up front. Then ammo and mags. Then shoot it.

Colt makes good 1911's.

Kid Stanislaus
06-24-2009, 9:44 AM
My Series 80 came home in about 1987 and its been a shooter ever since. I won't ever win any pistol matches with it but that's not what its for. When it comes to SD work it is plenty accurate. Oh yeah, mine rattles also!

s281c
06-24-2009, 10:05 AM
So wheres a great place in the Bay area to get all my upgrades? anyone know?

Depends on what you want to do to it, You can try Frank over at Irvington Arms, he does some work on 1911.

Then there are changes you can do by yourself with some basic tools.

Do you have an idea what you want to do to it?

A324
06-24-2009, 10:46 AM
I've got a Commander sized Colt M1991A1, ain't pretty but it shoots well, shakes a bit and feels preety darn good when strapped to my gunbelt. I can hit a milkjug with it at 100 yards and that is good enough for me!

bangkok
06-24-2009, 10:48 AM
I just bought a new series 80 Government and as said, accuracy out of the box was disappointing, but it is tight with no slop and it is a Colt!:)

punisheryayarea
06-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Depends on what you want to do to it, You can try Frank over at Irvington Arms, he does some work on 1911.

Then there are changes you can do by yourself with some basic tools.

Do you have an idea what you want to do to it?

Well Irvington arm is were I'm doing the ppt, I want to turn a VW to a Porch's:D

punisheryayarea
06-24-2009, 10:51 AM
then maybe one day make the finish better, Im a noob when it comes to 1911's

mrboma
06-24-2009, 4:48 PM
Colt Gov. 1911 bought used from a friend...
Best purchase I think I have made in the world of firearm procurement. Came with a nice set of Hogue wrap-arounds that I highly suggest. From there went for a new trigger and then the crimson trace grips. Got bored after a while and added a compensator and haven't looked back. I think you will be very pleased with your purchase.

And for the record, I think mine is quite accurate. YMMV.

Regards,
Mike

s281c
06-24-2009, 6:00 PM
Well Irvington arm is were I'm doing the ppt, I want to turn a VW to a Porch's:D

well, that's doable, just depends on how much you want to spend.

s281c
06-24-2009, 6:02 PM
then maybe one day make the finish better, Im a noob when it comes to 1911's

You might have to refinish sooner then later, as I assume that this gun is blued, so if the gunsmith has to do any kind of cutting or grinding the frame or the slide those areas will be different color until you refinish the whole gun

WINGEDSWORD
06-24-2009, 6:33 PM
I have four. A Gold Cup, A Commander, and two governments. Enough said!

trashman
06-24-2009, 8:27 PM
I recently took possession of a NRM Series 80. I did swap out the flat plastic mainspring housing for an Ed Brown arched mainspring housing -- mainly for aesthetics.

And of course you can go bananas with grips...

--Neill

Miltiades
06-25-2009, 3:09 AM
I have 3 Series 80 Colt 1911s and think highly of them. The one I have modified the most is a stainless Gold Cup, and I also shoot it the most. The original spur hammer was a little uncomfortable, so I had a gunsmith install a Wilson hammer and beavertail safety, which fits my hand better. I also added a S&A magwell/mainspring housing with cocobolo grip panels from Raasco, and an Ed Brown barrel bushing.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/ColtGoldCup82.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/ColtGoldCup80.jpg

BunnySlayer
06-25-2009, 3:21 AM
I have two. An enhanced and a 1991a1. Both perform magnificently. After much work by Chip McCormick, Terry Tussey and Lopez custom. Dont skimp on your gunsmith. Forget local and send it to someone great. Tussey, Robar, Nowlin, Clark, Cylinder and Slide. All those are great gunsmiths. Why buy a real Colt and then be dissapointed (or worse) in the work. It's like buying a Ferrari and letting Joe down the street work on it. Just my experience.

Colt
06-25-2009, 9:49 PM
I have a Comabat Commander XSE - awesome pistol, very accurate. I had a Series 80 9mm Combat Commander and it was also awesome and very, very accurate. Both totally stock, no tweaks.

The above poster mentioned some good 'smiths. Another one, and the guy I'd go to first, is John Harrison in Georgia.

Good luck.

ghost
06-25-2009, 9:58 PM
i have a stainless series 80 officers model customized by kings gunworks in socal.they did a videcky trigger upgrade,trigger job 3.5lbs,and the reliability package as well.i also have the original build sheet from 1989.this thing has no slop and shoots great,the only thing i want to do is a sights swap.

ERdept
06-25-2009, 9:59 PM
I had one and sold it. It had the most misfires, of any auto I've ever owned.

Soured me on the 1911 till Kimber came along. Then my faith came back.

JTROKS
06-26-2009, 7:04 AM
Here's mine a 1991A1 commander circa mid 90s. Out of the box it fed ball and TMJ rounds, but to ensure reliability I did a polish on the feed ramps and tuned the extractor. With the stock trigger, hammer, disconnector and sear a trigger job set at 4lbs that is very nice considering it still has the series 80 safety features. Installed a Clark grip safety. I may change the sights later on opting for the sleek Novak style rear, but as of now I'm happy with it.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/joshuatroy/DSC00953.jpg

Sam
06-26-2009, 7:50 AM
I bought a new Series 80 Gov't Model and just recently sold it to dump some more money into a Wilson. There was nothing wrong with it. It doesn't have certain features that similarly priced 1911s have but it was made with quality.