PDA

View Full Version : Glock 23 rod and spring question

Bushido-sig
06-24-2009, 12:12 AM
Is there a real advantage to swapping out the glock 23 stock rod to an stainless steel or tungsten rod? Also, with the various spring weights which would be optimal? I believe the stock spring is 15 lbs, would a lighter spring weight be better for lighter loads? Lastly, is swapping the rod and spring reliable? Would you bet your life on it?

Thanks.

PLINK
06-24-2009, 12:23 AM
These links may help you.

http://www.custom-glock.com/rodtech.html

http://www.custom-glock.com/springtech.html

For game Glocks, I use stock, stainless and tungsten guide rods. I also change out recoil springs or cut them depending on the Glock. I am going to experiment with Wolff recoil springs and a Jaeger guide rods soon. When changing to a lighter recoil spring I also change to a reduced power striker spring.

For HD, I just use the factory recoil spring, striker spring and guide rod.

CAG23
06-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Mixed stories about swapping out rods, some say its plastic so that it can flex because of the heavy recoil spring. I thought about doing this cuz I didn't feel comfortable with a plastic guide rod but Glock put a plastic one in for a reason and not just because it will make the gun feel lighter. I would also keep the recoil spring the same. I have shot light and heavy loads from mine and it works just fine. Besides if you are going to be using different loads of ammo in it and keep switching springs, I would hate to have to grab it in an emergency situation and try to remember if the spring in it will be enough to properly eject the round and chamber another.....mine is stock and I have had no problems whatsoever with it...if anything I hear lonewolf barrels are a great upgrade.

CAG23
06-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Sorry....I took your question as if you were using it for HD and PS as I do...if not then have a blast customizing....think I might try customizing now I've got my kimber.

Bushido-sig
06-25-2009, 2:32 PM
CAG23,

Your initial assumption was right. I am asking the question for HD purposes.

I do like the "look" of a metal rod but not at the sacrifice of wondering if it will work if the SHTF. I'll keep it stock.

Thanks

Greg-Dawg
06-25-2009, 6:18 PM
The only advantage is that the aftermarket rod will last longer.