PDA

View Full Version : Felix Valencia Knife/Street Fighting Class I just attended.

50 Freak
06-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Sort of gun related as this class definitely changed my thoughts on the old addage "never bring a knife to a gun fight".

Went to the Felix Valencia Knife/Street Fighting class this weekend with a buddy and boy are we glad we took it. Felix and his teaching assistant Tim Llacuna (who owns and teaches at Modern Defense Institute in Concord) were awesome. Both of these guys were down to earth and helped me and my buddy in getting our moves correct. Never once did I get the crap "my kungfu better than your kungfu" attitude I see from most other schools. They didn't have a chip on their shoulders and were there to teach and not humiliate you because you weren't a martial artist or a buff youngster (as I can tell you, me and my buddy are definitely out of shape old timers). They even modified their moves based on the individual height, build, ability.

Felix and Tim incorporate their fighting styles with anything (from other styles) that they see are good and that can potentially be used in an modern street fight. Because Felix extensively travels the US teaching to the law enforcement community knife and street fighting. He picks up stuff that the LEO's see on the streets and in the jails and figures out counters to moves such as the "Folsom knife techniques" etc. He teaches moves that are "instinctual" and can be done by the average layman and not a 20 year Martial Artist veteran.

We had two days of instructions 9-5 on Sat and Sun. This consisted of about a half of the time devoted to ground fighting. Because as anyone that has seen a UFC or a street fight, will know more than a three thirds of the time the fight will end up with two guys grappling on the floor. The moves taught were cool and easy to pick up and ended the fight in a brutal but quick manor.

We then spent the rest of the time with knife/gun retention, disarms, attacks. I'm a CCW holder and always relied on my G27 as my primary weapon of choice. I never believed a knife could win in a gun fight. Felix definitely changed my mind on that. He had my put on my holster and a gun (unloaded glock airsoft) and a mask. He then had me stand 7-8 feet away and had my let me try to draw from my holster first. If you read FBI statistics, most shootings happen in less than 10 feet. Before I could even clear the gun from my holster, he closed that distance and stabbed me between the eyes (thank God I had a helmet on). Quite an eye opener.

We then spent some time with sparring with knives and sticks and each other. Both my buddy and I are sore all over. We found out Felix and Tim are putting on another one of these 2 day classes next month and we are definitely going to sign up for it. If Tim and Modern Defense Institute weren't so far away from where I live, I would definitely sign up to be a student in a heartbeat.

I'm not affiliated with Felix or Tim or Modern Defense Institute and until last week never even heard of them. So this is pure unbiased opinion and thought you guys would like to know.

rkt88edmo
06-06-2005, 1:37 PM
If you saw the moron who came in on Sunday morning dressed for the office instead of being there at the Modern Defense Institute, that was me http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Glad you had a great experience. Hopefully I will be at the next Felix seminar.

50 Freak
06-06-2005, 2:08 PM
Nope don't believe I saw you. I'm going to be a the next one unless something comes up.

Thanks for posting this class in the first place. When I saw your original post, I did a mad search for "Felix Valencia" and read this bio. Pretty impressive. Turns out to be a SoCal boy like myself.

dave3006
06-06-2005, 2:44 PM
Felix taught the knife class I took at Cold Steel. He is a very talented, awesome guy.

Lynn did a demonstration involving a 2" knife and a slab of beef that I will never forget.

I actually now fear a knife more than I fear a gun at close distance.

50 Freak
06-06-2005, 2:51 PM
I completely agree at 10 feet or less a knife is more than enough of a match against a gun.

Real scary. If in a "situation" I'm going to be a lot more wary of people coming into the 10 feet range.

jmlivingston
06-06-2005, 7:48 PM
I completely agree at 10 feet or less a knife is more than enough of a match against a gun.

My sister and her husband are deputies over in northern NV, they say anyone brandishing a knife within 20' is pretty much an automatic "justified shooting". Acording to them, at that distance if the wielder charges towards you it takes enough time that you can still draw and shoot but the momentum may cause them to run into you - with the knife still outstretched.

Yeah, up close a knife just might be better than a gun. I can certainly see the arguements for it!

John

Bling Bling
06-07-2005, 12:00 PM
SHHH! You are just going to scare the liberals in to making a "CA Assualt Knife ban"! They will ban any knife that can be used more than 10 times.

imported_FW10ring
06-07-2005, 4:41 PM
Originally posted by Bling Bling:
SHHH! You are just going to scare the liberals in to making a "CA Assualt Knife ban"! They will ban any knife that can be used more than 10 times.

Funny but not too far off!

Don't forget the statistics. You are WAY more likely to survive getting shot then getting stabbed.

imported_dadoody
06-07-2005, 7:21 PM
Originally posted by Bling Bling:

There's been a ban on switchblades and butterfly knives since the 1950s due to gangs using them so much back then. I guess it helped, because the gangs started using guns instead. w00t.

sinecure
06-08-2005, 3:00 PM
Too late... Calif. already has a "dangerous knife ban".

I tried to order a fillet knife from Bass Pro and was informed that they can't ship fixed-bladed knives with a blade length of over [IIRC] 5", nor could they ship me my favorite bullet sinkers [for fishing plastic worms for bass] 'cause they are made of lead... which is really stupid, as I can go to the nearest Calif. K-mart and buy similar lead sinkers by the cartload.

I suppose the do-and-feel-gooders won't stop until they have their marshmallow-pillow-safety-Nerf-world that they've been trying for all these years.

imported_FW10ring
06-08-2005, 3:10 PM
I hate to sound ignorant, but why the heck wouldn't out-of-state vendors be able to sell knives longer than 5" in Cali? Sounds like Bass Pro is just paranoid and perhaps a little ignorant of California law.

If I wrong about that, please let me know. Also what is the "dangerous knife ban"? Are you referring to Penal Code 12020?

12020 (http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/12020.htm)

imported_booknut
06-10-2005, 9:46 PM
HEY GUYS YOU'RE GETTING WAY OFF TOPIC!
http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

What I want to know is...where can I find out about these classes?

Guess I'll do a websearch too.
Post an address if you guys can!

Thanks!

imported_booknut
06-10-2005, 9:56 PM
I went and did a search with these words;
felix valencia knife
modern defense institute
modern defense institute felix valencia

all I got was a bunch of sites selling videos, like TRS
and old postings from HALO.
(I wish they were back in business!)

where can I find out about future classes?
is there a phone number?
I'd appreciate any help 50Freak.
Thanks

rkt88edmo
06-10-2005, 10:34 PM
AFAIK classes are evenings M,T,W There are different components on different nights, each night may feature 2 different components, for about an hour each. (CQC Knife, CQC Empty hand, Lameco Escrima) (I think they are ~7-8pm and then 8-9pm) Just give Tim a call and he will give you the up to date info.

Modern Defense Institute
Tim Llacuna
4743 Clayton Road #2-B,
Concord, CA (Between Treat & Ygnacio Vlly)

Modern Defense Institute Phone:
925-686-5149

50 Freak
06-11-2005, 12:39 AM
I think Felix and Tim are putting another class sometime next month.

Felix has a pretty busy schedule doing trainings all over the US. Plus I think he mentioned he was going to Europe but will be back mid next month. I or Rokit88 will probably post a reminder. (most likely Rokit88 as I found out from him about the first class).

PressCheck
06-11-2005, 8:04 AM
I will be posting upcoming class information shortly.