PDA

View Full Version : Para USA GI Expert 1911

Gary13
06-23-2009, 9:14 PM
Anyone seen one yet? List price of $599. Pretty tempting. What do you think of their products?

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=73

Pace
06-23-2009, 9:17 PM
Para makes a nice 1911. I've heard good things about this model and the price is right!

bangkok
06-23-2009, 9:30 PM
Price is right, but will it be on the "safe list"?

railroader
06-24-2009, 2:40 AM
Price is right, but will it be on the "safe list"?
No.

SCMA-1
06-24-2009, 5:38 AM
There are other ones that are good values also; chances are they won't be on the list either:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=6DC0000-1161707138

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/images/519-Spartan.jpg

slowjonn
06-24-2009, 12:57 PM
I just picked up one of the Para Expert GI's a couple weeks ago. The fit and finish seem well done. The only thing I didn't like was the fit of the grip screws. They stuck up above the grips ever so slightly. Im not a big fan of logo'd grips anyway (the stock grips have the Para logo). I replaced the stock grips with some black ergo grips I had.

Interestingly, the screws on the para have a small o-ring on them. Took off the o-rings and the screws now sit at the desired height. The slide is nice and tight to the frame. Very stiff spring when racking the slide. Finish is well done.

The other complaint I have, and this is based on build/ appearance right now, is the two magazines that came with it. They just don't look all that great. I usually run Wilsons anyway so we will see how the Para mags function.

Picked it up for $550, not a great price but not a bad price either. I haven't had time to shoot it yet so I cant say how it runs.

ajaffe
06-24-2009, 2:50 PM
Where did you get it from?

g17owner
06-24-2009, 4:37 PM
Yeah slowjohn where did you get it? I am looking for something other to shoot than my USGI 1911

11011500a
06-24-2009, 4:39 PM
Bud's has the Para GI $499:drool5:

slowjonn
06-24-2009, 6:55 PM
I got it off Gunbroker from an out of state FFL. Cant remember the name right now. I'll check when I get a chance. I think she was in Ohio?/?

ajaffe
06-24-2009, 6:56 PM
It is on the roster of safe handguns?
or Are you a LEO?

slowjonn
06-24-2009, 7:27 PM
Its not on the roster. There are a few ways to get this pistol into the state legally though. Just gotta do some homework.

ajaffe
06-24-2009, 7:39 PM
NRF would be the only way I can think of. Unless you are suggesting having a LEO friend buy it to only realize that they dislike it a few days later and decide to then sell it to you.

SCMA-1
06-24-2009, 8:49 PM
Its not on the roster. There are a few ways to get this pistol into the state legally though. Just gotta do some homework.

well....can you share with us?

jeffyboy
06-25-2009, 12:24 PM

Please explain

Quiet
06-25-2009, 1:38 PM
PPT from a new CA resident that brought one into CA when they moved to CA.
PPT from a LEO.
PPT from a CA resident that already owns one.
Intra-familial gift.
Importation into CA as a single-shot pistol.

engineers101st
06-26-2009, 1:46 AM
hi everybody im not sure if im in the right thread, but can any direct me to somewhere were i can get a not so expensive 1911 gi model? im kinda on a budget any help is greatly appreciated i live in san diego. thanks guys. btw im new and let me just say that i had no idea that there were so many people that were like minded. if only there were more like us

Butter
06-26-2009, 7:57 AM
Just beware of what you get when the price is too affordable. The PO sounds good, but are the parts in spec for interchangeability and upgrading? Is it investment casting for the slide and frame or forged steel? How good is the finish?

The gun could be great or maybe not so if you wanted something more later and the parts were proprietary. In that case you couldn't just order a part from Brownells to replace it but would have to go to PO.

In any case, I am now leery of buying new products until there's some history where I can tell if that deal is just too good to be true and if all the bugs are worked out of new entries into the field.

As for getting a cheap 1911, I guess everything's relative. One might look for a used SA basic model for around the same price. The other thing to note, if one does get into 1911s to any degree, you catch wantititis and will pay a little more for the better guns. You might want to wait and save the coinage for something more in line with exactly what you are seeking in the 1911 arena.

Didn't want to be a spoiled sport, but thought to bring up some things to consider before diving into getting something that may not be all you desire after you have it in your hands. Been there and done that.

SCMA-1
06-26-2009, 8:30 AM
hi everybody im not sure if im in the right thread, but can any direct me to somewhere were i can get a not so expensive 1911 gi model? im kinda on a budget any help is greatly appreciated i live in san diego. thanks guys. btw im new and let me just say that i had no idea that there were so many people that were like minded. if only there were more like us

Do a search on "RIA", "Rock Island". The Rock Island Armory 1911's are excellent values and very highly regarded by their owners.

SCMA-1

engineers101st
06-26-2009, 1:10 PM
Thanks for the info I guess it's time to get to work before Obama starts taking guns. Thanks guys

roc
06-26-2009, 5:03 PM
para makes a great 1911. I played with one at my FFL a few weeks back. all of their 1911s come with a match grade barrel. their design has the feed ramp on the barrel so be careful when upgrading parts. they are not all gonna fit. the gun great in the hand and has a handful of upgrades from a traditional GI model. 3 dot sights, skeletonized trigger and hammer, etc. I think if you can get it for under 500, it is a better value than the RIA or the SA. of course it is not on the list so we can all forget about it.