PDA

View Full Version : Painting rollmarks legally

bplvr
06-23-2009, 6:04 PM
I recently have perfected the art of painting rollmarks.If someone wanted me to paint theirs,say a bare OLL lower,would I be able to do this legally? It takes about 5 hours to paint a complex one and then I bake it 3 days to set the paint. Is their any way that this could be considered 'firearms manufacturing ' or a no-no if I highlight a serial number ?

blackberg
06-23-2009, 7:43 PM
sounds like gunsmithing and will require an 07 FFL, to keep the receiver without the owner present,
I guess if they spend 4 days with you overnight it will be ok? IDK :D
-bb

ke6guj
06-23-2009, 8:18 PM
I don't think you would need an 07 to paint a customer's firearm, but you would need an 01 since they are leaving the firearms with you.

If you painted them while they waited, and they took them home without leaving them with you, I don't think you even need an 01.

CSACANNONEER
06-23-2009, 8:53 PM
It's pretty simple. You can borrow my gun for up to 30 days without any legal issues. If it happens to get paint on it, so what? I have a friend who is a 07 and he sends stuff out to be coated all the time. The place he sends it to is not a FFL at all.

SVT-40
06-23-2009, 11:52 PM
I recently have perfected the art of painting rollmarks.If someone wanted me to paint theirs,say a bare OLL lower,would I be able to do this legally? It takes about 5 hours to paint a complex one and then I bake it 3 days to set the paint. Is their any way that this could be considered 'firearms manufacturing ' or a no-no if I highlight a serial number ?

Or you just use white crayon to highlight the markings.....

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/Snipers%20and%20related/DSC00766.jpg

wildhawker
06-24-2009, 12:29 AM
It's pretty simple. You can borrow my gun for up to 30 days without any legal issues. If it happens to get paint on it, so what? I have a friend who is a 07 and he sends stuff out to be coated all the time. The place he sends it to is not a FFL at all.

If customers let slip in front of/to the wrong folks, checks/PP could be used to show pattern/operation of a business with intent to profit.

CSACANNONEER
06-24-2009, 12:08 PM
If customers let slip in front of/to the wrong folks, checks/PP could be used to show pattern/operation of a business with intent to profit.

Hell, he doesn't have to pay me to borrow my gun. :D

Wyseguy
06-24-2009, 1:00 PM
Hell, he doesn't have to pay me to borrow my gun. :D

LOL

technique
06-24-2009, 10:29 PM
I have been getting questions like his too....I thought only borrowing between friends was what is considered borrowing...in other words. If its shipped to you...is it really borrowing?

technique
06-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Can we also find any legal documentation on borrowing? I'm interested but my google fu is no good...should I be looking at the ATF site or DOJ site?

technique
06-24-2009, 11:15 PM
okay...I have come to a conclusion..maybe I am wrong, maybe I am a little on the safe side.

Since there is an exchange of money...yeah, thats not borrowing. Its paying for a service. I would not borrow anyones gun to preform a service.

crob241
06-25-2009, 12:49 AM
The law says if you are doing it for lively hood or profit you need a license....I know some people do gunsmithing for free, but require a donation or tip or some other silly thing for payment,people who have been doing this for years but usually only for a small group of friends, if you started getting too big, like having a website or advertising SOMEONE would take notice, someone with 3 letters in their name. Also if you are talking about highlighting existing serial numbers or mfg. names thats one thing, if you are putting on serial numbers, mfg. info etc. ATF is very exact on how it must be done, engraved to a depth of .03 in roman letters,title 27 cfr 479.102 no smaller then1/16 inch in a manner that can not be removed, I used to do this when we did custom frames and SBR. I don`t think this includes caliber markings on barrels or other non FFL stuff. This is so they can collect the tax on the firearm,it all comes down to money. I may be wrong thats just my .02 cents worth. thnx