PDA

View Full Version : Best Holster for the outdoorsman

bayarea1911
06-23-2009, 9:46 AM
Last Wed. I was in Irvington Arms picking up an OLL when I inquired about a holster for backpacking, hunting and fishing. Hip carry is ok for both hunting and fishing but is made impossible by the hip belt on a large mutiday backpack. Previously i used a hip holster that was attached to the hip belt on my backpack but since every time i took it off it was left behind and slammed in the dirt i needed to find a new system. The guy at the front suggested a chest carry and but couldnt find anything for my 1911 (had some revolver stuff in the catalog). Got online and did some research, i found David Johnston who is a leather maker in alaska. when i called on wed David answered the phone with all the answers to all the questions asked, including the option to carry cocked and locked or hammer down. received the holster today and i have to say it is the best leather work that i have ever seen. very comfortable and an extremely secure fit. cant wait to get it out and try it!

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4695/holster007g.jpg (http://img231.imageshack.us/i/holster007g.jpg/)

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2933/holster008.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/i/holster008.jpg/)

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7691/holster006.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/i/holster006.jpg/)

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/375/holster005.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/i/holster005.jpg/)

check out his website (although not the best one)

http://davidjohnstonleather.com/index.html

the holster is called "Guides Choice"

Pistolwhipped
06-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Thats pretty nice looking. I bet it would take some getting used to having a pistol in the middle of your chest? How does it feel? Have you tried walking around with it? I'm looking for something like that as well.:thumbsup:

bayarea1911
06-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Thats pretty nice looking. I bet it would take some getting used to having a pistol in the middle of your chest? How does it feel? Have you tried walking around with it? I'm looking for something like that as well.:thumbsup:

feels great, ive been walking around with it all day. although it does bounce a bit when jumping up and down. but not anything that feels uncomfortible when descending stairs and the such

im going out backpacking next weekend and will post up some pics of it in the field

Sam
06-23-2009, 10:17 AM
That looks snazzy and it seems like it's in a place where it's least likely to get snagged or bump into things. How fast is the draw with that snap on?

bayarea1911
06-23-2009, 10:21 AM
That looks snazzy and it seems like it's in a place where it's least likely to get snagged or bump into things. How fast is the draw with that snap on?

draw is still a bit slow as i dont have the practice with it yet and its still got the new leather tightness. but i do have to say that with some wear and practice it seems that it will be very fast with a flick of the thumb on the snap and a nice smooth draw out

bayarea1911
06-23-2009, 10:26 AM
oh yeah, one of the best things is that all of the non leather parts on the holster are standard sizes so can be easily replaced if ever broken or worn out, also non of the fasteners are permanent so adjustment are easily made. this thing will last a lifetime

Liberty1
06-23-2009, 4:36 PM
now time to get some shoes :p at least your priorities are in order

Sobriquet
06-23-2009, 4:51 PM
Take a look at the Wilderness Tactical Safepacker.

BigDogatPlay
06-23-2009, 5:28 PM
That is a quality looking rig, judging by the photos, and a pretty elegant solution to the problem. Back in the days when I was actively hiking and camping I long used a seperate gun belt with some type of a drop shank holster. Then I tried a GI shoulder holster and life was a lot easier.

This solution takes the GI concept about ten steps further, and is very well done.

Timberland
06-23-2009, 5:30 PM
Chest holsters rock, great while driving as well.

M47_Dragon
06-23-2009, 7:25 PM
Nice holster.

Why is there a jug of urine on your garage floor?

Sam
06-23-2009, 8:20 PM
Nice holster.

What else is he going to drink in the wilderness?

Are there magazine carriers or did I miss it?

bayarea1911
06-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Nice holster.

haha not urine, gas from the leaky bike behind me, needs a new gas pump seal. pain in the *****

bayarea1911
06-23-2009, 11:09 PM
What else is he going to drink in the wilderness?

Are there magazine carriers or did I miss it?

mag pouches were an option, i skipped out as i can add them later on if i need them

bayarea1911
06-23-2009, 11:12 PM
now time to get some shoes :p at least your priorities are in order

right before i took those pics i was thinkin about putting on some boots, eh too lazy. rocking the hippy look since i do live in ca

Kelvrick
06-24-2009, 7:49 AM
Have you thought about a thigh rig? Iono, but it seems the gun might get in the way when you're scrunched up like in a squat or if say you're climbing something.

If you're outdoors, shouldn't you be picking up something like a 357 or 44 mag? Maybe 10mm. THis is your excuse to get a new weapon.

EDIT: What are you doing to that cbr?

bayarea1911
06-24-2009, 8:20 AM
Have you thought about a thigh rig? Iono, but it seems the gun might get in the way when you're scrunched up like in a squat or if say you're climbing something.

If you're outdoors, shouldn't you be picking up something like a 357 or 44 mag? Maybe 10mm. THis is your excuse to get a new weapon.

EDIT: What are you doing to that cbr?

thought about a thigh holster too, but in the woods it seems that it would be getting stuck on everything, slipping and falling directly on my weapon turned me off to the idea as well. not to mention taking a poo would be impeded

ive been wanting a large caliber revolver for a while but i cant seem to hit the broad side of a barn with one, at this point i feel more comfortable with my 1911. plenty of gun for angry pot growers, maybe enough for black bear, and when it comes to brown bear...ive been learning how to play dead

PS that poor poor CBR has had a tough life, needs a bit of love and shell be ready for the track ;)

cineski
06-24-2009, 9:36 AM
I put a holster on the waist band of my pack, in the appendix position, and it seems to work great. Have one with a built in mag pouch. Only problem is when I take off my pack (a rarity). This looks like a great setup for fly fishing, too. Too bad they don't make one for my woods carry.

bayarea1911
06-24-2009, 12:58 PM
He claims he'll make them for anything, what are you using??

vinny_land
06-24-2009, 8:55 PM
pretty cool setup. how do these compare to a regular shoulder rig? does it where you down a little bit more?

Sam
06-24-2009, 10:33 PM
pretty cool setup. how do these compare to a regular shoulder rig? does it where you down a little bit more?

It looks like this one rides on the chest as opposed to riding next to the arm pit. I like it the more I look at it, very tempting even though I would have no use for it.

bayarea1911
06-25-2009, 7:47 AM
It looks like this one rides on the chest as opposed to riding next to the arm pit. I like it the more I look at it, very tempting even though I would have no use for it.

thats right, although u are able to loosen the strap and slide it down under your arm if you need to carry something against your chest.

bayarea1911
06-26-2009, 12:04 AM
How well will this holster work with a 60+lb backpack?

I'm concerned that the pack straps (sitting on top of the leather) would really make the holster leather dig into the shoulder.

ill let you know this weekend, lost coast here i come ;)

new2me
06-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Didja get a new pack as well? Gear whore. ;) -M.Y.

bayarea1911
06-26-2009, 5:22 PM
Haha I just upgraded...thank you rei (return every item)

bsg
06-26-2009, 6:39 PM
nice looking setup and i hope it works as well as it looks; novel idea like right out of a jack london book! now get some hiking boots to match and you are a MONSTA and may possibly get in one of ayoob's new books! well done....

pl408
06-27-2009, 7:41 AM
bayarea1911
I dig it and i'm tagging for the future
how much?

cineski
06-27-2009, 8:50 AM
Kahr P45 w/ HST +P's. So light weight :tt1: What bag did you get. I just sold a Baltoro 70 to buy a Gregory Z65. Haven't taken it out yet. It's depressing, really. My last big trip was San Gorgonio via Vivian Trail. *** kicker! That's partly why I sold the Baltoro. It seems "if there's room....it will be filled." That bag was so heavy. The Z65 is a tad smaller but has that awesome airflow back.

He claims he'll make them for anything, what are you using??

Tanner68
06-27-2009, 9:18 AM
I have managed to use most any hip holsters while backpacking. The trick is not to run your belt through your pants belt loops. Wear it like a cowboy rig. Bring your belt and gun up around your lower back when you put on your pack and cinch up your waist belt. Then the gun and belt ride above your hip belt, and the gun rides outside the hip belt in its normal position. Works great. And you still have your gun on when you take off your pack.

bsg
06-27-2009, 6:03 PM
yea but that's the sensible thing to do.... i really like the indiana jones look on this rig.