PDA

View Full Version : What can you use for proof of residency?

frankiejoe577
06-23-2009, 12:50 AM
My moms getting me a handgun as a gift tomorrow what can she use for proof of residency?

Vehicle Registration has my dads name on it not hers
All bills have his name not hers

Any ideas?

I found Homeowners policy bill with her name on it
I found a credit card home equity line of credit statement with her name on it
and I found a county property tax statement with her name on it.

all of them have the address with the name on it.

The tax statement for the county says the property address the bill is for on it.

Will that work or what else can we use?

KJGIL
06-23-2009, 12:54 AM
Of the three I think the best bet is the County Property Tax Statement, but if I were you I'd bring everything I could find with her name and address on it just to be on the safe side.

frankiejoe577
06-23-2009, 1:07 AM
I'm going to go to Comcast Cable or PG&E in the Morning and see if they can print me out a new statement with her name on it also

Rekrab
06-23-2009, 1:08 AM
I used a W2.

Ezekiel2000
06-23-2009, 6:32 AM
Since it's going to be for you, why don't you register it in your name?

Edit: Looked at your post history and found the answer to my question (age).

Here's the list of acceptable proof of residency documents Straight From The DOJ (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/resprf.php)

squishyhead
06-23-2009, 6:41 AM
Go down to your local office supply store and buy a lease agreement. Just fill it out and have your dad sign it.

cousinkix1953
06-23-2009, 8:11 AM
# Examples of documents that are NOT acceptable proof of residency:

1. Hunting or fishing license (these documents are not issued by the government).
2. Cellular phone bill.
3. Passport.
4. Pay stub.
The last time I looked, the dept. of Fish & Game supplies licenses to gun and sporting goods stores for sale to the public. The US State Department issues passports. If the federal beauracracy is not big government, then nothing else is either...

Nismo
06-23-2009, 8:40 AM
Rental statement/agreement/ statement stating she lives there, is probably her best bet other than having your dad go and buy it.

You can also have your phone line or TV, switched over to her name (or yours) so you can have another POR for the future.
I ran into a similar situation not too long ago when my parents moved and did a change of address and forgot to exclude me which changed my address on my bills to their address. I didnt get it fixed in time so I had to come up with a rental agreement as a proof of residence.

KJGIL
06-23-2009, 9:08 AM
The last time I looked, the dept. of Fish & Game supplies licenses to gun and sporting goods stores for sale to the public. The US State Department issues passports. If the federal beauracracy is not big government, then nothing else is either...

Passport doesn't have your address...

frankiejoe577
06-23-2009, 2:12 PM
I looked in each one of our cars. 8 of the cars had only my dads name on the reg and then one of them had both of there names. WOW that was lucky. I'm going in at 6pm today. :)

Netlemming
06-23-2009, 3:03 PM
Provided you have registered to vote, what about your voter registration?

huck
06-23-2009, 3:39 PM
I looked in each one of our cars. 8 of the cars had only my dads name on the reg and then one of them had both of there names. WOW that was lucky. I'm going in at 6pm today. :)

Jeez, you have nine cars?

I'm in a similar situation because I've only been living in my house for two months. I changed my address online with the DMV two months ago, but my physical license hasn't changed. I'm going down there in a couple of days to see what I can do about it.

I need to have two forms of ID by 7/1 or I can't pick up the gun.

frankiejoe577
06-23-2009, 9:43 PM
You can pick up the gun up to 20 days after the first day you could pick it up. Up to 30 days from the day you paid. Usually the DMV takes around 2 weeks for a new ID and they charge like 12-26 dollars for an updated one. What about if you write your new address on the back will they take that?

Or just show them your old address they don't mail you anything and it will work as long as its in California.

Nikola
06-24-2009, 12:13 AM
I have used a certified copy of my voter registration to buy three handguns.