PDA

View Full Version : How much is the average handgun shot?

One Shot, One Dropped
06-22-2009, 11:17 PM
While cleaning a few of my pistols for what seemed like the thousandth time (exaggerating, but it still seemed VERY familiar), I started to wonder...

How much is the average pistol shot?

I know that I try shoot mine as much as possible (as, I believe, most people on this forum do) because that's the only way to get any better, but I bet there are people out there who buy a pistol "for home defense" or something and only shoot it a couple times (either due to only getting it for defense, not foreseeing how much ammo costs, or some other reason).

So, how much do you guys think the average pistol that is bought from a gun store is shot? (POLL)

ck867
06-22-2009, 11:20 PM
I believe cal gunners will shoot more than the average person. I know of plenty of people that barely ever shoot their pistols either due to time or money.

One Shot, One Dropped
06-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I know that most of us shoot more than some consumers, but the poll isn't really "how many rounds do YOU shoot through your pistols?" but more "how many rounds do you think MOST PEOPLE shoot through their pistols?"

Gio
06-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Not enough :D I say less then 250 rounds :(

-Gio

KJGIL
06-22-2009, 11:29 PM
I voted 5 boxes, I only have one handgun but I would think guys with big handgun collections probably rarely shoot more than a few of times a year on average per gun and then factor in all the HD buyers who took their guns to the range once (maybe) and I think maybe 5-10 boxes at most. This is all of course, purely speculation on my part based on all the browsing of forums and the small sample of HD only gun buyers I know. Plus my Dad had a Woodsman that he didn't shoot for nearly 20 years so even if a gun has been around awhile, it hasn't been "around."

ck867
06-22-2009, 11:33 PM
i think it's definately under 500 rounds. I shot that much in one day :D

El Gato
06-22-2009, 11:36 PM
for me.. I don't even consider it reliable for carry until I have 1000 rds through it... put 800 rds + through my volkmann custom last week... but then I do reload... when I can find primers....:eek:

sirgiles
06-23-2009, 12:19 AM
I voted 5 boxes, I only have one handgun but I would think guys with big handgun collections probably rarely shoot more than a few of times a year on average per gun and then factor in all the HD buyers who took their guns to the range once (maybe) and I think maybe 5-10 boxes at most. This is all of course, purely speculation on my part based on all the browsing of forums and the small sample of HD only gun buyers I know. Plus my Dad had a Woodsman that he didn't shoot for nearly 20 years so even if a gun has been around awhile, it hasn't been "around."

whenever my group meets at the range, we decide what kind of day its gonna be. is it a 9mm, 40s&w or 45acp day? for us, its approximately 200 rounds per pistol in 1 day.

randy
06-23-2009, 12:48 AM
There's lots of people that never shoot their guns. There's a bunch more that only shoot part of a box through them.

jumbopanda
06-23-2009, 12:54 AM
I've put about 2000 rounds through my 1911 in the past five months.

CA Gun Laws Suck
06-23-2009, 1:50 AM
1000 + easily....thats just break in... :cool2: That is me...However, i see many pistols that some people might shooting 0-250 rnds in their span of ownership....

Palmaris
06-23-2009, 5:19 AM
I aM sorry, I think this poll is useless. Why? Why would somebody buy a gun and don't shoot it? I think we all buy guns to shoot and I see it as many rounds as possible!!!!!
I vote 1000+ because since I got my first P220 in last December I am on the mark of 2000+ rounds through her. In April I got SP2022 and I am on the mark of 1500.:D All guys I know have shoot as many as possible (time permit, money permit ect). Have never seen somebody shoot just couple boxes.
Good saying- DON'T USE IT-LOOSE IT:43:

CSACANNONEER
06-23-2009, 5:27 AM
I have some handguns that I might only put <200 rounds through out my lifetime. Then, I have Kimber 1911s that I've put > 30,000 rounds through. It's hard to think of an "average" if we include collectors grade guns, guns in obsolete calibers, all the little pocket guns that will never be shot much, and then the ones guys will put +500 rounds a week through while doing casual training or practicing for competitions.

B Strong
06-23-2009, 6:03 AM
Before I recently had to cut back my practice sessions due to medical bills, I shot every week, and went through 800-1000 rounds per month of centerfire handgun ammo.

I have several guns that I've run more than 10K rounds through.

Butter
06-23-2009, 8:15 AM
I guess I'm with most of the folks here. I would generally say that folks who are only slightly interested in guns or training with them may not really participate in these forums. In that case, your getting skewed answers here that will be on the top rung of the bell curve.

I put 11,000 rounds through one of my guns in a little over two years. After my daughter was born I hit the range once a week instead of the three I used to. And where I used to try for a 2-4 defensive pistol classes a year and maybe a competition...maybe, now maybe a class if that. Time and money are not as accessible when you have child in comparison to telling the wife that your going to the range prior to that. I estimate that over the last five years I was running about 12-14 thousand rounds per year and curtailed that quite a bit this year. A gun with only a 1,000 rounds through it is just a baby. :) Though I have a subcompact XD and a couple of revolvers that are shy of the 1K mark. I just like to shoot some of my other toys more often. :)

Untamed1972
06-23-2009, 8:56 AM
Been doing dry practice at home a couple of times a week. Saves money on range fees and preserves ammo supplies.

demo
06-23-2009, 9:45 AM
For most home defense handguns. the owner will buy a pistol, and one or two boxes of ammo. he'll go practice once. and shoot all his ammo except what fits in his mags. and then sit it under his bed until it might be called into action. which will be never.

So, I would say 2 clips shy of one box.

Black Majik
06-23-2009, 10:27 AM
So, how much do you guys think the average pistol that is bought from a gun store is shot? (POLL)

I think it depends half and half by the gun, and by the owner.

Someone who may shoot a lot, may also own guns that have less than a box through it. Most people own more than one handgun, and some handguns get used more than others.

goathead
06-23-2009, 11:31 AM
1000+

MrClamperSir
06-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Depending on the availability, I'll put 20 boxes down range in a month. :cool2:

missiondude
06-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Just about any gun for sale ALWAYS says less that 1000 rounds. I have shot over 2000 rounds in the last two months, so dont buy a used pistol from me:D

snobord99
06-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Well, I've had my Ruger for about a month and 2 weeks and I've put somewhere around 3,000 rounds through her :gun_bandana:

Spyder
06-23-2009, 2:17 PM
Even if a BUNCH of people only shoot a box through their gun, those of us who shoot tens of thousands through each of many guns make up for 'em. I vote 1000+. Averages? Ten guns, nine of which have never been shot and then my one Sig that I myself have put over 30,000 through, means three thousand PER each of those ten guns. Not to mention the people that had that Sig before me...and it was pretty well used back then!

I say lots.

DRM6000
06-23-2009, 2:45 PM
hard to answer. i've some i've shot 1000+ rds. through, some less, some zero (0, zip, zilch, nada.)