PDA

View Full Version : Curtains for the Ruger P95?

Rudolf the Red
06-22-2009, 9:01 PM
I just got an email from a person looking for a Ruger P95 so I go look it up and to my surprise, my supplier has 18 in stock! (PM for OTD price :D)

Then I go to the silly roster and lo and behold:

P95 / Steel, Polymer Pistol 4" 9mm 7/2/2009

It's gone next week.

Will this be the end of another model in California?

Bob Ragen
06-22-2009, 9:39 PM
Glad I got mine in February. Its a very dependable and accurate gun.

ke6guj
06-22-2009, 9:40 PM
As long as its a currentl model, Ruger'll probably spend the $$$ for it to be renewed.

railroader
06-23-2009, 4:07 AM
I just got one. The one that is currently manufactured is a 95PR which has a rail, a decocker with a safety. That one and the stainless version are on the roster until 5/27/2010. Here's what is in production. http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/PS-InstructionManuals-PI.html It looks like a standard P95 has no rail and and has a safety. Personally I wish the P95PR I just got was a decocker only like my P97. Mark

Kingofthehill
06-23-2009, 4:18 AM
Love my P95... sad to see it go (if it happens)... out of all my guns, my g/f claimed it as her's hahaha

JOe

http://i43.tinypic.com/91cqpi.jpg

Gary13
06-27-2009, 8:44 PM
Just looked at one of these at a local shop for $339. Fit comfortable. Looking for my first 9mm and want to maybe compete in some competitions, though assuming I will not do well, but thinking it would be fun and improve my skills. Would I be better off saving for a Glock 17 or something else, or would this be a good starter gun, or buy something used?

Kingofthehill
06-27-2009, 9:03 PM
Just looked at one of these at a local shop for $339. Fit comfortable. Looking for my first 9mm and want to maybe compete in some competitions, though assuming I will not do well, but thinking it would be fun and improve my skills. Would I be better off saving for a Glock 17 or something else, or would this be a good starter gun, or buy something used?

new for that price, Id jump on it.

Dependable as it gets and very comfortable for myself with large hands and my g/f (basically her gun, she loves it!)... Almost NO recoil, easy to strip and clean.. It is a STEAL for $339 new :cool: I would buy another thats for sure. Its a tad thick for a CCW type gun extremely accurate and like I said, DEPENDABLE :cool: Eats everything and anything ive put through it :D

Can't say enough good things about it and i own some guns 5x the price of this one.

JOe

Kingofthehill
06-27-2009, 9:05 PM
You know you want to :)

http://i41.tinypic.com/2i95xs.jpg

Gary13
06-27-2009, 9:48 PM
Thanks. I may need to go back on Monday and buy one. I have been looking at all sorts of 9mm, and all are more expensive, and have been looking at several used guns, but I would rather buy new, just need to watch my budget.

Legasat
06-27-2009, 10:01 PM
I think all Ruger has to do is pony up some more extortion money to the PRK and the date will be renewed.

OldGunTard
06-27-2009, 11:30 PM
I think all Ruger has to do is pony up some more extortion money to the PRK and the date will be renewed.

They do that. They've kept the Mark II on the roster for us for the last five years after having retired it from production.

railroader
06-28-2009, 3:30 AM
Personally for home defense a P95 is fine but for competition I would try something different. I tried shooting a match with mine about a week a ago. Trying to shoot steel plates fast at 15 yards or so was tough with the ruger. The second round of the match I shot my cz75 sao which was much easier. The ruger ran great it's just not as accurate as the cz plus the cz has a better trigger. If you get the ruger put in a wolf 19lb. hammer spring. It will lighten the double action pull. Mark

cal3gunner
06-28-2009, 6:43 AM

I've put lots of rounds through a Ruger P95. They are a solid gun and good for home defense if you aren't looking to spend a lot of money.

I've put 1000s upon 1000s of rounds through a Glock 17. For me, its easier to shoot faster and more accurately. Its not nearly as bulky and the buttons (mag release and slide release) are WAY easier to manipulate than the Ruger.
The Ruger P95 and the Glock 17 are almost the exact same overall length when you look from the top down on the slides but the Ruger is a 3.9 inch barrel when the Glock is a 4.5 inch

The magazines are cheaper for the glock. I use a Glock 17 for competition and it works great. Also glock has a huge following and you can get tons of cool aftermarket stuff for it.

The best part is, you can get used Glock police trade ins for under $400. I definately recommend getting a Glock over a Ruger for competition. The Ruger is a nice gun, but next time you go to a match, look how many people are shooting glocks and you might be lucky to see one Ruger. No top competitors are using anything made by Ruger when it comes to USPSA, IDPA, or Revolver matches. Think about that.