PDA

View Full Version : most reliable

smlockdown
06-22-2009, 7:54 PM
i found a list of handguns lapd officers are allowed to use and want to know which ones you guys think are the most reliable and just the best gun overall.

Beretta:

92F, 92FS, 92FS-Stainless Steel, 8045 (4 barrel)

Smith & Wesson:

459, 5904, 5903, 659, 5906, 645, 4506, 4566, 4567, 5903 TSW, 5906 TSW, 4569 TSW, and 4566 TSW.

Glock:

9mm: Model 34, magazine capacity 17
Model 17, magazine capacity 17
Model 19, magazine capacity 15

.40 caliber: Model 35, magazine capacity 15
Model 22, magazine capacity 15
Model 23, magazine capacity 13

.45 caliber: Model 21, magazine capacity 13

take into consideration the fact of stopping power, and over 10 rd mags reliability and price

SeanCasey
06-22-2009, 8:13 PM
I am not a fan of the feel of Glocks, but they are well regarded handguns (so you can't really go wrong there), I am not familiar with the S&W model numbers, but I have had some time shooting a friends Beretta and it felt like a nice solid gun and I came away with a favorable impression of it.

I'm suprised I don't see Sig's or SA XD's on that list.

JTROKS
06-22-2009, 8:35 PM
I own a 5906 for over 15 years now and I haven't had any FTF nor FTE with any factory ammo of all sorts of bullet profiles. I did have some cycling problems with some really light target loads, but that's not the gun's fault. I have a Glock 21 and 23 and I must say that firing the G21 one handed loosely will give it some problems cycling. I haven't really put the G23 to the test, but so far so good with all the loads I've shot through it. The Beretta 92 I had was a very nice sample, accuracy with consistent 2" groups at 25 yards, very reliable too. I just didn't like it's size, but as a service pistol it's fine.

leelaw
06-22-2009, 8:48 PM
I'd stay away from the S&W pistols. I've never been sold on them, aside from the M&P, and that has a funky trigger.

"Stopping power" is really a myth. Work on shot placement, and the stopping will follow. mm, .40SW, .45ACP. All should suit you fine.

Of the listed guns, I'd not buy any. Since I have to pick from the list, I'd recommend the Glock series. Pick one that feeds the caliber you want.

hawk1
06-22-2009, 9:03 PM
Can you own 15 round magazines?

Out of that list I'd choose the Glock 21 or 22

Outside of that list I go with a 1911 45

FEMUN
06-22-2009, 9:09 PM
I was suprised to see that Ruger isn't on that list. I know quite a few Cops that use P345's

smlockdown
06-22-2009, 9:15 PM
that list doesnt seem to comprehensive for a big agency. Im sure the officers would like more choices than of those available. It would be nice if they could have sigs or HKs. Maybe this list isnt updated. I found it on lapdonline.com

Suvorov
06-22-2009, 9:33 PM
From that list, I would go with the Beretta hands down.

The Tech-1
06-22-2009, 9:56 PM
the glocks

domokun
06-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Glock for never-fail you performance. No additional switches or safeties to disable. It's aim and fire simplicity at its best.

sirgiles
06-23-2009, 12:21 AM
all the glocks on your list.

aplinker
06-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Glock 17.

AMC
06-23-2009, 8:15 AM
I'd go with glock, beretta and S&W in that order. I have never been crazy about the S&Ws.

goathead
06-23-2009, 11:36 AM
beretta or glocks

drunktank
06-23-2009, 2:47 PM
Had a similar conversation with a friend who's retiring this year from a long career in the LAPD. His only 2 firearms (and subsequently the ones he shot the most) that have never failed were a glock 17 and glock 21. I want to say his 21 was the "issued" sidearm, but I don't remember anymore.

stphnman20
06-23-2009, 2:49 PM
beretta or glocks
I had a Beretta when I was in Iraq.. That thing is a jamaholic!!! No how much I cleaned that thing, it wold always jam!! Then I switched to a Glock 19.. Lets just say it never failed me once!!

FEMUN
06-23-2009, 3:27 PM
Thats odd. My three cousins In Iraq/afghanistan Love their Beretta's cuz they never jam.

BamBam-31
06-23-2009, 3:33 PM
I'd stay away from the S&W pistols. I've never been sold on them, aside from the M&P, and that has a funky trigger.

"Stopping power" is really a myth. Work on shot placement, and the stopping will follow. mm, .40SW, .45ACP. All should suit you fine.

Of the listed guns, I'd not buy any. Since I have to pick from the list, I'd recommend the Glock series. Pick one that feeds the caliber you want.

Ah, the infamous mm caliber. Zero recoil, infinite stopping power. :p

As for the OP, I'd STRONGLY suggest looking at the Glock 17. Then any other Glock on the list. Then a Beretta 92F.

Glocks are nothing if not reliable.

hybridatsun350
06-23-2009, 3:40 PM
Most of those guns are pretty solid, but if I had to narrow it down to three it would be:

1.) Glock 17
2.) Glock 22
3.) Glock 21

Glocks just work. I put the 17 at the top because of high mag capacity and fast follow up shots. "Stopping power" is a non-issue when talking about modern JHP bullets.

If you aren't sold on Glocks then take a moment to read this thread: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462537

InvictusManeo
06-23-2009, 3:41 PM
Glocks are mechanically excellent, but if it doesn't fit your hand you will hate it. In addition to being uncomfortable for some, the design is prone to stovepiping if not properly held, and personally, I have to focus enough on my grip to keep that from happening that the rest of my shooting mechanics suffer.

The 92 platform gets bashed by the Glock camp all the time, but I've never had a problem with one. First time I picked one up, it settled naturally into correct position and put all rounds on target with little to no effort. While I have seen FTF in a poorly maintained range gun shooting their reloads, that's the only malfunction (mechanical or user) I've encountered.

Both are good platforms, try 'em out and see which one is best in YOUR hands.

Greg-Dawg
06-23-2009, 3:50 PM
Glock:

9mm: Model 34, magazine capacity 17
Model 17, magazine capacity 17
Model 19, magazine capacity 15

.40 caliber: Model 35, magazine capacity 15
Model 22, magazine capacity 15
Model 23, magazine capacity 13

.45 caliber: Model 21, magazine capacity 13

Glock Foh-tays!!!!

thejackamo
06-23-2009, 3:56 PM
If I had to choose from that list, either the Glock 19 or the 21 (why is there a Glock 19 but no Glock 38 on that list? weird.)

BamBam-31
06-23-2009, 4:08 PM
If I had to choose from that list, either the Glock 19 or the 21 (why is there a Glock 19 but no Glock 38 on that list? weird.)

Maybe LAPD doesn't wanna stock up on 45 GAP just for one pistol? Looks like a 9/.40/.45 only type of deal.

And if the OP is worried about the ol' "But the Glock frame doesn't fit my hand!" thing, read this:

Glock Adjustable Grip Models Announced
By Richard
Police supplier GT Distributers announced they received word that Glock is introducing adjustable grip model Glock pistols.

GT Distributers reported that they found out earlier today at the National Association of Police Equipment Distributers (NAPED) conference that Glock announced they will bring out the adjustable grip models later this year, or early next year.

At this time, there are no photos of the new Glock models, and I was unable to reach any Glock officials to confirm this information, as I received this after their offices closed.

Glock led the polymer handgun revolution, but has been criticized by some for not remaining innovative with new designs. The Smith and Wesson M&P has gained back some of the ground it lost to Glock years ago with police departments because of features like interchangeable back straps that allow the user to better fit the gun to his or her hand.

At the 2009 SHOT Show, Glock introduced the RTF pistols, which was the standard Glock with a more aggressive texture on the frame for a better grip and a different pattern of serrations on the slide. While some people like the new texture, many more people were hoping for a more interesting announcement from Glock.

An adjustable grip model Glock is certainly is significant announcement from Glock. What is interesting is that it was made at the NAPED convention. While NAPED is a good choice for Glock to reach the law enforcement market, it clearly does not have the same attendance and press coverage that the SHOT Show would have had. Additionally, just a few weeks ago, the National Rifle Association held its annual meeting, which was well covered by the gun press, and attended by many thousands of firearms enthusiasts.

I hope to have more information in the next few days.

*** UPDATE ***

Pistol-Training.com has posted a confirmation of the adjustable grip Glock pistol.

Sobriquet
06-23-2009, 4:32 PM
I'd much rather have an HK.. but if I had to stick with that list, Glock 17 would be my only choice. I'd rather have more rounds of 124gr +P Federal HST or Winchester SXT than a larger caliber.

Make sure you put some real sights on that Glock instead of the garbage they ship with.

john323
06-23-2009, 4:35 PM
If it fits your hand go with the Glock.

stphnman20
06-23-2009, 4:37 PM
If it fits your hand go with the Glock.
If your hand doesn't fit the Glock, Make the Glock fit your hand! ;)

tyrist
06-23-2009, 4:43 PM
There are many more approved models from those makers than you included on your list.

thejackamo
06-23-2009, 7:44 PM
Maybe LAPD doesn't wanna stock up on 45 GAP just for one pistol?

I goofed on that model number - I meant Glock 30. I figure they have a full size 9mm (17) and a compact 9mm (19), why not have a compact .45 with the full size.

Cato
06-24-2009, 12:32 AM
Glock 17; very boring, but of the choices, it's the one I'd stake the live of the citizenry on.

frankiejoe577
06-24-2009, 12:35 AM
I don't know if it was just me or what but the one time I shot a Beretta when the barrel got hot the aim was really bad.... not just bad but REALLY bad. Could have been that the person that owned it never cleaned it... haha

BamBam-31
06-24-2009, 10:52 AM
^^^Prolly just the particular pistol in question. Of the Beretta's I've shot, all have been very accurate and reliable. My only complaints are of the slide-mounted safety (big issue) and the somewhat hefty girth for a 9mm (almost a non-issue, really). Glocks are simply the cat's meow for me. My 17 is shamefully neglected, but it seems the more I neglect it, the better it shoots. Very much the AK of pistols. And don't let anyone tell you Glocks are only "combat accurate," either. I can ring the 100 yd. gong at ASR all day w/ mine. Indian, not the arrow. ;)

THT
06-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Out of that list, I'd carry the G17. It's got the diehard reliability Glocks are known for, great capacity (17+1) and isn't as prone to kBing as the .40 and .45 counterparts. A kaboom is rare enough but a 9mm Glock kabooming is like finding a unicorn eating a four leaf clover with a leprechaun riding it. Okay, maybe that's overstating it as 9mm kBs have happened but the documented cases are far fewer than the larger calibers. And kBs aren't isolated to Glocks either.

thejackamo
06-24-2009, 11:57 AM
The only thing that worries me with Glocks is the stovepiping issue. Yeah I know, "don't limp wrist it you sissy!" but if you're ever in a stressful situation where you don't necessarily have time to observe good form, I'd rather have something that doesn't have the propensity of getting jammed when not shot in a "correct" manner - I'd rather have something that is going to go BANG no matter how I hold it.

BamBam-31
06-24-2009, 12:11 PM
The only thing that worries me with Glocks is the stovepiping issue. Yeah I know, "don't limp wrist it you sissy!" but if you're ever in a stressful situation where you don't necessarily have time to observe good form, I'd rather have something that doesn't have the propensity of getting jammed when not shot in a "correct" manner - I'd rather have something that is going to go BANG no matter how I hold it.

I can't for the life of me get my G17 to stovepipe. Oh, wait....:p

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/RChang824/SuarezIntlDayOne7-12-08031.jpg

(pic c/o Black Majik)

Black Majik
06-24-2009, 1:15 PM
I can't for the life of me get my G17 to stovepipe. Oh, wait....:p

(pic c/o Black Majik)

Heck, that quirky ol' G17 even spits out brass on the left side?? :confused: :confused: :D

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/RChang824/Burro8-24-08196.jpg

BamBam-31
06-24-2009, 1:26 PM
Only if you're faster than fast and dodging errant hockey sticks...;)

THT
06-24-2009, 1:27 PM
Heck, that quirky ol' G17 even spits out brass on the left side?? :confused: :confused: :D

Could be worse...my father-in-law's ejector is slightly bent so it throws the brass at your forehead. It got sent in to Glock last week because he got tired of dodging brass.

BamBam-31
06-24-2009, 1:29 PM
^^^I believe that's an ejector angle problem, not the extractor. :shrug:

CSACANNONEER
06-24-2009, 1:32 PM
For the ultimate reliability, go for a quality wheelgun! What are you doing that you think you'll need more than a couple of rounds to defend yourself with? Having to have the most ammo you can tells me that you are either a very poor shot or are planning on being in situations that most intelligent people would be able to avoid.

If I was forced to choose from your list, I'd go with a G21 even though I prefer a 1911 or a revolver.

hybridatsun350
06-24-2009, 1:33 PM

Yea, sounds like it, but they are similar words that are commonly confused! :cool2:

THT
06-24-2009, 1:34 PM

Yea, sounds like it, but they are similar words that are commonly confused! :cool2:

Bingo. This is what happens you stay home from work, sick as a dog and wandering forums aimlessly :D

radioed22
06-24-2009, 3:24 PM
I say the glock 17. With 17 in the mag of federal hst ammo. Easy maintenance and would trust my life to it.

Jonathan Doe
06-24-2009, 3:34 PM
I have fired most of the guns on the list and haven't had any problem with them.

smlockdown
06-24-2009, 6:57 PM
how does the glock handle the +p+ loads? Any issues there?

supermario
06-24-2009, 7:34 PM
I own a 5906 for over 15 years now and I haven't had any FTF nor FTE with any factory ammo of all sorts of bullet profiles. I did have some cycling problems with some really light target loads, but that's not the gun's fault. I have a Glock 21 and 23 and I must say that firing the G21 one handed loosely will give it some problems cycling. I haven't really put the G23 to the test, but so far so good with all the loads I've shot through it. The Beretta 92 I had was a very nice sample, accuracy with consistent 2" groups at 25 yards, very reliable too. I just didn't like it's size, but as a service pistol it's fine.

We have a 5906 in our family and a 910 and those DA Smiths are extremely reliable and great guns overall. I like the fact that you can chamber a round and have that simple safety to be ready to rock in roll. Great guns and we have not ever had ANY FTF FTE in 20yrs. Great guns, i think people dont like them becus they are not tacticool with a rail and actually have a safety!