PDA

View Full Version : Good Concealed-Carry

guppyinalightbulb
06-22-2009, 6:04 PM
I am really itchin' for a concealed-carry toy, something small and light, but reliable. The Ruger LCP seems decent, but had that recall and isn't CA legal. Why is that? (More specifically, what prevented it from listing?) The Ruger LCR seems pretty nice too, but not so sure its the one for me. Any experience with smallish concealed-carry pistol/revolvers? (I'm assuming .38 Spl. +P is pretty standard for revolvers, .380ACP for pistols, no?)

kar6man
06-22-2009, 6:47 PM
try a search. all your questions will be answered there.

Quiet
06-22-2009, 7:43 PM
I am really itchin' for a concealed-carry toy, something small and light, but reliable. The Ruger LCP seems decent, but had that recall and isn't CA legal. Why is that? (More specifically, what prevented it from listing?)

Just curious in why you are looking for a "concealed-carry toy"?

The Ruger LCP does not have a magazine disconnect and chamber load indicator, therefore it can not be approved.

cineski
06-22-2009, 7:52 PM
No offense, but I constantly see these questions. Why ask why? He didn't ask about the legality. Maybe he has a Utah CCW and travels to free states often. Maybe he's LE?

Just curious in why you are looking for a "concealed-carry toy"?

MallNinja
06-22-2009, 8:52 PM
Kahr PM9 or S&W J-Frame. /thread

Sam
06-22-2009, 9:13 PM
Full size 1911. I'm not kidding. A concealed handgun isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to save your life.

WyoDuner
06-23-2009, 9:05 AM
Full size 1911. I'm not kidding. A concealed handgun isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to save your life.

:confused: Don't even know how to respond to that one.

Here's some REAL options:

Kahr PM9, Kahr CW9 (les expensive than PM9), CZ RAMI. All 9mm. None cheap.

Kel-Tec PF-9. 9mm, inexpensive rough trigger but not too bad. Lifetime warranty.

Bersa .380 thunder. .380. Inexpensive and reliable.

BTW, I carry a CZ RAMI and my wife carries a Bersa .380.

paul0660
06-23-2009, 9:14 AM
I would go for a snubnose and pocket carry it. In fact, I do. No worries about being made, or about reliability. And, about 100,000 times more useful than the big gun you leave home. Get one that weighs less than 25 ounces or so and you will forget it is there.

rgs1975
06-23-2009, 9:58 AM
I use a S&W 432PD w/CT grips. It's a J frame, 1 7/8" barrel, 6 shot, airweight revolver.

Pistolwhipped
06-23-2009, 10:01 AM
+1 For the bersa 380. Its a very accurate pistol and very inexpensive too.:thumbsup:

Sam
06-23-2009, 10:14 AM

Kel-Tec PF-9. 9mm, inexpensive rough trigger but not too bad. Lifetime warranty.

I'll admit I was being a punk when I answered, but I still stand behind my answer even though I overlooked the fact that the OP wants something small and light. If he wants something small and light then that's what he should get and I was only offering my opinion.

MasterYong
06-23-2009, 10:25 AM

hehehe... guess it worked in Gran Torino!

Aaaaaanyways.... I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II and love it. 3" barrel, relatively lightweight, and it's still a 1911. Go for it.

Mac Attack
06-23-2009, 10:27 AM
I started with a j frame for pocket carry, then to a Colt Mustang, kel-tec P3AT and finally settled on a P32.

All due to ease to carry and weight in pocket. A heavy gun in the pocket is not the type of thing you drop in and forget about it. When I carried my sw 638 in a kramer pocket holster I found I left it at home or in the car often due to weight and comfort.

Imho the lighter the better. I can drop my P32 into my pocket and completely forget about it until I need it. I figure 7 rounds of 32 fired as fast as I can would buy me time to get my butt out of there.

Lucky Scott
06-23-2009, 10:29 AM
I carry a .38 snub nose loaded with good hollowpoints. It is easy to carry.
I also have a S&W .40 cal for times when I can carry a full size handgun.

The .38 revolver is always the go to gun. Easy to carry, easy to conceal, and always goes bang no matter what.

sirgiles
06-23-2009, 10:33 AM
+ 1 for Kahr PM9

doc540
06-23-2009, 10:45 AM
currently carry this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Colt%20Agent/ColtAgent002-3-1-1.jpg

caoboy
06-23-2009, 10:49 AM
glock 26?

http://www.vpc.org/graphics/glock26.jpg

goathead
06-23-2009, 11:32 AM
i say glock 26 or 27

Opus109
06-23-2009, 11:36 AM
+1 for Glock.

1911su16b870
06-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Carry the lightest, smallest firearm you can shoot accurately. For me that is a full size 1911, G21, XD9 or a G26.

Steve-O
06-23-2009, 12:54 PM

Remember, what works for one person, might not work for all. I can comfortably conceal a full size 1911 or Glock easily. It does help that I am 6'7" and 280 lbs. :D

WyoDuner
06-23-2009, 2:53 PM
Remember, what works for one person, might not work for all. I can comfortably conceal a full size 1911 or Glock easily. It does help that I am 6'7" and 280 lbs. :D

Fair enough.... If that works for you. A full size all steel gun like a 1911 is heavy - flat, but heavy. I think I weighed my Kimber at 38 oz with magazine in but unloaded.

mala in se
06-23-2009, 3:02 PM
kahr MK9.

glbtrottr
06-23-2009, 3:54 PM
If you're into 1911's - and I am - a Kimber Ultra Carry. 4.25 lb trigger from the factory, night sights, etc... You can rent them at multiple ranges locally.

If you're into a 9MM pocket pistol, a Kahr PM9 will do.

Otherwise, a Glock 26 or 27, unless you'd like a standard, in which case I'd enjoy a Glock 19 or 23.

If you're into SIG, a P239 or P229 will do nicely in whatever caliber you choose.

Joe
06-23-2009, 4:16 PM
kahr mk9

Greg-Dawg
06-23-2009, 4:21 PM
Glock 27.

Futurecollector
06-23-2009, 4:28 PM
I carry a 4inch .357 Colt Python, nickel of course!!!

Watercadet
06-23-2009, 4:50 PM
Glock 27 with mag extension and clip draw! Fits in the small of my back and is unnoticeable.

Sobriquet
06-23-2009, 4:55 PM
HK P2000sk.

Futurecollector
06-23-2009, 5:29 PM
Can someone take a hand picture with the G-26 or 27 sitting on there hand, I havent actually been able to fondel one, and I want to know how small these are lol

Watercadet
06-23-2009, 5:40 PM
First with Factory mag and Pearce Grips +2 extension:
http://gi170.photobucket.com/groups/u259/JA12FPBOKV/DSC02328.jpg

Second with stock mag:
http://gi170.photobucket.com/groups/u259/JA12FPBOKV/DSC02329.jpg

Third with Glock 23 Mag:
http://gi170.photobucket.com/groups/u259/JA12FPBOKV/DSC02330.jpg

Note: I am a LEO and the +2 extension makes the factory 9 rnd mag hicap. The 13 rnd Glock 23 mag is too :cool:

Fjold
06-23-2009, 5:43 PM
M&P 40C is as small as I feel comfortable with. I had a Keltec 380 but the thin backstrap and lack of third finger grip even with the the finger extension was too uncomfortable.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Guns/DSC00993.jpg

CD MCKINNEY
06-23-2009, 5:50 PM
I [always] carry this 5" 1911 10MM, [concealed] w/ Double Tap 200 gr. XTP/JHP's [1290/705] as I like to be ARMED [when I'm armed].

QuarterBoreGunner
06-23-2009, 6:06 PM
Carry the lightest, smallest firearm you can shoot accurately. For me that is a full size 1911, G21, XD9 or a G26.

Best advice so far.

rgs1975
06-23-2009, 6:27 PM
Here is my S&W 432PD (J frame) with my hand for size comparison. I have small hands by the way...pudgy...but small.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/4817/dsc05062v.jpg

jazman
06-23-2009, 6:58 PM
This is one of my favorites...carried in a Mika pocket holster nice and light.
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff199/jazman23/DSC02312.jpg

paul0660
06-23-2009, 7:06 PM
I like to be ARMED [when I'm armed].

Right. When you are. I pressure washed a 30' by 60' overhang today, (and got soaked, good thing it was 97 in the shade) crawled under my house to change an internet access point, and wrestlemania'd the grandkids when I got home....all with that snubby in the pocket. Doctors, lawyers, indian chiefs, and cops can probably get by with a slab tied to their hip.............not me.

As for the PM9........I never owned one, but for what it offers, a snub is close, if not equal, except for reliability, a race the snub will always win.

M47_Dragon
06-23-2009, 7:14 PM
I think every collection of firearms should include a small (J-frame) revolver anyway...

My advice would be to get a lightweight J-frame, if it works for CCW, great. If it doesn't, at least you have the "small revolver" part of your collection in place.

:cool:

paul0660
06-23-2009, 7:19 PM
if it works for CCW, great. Absolutely. And if it doesn't you can hang it on the other side of your pants to counterweight the 2.5 lbs on your strong side. The suspenders last longer that way.

GoodEyeSniper
06-23-2009, 8:18 PM

How thin is the CZ RAMI compared to the full size/compact models? I have a compact .40 and I absolutely love the gun. However if I was in the market for something that is much easier to conceal, thickness would be my first concern.

If I could ever carry concealed, I think I'd look for a bit smaller gun that can also be carried cocked and locked, similar ergos etc... as my warm weather gun. Though just testing this one out Mexican carry around the home, I can get away with some snug shirts/jeans no problem.

Mac Attack
06-23-2009, 8:51 PM
While I totally agree that a full sized handgun is a good alternative there are times when you can't wear one easily. For example, when you are wearing a pair of shorts or anything without a belt. How do you carry your gun? Sure you can wear a belly band holster or a jacket. I know, because I carry a full sized 1911 when I can, but when I don't have concealment such as at work or when I don't feel like strapping it on I used to go without.

After getting my P32, I just drop it in my pocket and forget about it. In light shorts it is light enough that it doesn't pull my pants down even when I have a knife and wallet in my other pockets. Can you say the same thing with a J frame?

I carried a J-frame for nearly a year and although I agree it is a great gun when I carried it I always knew it was there and many a times I chose not to carry it and left the house unarmed. This was in GA were you have to carry a firearm in a holster and you couldn't just drop it into your pocket or put it in your waist band.

To each there own but I would not rule out a mouse gun because the best gun is the one you have on you regardless of the caliber.

GoodEyeSniper
06-23-2009, 9:28 PM
For example, when you are wearing a pair of shorts or anything without a belt. How do you carry your gun? Sure you can wear a belly band holster or a jacket. I know, because I carry a full sized 1911 when I can, but when I don't have concealment such as at work or when I don't feel like strapping it on I used to go without.

I don't get why people always bring up the shorts thing. How are shorts somehow more difficult to conceal in than a pair of slacks? Unless you are wearing hot pants or something. Granted, I've never had to deal with the ins and outs of daily concealing of a weapon, since I can't get a permit, so I may be missing something obvious.

If it conceals in jeans, it seems like it would conceal just as easily in some shorts, as long as the shirt is similar.

Just carrying around the house in a few different pairs of shorts, concealment was identical to jeans. the biggest factor, for me, is how the shirt fits.

M47_Dragon
06-23-2009, 9:34 PM
In light shorts it is light enough that it doesn't pull my pants down even when I have a knife and wallet in my other pockets. Can you say the same thing with a J frame?

I can say the same thing with my J frame. It's made of Scandium alloy and is pretty light... not as light as a P32, but it doesn't pull my shorts down.

rgs1975
06-23-2009, 10:04 PM
I can say the same thing with my J frame. It's made of Scandium alloy and is pretty light... not as light as a P32, but it doesn't pull my shorts down.Yup, I can say that about my J frame as well. It's an airweight frame and the ammunition is only 32 caliber, not nearly as heavy as 38, 357 or 45.

Mac Attack
06-23-2009, 10:11 PM
I don't get why people always bring up the shorts thing. How are shorts somehow more difficult to conceal in than a pair of slacks? Unless you are wearing hot pants or something. Granted, I've never had to deal with the ins and outs of daily concealing of a weapon, since I can't get a permit, so I may be missing something obvious.

If it conceals in jeans, it seems like it would conceal just as easily in some shorts, as long as the shirt is similar.

Just carrying around the house in a few different pairs of shorts, concealment was identical to jeans. the biggest factor, for me, is how the shirt fits.

No offense intended, but i don't know how carrying around in the house compares to actual carrying day in day out but I suspect it is not the same.

I am from GA and during the hot humid summers you wear as light a pair of shorts as you can to beat the heat. I wore what were basically swim trunks with no belt loops quite a bit during the GA summers. Another thing, GA does not have a printing law like other states do because any law abiding citizen 21 years or or older can legally open carry a loaded handgun. I saw people open carrying but most of them looked like they were on their way to hunt or just finished hunting. Since GA is a shall issue state most just got their permits and carried concealed. Don't get me wrong, you can easily carry a full sized in similar shorts but one pocket would be dropping down much lower than the other. I never liked the feeling of pocket carry with a heavy handgun. I tried a J-frame, Llama .380, Colt Mustang, Colt 1908M(.380 acp), and even a P7 (what was I thinking) and didn't like the feeling of any of them. Maybe it's just me but it was not comfortable to have that unbalanced feeling like when you pocket carry a heavy handgun.

I have several friends who live in the South who never left home without their P32's or P3AT's. I had told myself the lowest powered round I would carry would be a .38+P and always used to rag on my friends on their little mouse guns. One day I was talking with them about pocket carry and one of them offered to lend me his spare P32. I carried it and shortly after was converted over to the small and light crowd. I found that my P32 and later P3AT were constant companions when I wasn't carrying my full sized 1911.

Anyways, YMMV and to each there own. If you can easily pocket a full sized handgun and it doesn't bother you then go for it.

GoodEyeSniper
06-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Oh, well I could easily see it that way. I was just thinking along the lines of shorts that you can wear belts with. It sounds like printing is less a concern with those light shorts than the lack of a belt.

I was thinking specifically IWB + Holster, as it seems many people always use the shorts claim for smaller guns. I guess I just didn't imagine people wanting to wear gym shorts while packing.

MallNinja
06-23-2009, 11:42 PM
You can always wear a belt with your basketball shorts.

precisionshooter308
06-24-2009, 8:58 AM
If you have the money get the PM9 for pocket carry. I do love J frames but the PM9 is thinner. If you are wearing jeans the PM9 is faster out of the pocket. If you will belt carry go with the G26 (more firepower more better)

RomanDad
06-24-2009, 9:10 AM

I wear drawstring swim shorts most of the year. Any holster that requires a belt is a nogo. Plus, just carrying most guns is impossible as the weight of the gun itself LITERALLY PULLS THE SHORTS DOWN. And at that point, exposing my gun is the least of my worries.

I carry a really small gun because of it, and have no problems. Nobody EVER suspects Im carrying ANYTHING.

WyoDuner
06-24-2009, 11:51 AM
How thin is the CZ RAMI compared to the full size/compact models? I have a compact .40 and I absolutely love the gun. However if I was in the market for something that is much easier to conceal, thickness would be my first concern.

If I could ever carry concealed, I think I'd look for a bit smaller gun that can also be carried cocked and locked, similar ergos etc... as my warm weather gun. Though just testing this one out Mexican carry around the home, I can get away with some snug shirts/jeans no problem.

How thin? Not very. :) It's about 1.25" or 1.30" - can't recall exactly. It has a double stack mag so it's gonna be a little thicker. I picked this up because, as you already know, the CZs are decent pistols and I wanted a DA/SA trigger for a CCW piece.

It will print through a snug shirt for sure. The thinnest 9mm is still about 1" thick but for those single stack subcompacts have only 6 or 7 round mags.

So to get really thin you are looking at a single stack low capacity or go a little thicker and get a double stack higher capacity mag.

Honestly, the little CZ RAMI is about as small as I like to go size-wise but yes, thinner would be nicer.

leitung
06-24-2009, 12:10 PM
I carry my G19 in a shoulder holster, I find that to be the most confortable, as I can accually carry any size firearm I want and conceal it well.

1911su16b870
06-24-2009, 1:01 PM
Best advice so far.

Thanks QBG! ;)

Wanted to add, IMO carrying a firearm is not, nor ever will be comfortable, in as much as carrying a fire extinguisher would be comfortable. We do so because we want to be able to defend ourselves and our loved ones if in the 0.01% chance, some other cretin makes us have to.

ChrisDM
06-24-2009, 1:20 PM
I have a RAMI in 40 cal as my "heavy" carry gun, and a Colt Pocketlite 380 for really light carry. while the barrel is only 3" on the RAMI it is relatively thick. The dimensions are very very similar to a Glock 26/27 but since its an alloy frame it is a little heavier I believe. My favorite carry is my pocketlite as it is a beautiful gun and I hardly know its there.

Here's the Pocketlite with a couple of his big brothers, a Full sized Kimber and a G21SF:

http://imagineimagery.zenfolio.com/img/v0/p849551085-4.jpg

And my RAMI with one of his big brothers, a Beretta 92:

http://imagineimagery.zenfolio.com/img/v6/p614293444-4.jpg

Hope this helps!

Chris

hkdad
06-24-2009, 2:02 PM
G19! i'm 5'9, 180 lbs, it's invisible when i carry it with an IWB holster, t-shirt and shorts. when i go to the philippines i don't have to worry about humidity, sweat and dirt. G19 always went "bang" when i needed it. :thumbsup:

Sacjesusfreak
06-24-2009, 2:07 PM
I Usually use my Star .380.... But the Bersa thunder .380 is a great size as well.. Good luck

Sam
06-24-2009, 2:20 PM

You hit it right on the head. Although the full size 1911 is heavy, a good holster and belt makes carrying it extremely manageable. I can still feel it, but it in no way limits my average daily activities.

hkdad
06-24-2009, 2:25 PM
You hit it right on the head. Although the full size 1911 is heavy, a good holster and belt makes carrying it extremely manageable. I can still feel it, but it in no way limits my average daily activities.

but if you are small and skinny a fullsize 1911 is hard to conceal wearing a t-shirt and shorts only! the OP was asking for a good concealed carry weapon.

Palindari
06-24-2009, 2:29 PM
Originally I went with a Beretta 9000s .40SW. Nice compact and my big meaty paws fit the grip for a compact. Shot great looked like business.

But carrying it was difficult. Too heavy and thick to carry in the pants and in the small of my back.

Went instead to the H&K P2000 SK .40SW (had to buy the reg size mags with adapters to fit my hand) and it works like a charm. Very easy to shoot. Not near as thick and quite a few ounces lighter than the Beretta.

It's all about personal choice and what you can afford. The Beretta was less than half the price of the H&K. But the comfort of carrying was definately not there for me.

Good luck in your hunt! :D