PDA

View Full Version : Hand Gun Safety Cert (HSC)

frankiejoe577
06-22-2009, 5:38 PM
I'm about to take the HSC test tomarrow. Looks pretty easy that anyone could pass it. My mom is going to take it also. She knows nothing about guns but she read the practice PDF. I got 100% all of the review questions in the PDF.

Do you know if they are the same questions on the test or do you know any of them so I can test my mom some more? Or make up some also to help her out. She is getting me a glock 19 as a gift. Thanks

Kingofthehill
06-22-2009, 5:41 PM
Thanks

vinny_land
06-22-2009, 5:59 PM
^ I agree with purchasing/transfer laws.

I have yet to take a HSC and im trying to figure out what is good 2nd proof of residency.

The Tech-1
06-22-2009, 6:05 PM
^your car registration

frankiejoe577
06-22-2009, 6:06 PM
The guy told me for proof of residency just bring in the car inssurance and my drivers license.

What do you mean by the purchasing/transfer laws. Can you post some example questions and see if I would get them right?

KJGIL
06-22-2009, 6:10 PM
The one question I got wrong was regarding transferring a firearm between family members, I remember 2-3 questions being about the topic but there are several versions of the test.

For second proof of residency, I also had my Selective Service Card but I think anything on government issue letterhead was ok, I know my POST T-score notification would have worked as well and I had my tax refund check just in case.

Kingofthehill
06-22-2009, 6:29 PM
Thanks

sirnonz
06-22-2009, 6:32 PM
a UTILITY bill work, or car REGISTRATION

MiguelS
06-22-2009, 6:57 PM
If you live with your parents and the car/insurance/and bills are under parents, what other proof can you show?

GoodEyeSniper
06-22-2009, 7:09 PM
Report card...

:43:

not sure on that one

aermotor
06-22-2009, 7:12 PM
Different questions, just as easy. Got 30/30 on Saturday, it's no big deal. Bring DL and car Reg since that should be in your car already and you won't have to dig up a bill.

Kingofthehill
06-22-2009, 7:12 PM
If you live with your parents and the car/insurance/and bills are under parents, what other proof can you show?

Lease agreement

JOe

tntmo
06-22-2009, 7:41 PM
I just printed out the study guide for my wife. She wants to take the test this week, most of the practice stuff seems like common sense. I've never taken the test since I'm active duty military.

vinny_land
06-22-2009, 10:21 PM
voter registration work?

andrewj
06-22-2009, 10:23 PM
If you lose your HSC, do you have to retake the test to get another?

MiguelS
06-22-2009, 10:27 PM
I think you just have to pay a fee for another card.

andrewj
06-22-2009, 10:36 PM

The HSC study guide only says this:

If your HSC is lost, stolen or destroyed, a replacement may be obtained from the DOJ Certified Instructor who issued your original HSC.

I guess I dont need to pay a fee...? :confused:

hawk1
06-22-2009, 10:37 PM

Have your mom or dad draw up a lease/rental agreement for you to live at their address. You can find them on the web.

MiguelS
06-22-2009, 10:39 PM

Glad that ? was not asked on the test. :)

andrewj
06-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Glad that ? was not asked on the test. :)

Scratch that. It went on to say:

In the event of a lost, stolen or destroyed HSC, the issuing DOJ Certified Instructor will issue a replacement HSC for a fee of $15. You must present proof of identity to receive a replacement HSC

Bummer :(

KJGIL
06-22-2009, 10:40 PM

That was the same issue with me, like I said, Selective Service Card, go to http://www.sss.gov/ and assuming you're registered, you should get it within a week a or so. I brought my second proof on the day of my pick up.

You can also do a lease agreement like another poster said, something like "I owe my parents XXX a month at this address" then have yourself and your parents sign it. I think that's all that you need on that, at least that's what my dealer relayed to me.

Things that don't work:
Pay Stubs
Cell Phone Bills (Landline bills are ok I think)
Many more I haven't thought of but basically has to be a government (any level) issue doc with your address on it.

MiguelS
06-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks for clearing that up...I figured that the cards cost $$ themselves. Nothing is free no mo.

ke6guj
06-22-2009, 10:50 PM
If you lose your HSC, do you have to retake the test to get another?

From the CADOJ FAQ:
If I lose my Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) can I get a replacement?
Yes. A replacement Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) is available only through the DOJ Certified Instructor who issued your HSC. The HSC replacement cost is $15. The replacement HSC will reflect the same expiration date as your original HSC.

TitanCi
06-22-2009, 11:35 PM
dude if you read the booklet, you're good. don't stress it. get a good night's rest and just take it. think logically and you'll do fine!

thejackamo
06-22-2009, 11:41 PM
voter registration work?

I've used a voter registration card many times. Some places don't accept it for one reason or another, though; they'd rather err on the side of caution and go with what they know, I suppose. Their ignorance just means I take my money someplace else.

CHS
06-23-2009, 12:11 AM
Heh, I never read the book. I just walked in and took the test.

It's really not a big deal and nothing to stress over.

P1X4R
06-23-2009, 12:51 AM
i stressed over taking this simple test for the longest time. i told myself things like i'd rather purchase rifles since handguns were overpriced in comparison. yes, it was silly talk to help me justify not taking it for fear of failure. i can say this now with humorous relief. :D

last week i went into my local gun shop to finally take it. i finished it carefully in 10 minutes. it took the guy only 2 seconds to look it over. he said, "congratulations! you got a 100!" i was a bit shocked because it couldn't have taken him that fast to look it over completely. lol. no matter. i paid my $25 and received my HSC!! :)

i'll be picking up my first handgun next tuesday! whooot! http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh285/P1X4R_2008/TMP/chewie0ol.gif

projectalpha
06-23-2009, 8:29 AM
It's super easy. My girl who took it with me doesn't know anything about guns and scored 100%.

evidens83
06-23-2009, 9:08 AM
I contemplated reading over the booklet before taking the test but I didnt. And I only missed 1 question! Its all pretty much common sense answers. Only a complete idiot can fail this! (sorry if you failed I didnt mean that)

Nismo
06-23-2009, 10:05 AM
I contemplated reading over the booklet before taking the test but I didnt. And I only missed 1 question! Its all pretty much common sense answers. Only a complete idiot can fail this! (sorry if you failed I didnt mean that)

I renewed mine a few weeks ago and a guy was taking his and he missed about 12 of them, maybe more. :eek:

I took my sister to get hers last year and she missed none of them and she isnt even a gun person, just common sense.

CHS
06-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Its all pretty much common sense answers. Only a complete idiot can fail this! (sorry if you failed I didnt mean that)

Don't apologize, if you fail this test then you *ARE* and idiot. Period.

frankiejoe577
06-23-2009, 2:10 PM
I will let you know how it goes when I go in at 6pm

frankiejoe577
06-23-2009, 9:45 PM
I got 30/30. I told my mom you better try to beat my score then I told her I got 100% She quickly followed and got 30/30 also. She had a problem pulling the slide back on the gun for the first time in her life tho. Hahah.

Got my G19 for $549.99

CAG23
06-24-2009, 1:19 AM
Not to get off topic but do you have to renew HSC to own handguns or is it only if you want to purchase handguns. Mines gonna expire in next two years but this thread sparked curiosity. I don't remember reading about this anywhere.

frankiejoe577
06-24-2009, 1:38 AM
You only need it to buy handguns. Just take the test again if you want to buy more after it expires. The Dealer tried to tell me I could not get the HSC after I took the test and showed him my DL and I was under 21. I told the guy I know the laws and that if your 18+ you can take it. He said, "WOW! you must know the gun laws, alright I will fill it out for you."

CAG23
06-24-2009, 1:49 AM
That's good. 25 bucks every few years just to own would suck, sounds like something California would do.

johnny_22
06-24-2009, 5:12 AM
My wife, sister-in-law and I took a Basic Pistol class before taking the test. Answers were fresh in the mind and no problem passing the test (30/30 for me, 29/30 for my wife; "passed" for SIL).

tntmo
06-24-2009, 6:00 PM
My wife passed her test today, 29/30 after having the study guide with her at work for two days. Time to shop for her pistol.