PDA

View Full Version : CA Noobie question for Sig 556

john4045
06-22-2009, 2:43 PM
Hi Guys,

I just moved to CA and was wondering if it would be legal for my cousin to sell his Sig 556 and ship it to me. It doesn't have a collapsible stock and I know I can't have hi-cap mags here. I'm not to keen on CA gun laws and am not looking to go to prison..haha.:eek: Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

hkusp9c
06-22-2009, 3:18 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=133011

Henry47
06-22-2009, 3:36 PM
instad of a link, i'll tell you.

he'll need to ship it to an FFL. some FFLs require the shipper to be an FFL. If your FFL will accept it, it must be in ca approved configuration.

john4045
06-22-2009, 3:39 PM
Thanks...I've been doing a little search-fu.

Does CA compliant mean....bullet blocker and mag modification?

Thank you

Quiet
06-22-2009, 8:35 PM
Since, the SIG556 is not on the approved list, it needs to be modified in a way that makes it exempt from the approved list.

So, prior to being shipped to a CA FFL dealer, the SIG556 will need to be modified into a single-shot pistol. Which will require the installation a magazine lock and a "bobsled"/0 round magazine.

After it is DROS'd and the 10 day wait, you can modify the single-shot pistol into a semi-auto fixed magazine pistol. Meaning, you can remove the "bobsled"/0 round magazine and use a 10 round or less magazine with the pistol.

While in CA, you can never remove the magazine lock on the SIG556 and you can never use a large capacity magazine in the SIG556.
Unless you have BATFE approval, you can never install a forward vertical grip to the SIG556.
Unless you have BATFE & CA DOJ BOF approval, you can never install a shoulder stock to the SIG556.

pwall
06-22-2009, 8:43 PM
are we talking about the 556 pistol or rifle?

Quiet
06-22-2009, 8:44 PM
are we talking about the 556 pistol or rifle?

Since, this is in the handgun forum, I'm assuming the OP is talking about the pistol.

hawk1
06-22-2009, 9:52 PM
Since, this is in the handgun forum, I'm assuming the OP is talking about the pistol.

He mentions it "doesn't have a collapsible stock" so I'm thinking it must be a rifle and he posted in the wrong forum.

john4045
06-22-2009, 10:46 PM
He mentions it "doesn't have a collapsible stock" so I'm thinking it must be a rifle and he posted in the wrong forum.

Yup, I totally new to this forum....I can't even post in the right section.:confused: Yes, it is a 556 rifle w/ a collapsible stock. It does not have a folder.

RolinThundr
06-23-2009, 1:14 AM
If I remember correctly, the Sig 556 accepts AR mags, so get some 10 rnd mags (don't know if Sig makes 10 rnd 556 mags- or have your cousin modify the hi-cap mags to accept only 10 rnds) and have your cousin install a Bullet Button on the Sig. Must be shipped to an FFL dealer, so start calling around to get prices. That should cover you.

Midian
06-23-2009, 6:20 AM
What if the rifle is shipped disassembled, minus hi cap mags of course, and the BB is installed prior to the buyer taking possession of it?

I'm about to order the Sig556 Holo on Wednesday and want to make sure I have it shipped the the FFL correctly.

hawk1
06-23-2009, 2:50 PM
What if the rifle is shipped disassembled, minus hi cap mags of course, and the BB is installed prior to the buyer taking possession of it?

I'm about to order the Sig556 Holo on Wednesday and want to make sure I have it shipped the the FFL correctly.

Yes, remember though, on a Sig the upper is the registered part. You can have the upper sent to your willing FFL and the lower sent to you. Add the bb to the lower, then when the upper is out of the 10 day hold you can join the two together.