PDA

View Full Version : california fal question

StrangeBrew
05-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Would a fn fal be legal if the pistol grip was simply removed from a standard lower reciever?

C.G.
05-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Would a fn fal be legal if the pistol grip was simply removed from a standard lower reciever?
Yes, as long as any other "evil" feature is removed as well (i.e. flash suppressor etc.). Would you want to shoot it that way? Some people can do it, personally, I have a problem with holding it without a grip.

C.G.
05-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Yes, if 1) all "evil" features such as flash suppressor were removed as well
2) the receiver is not on DOJ list (FN is) such as Imbel, DSA etc.
Question is, could you shoot it that way? I know some people can, personally it is too much of pain for me.

StrangeBrew
05-10-2005, 10:54 AM
excuse my ignorance, its not FN, it is however a South African parts kit built on an Imbel receiver. I ask this question because the smith that built my fal forgot to modify the magazine. Anyways i am aware that i could do this myself, but if i could make my fal legal by simply removing the pistol stock, i would rather do it that way. Thanks http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

C.G.
05-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Anyways i am aware that i could do this myself, but if i could make my fal legal by simply removing the pistol stock, i would rather do it that way.
Make sure that you remove the stub! (Robinson Arms had to do that to make their M-96 legal.)

Technical Ted
05-10-2005, 11:49 AM
The smith will have to figure out a way to keep the trigger guard in place. Normally it's held down (up?) by the pistol grip.

Rascal
05-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by StrangeBrew:
if i could make my fal legal by simply removing the pistol stock, i would rather do it that way. Thanks http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Well, yes you can shoot it that way. I did this for awhile and finally got tired of it and put the mag catch on and got a 10 round magazine. For me, the pistol grip is so much more enjoyable to shoot with, than without it. I have 30 20 round mags sitting in the safe do nothing, but that's ok. If I ever go shooting Nevada I can always use them there. It's not that big a deal to change the mag catch back to the original again. I'm also getting pretty good at loading with stripper clips.

StrangeBrew
05-10-2005, 3:13 PM
Originally posted by cg:
Make sure that you remove the stub! (Robinson Arms had to do that to make their M-96 legal.)
oh, so i need to get rid of that thing too? does it need to be cut off or can it be removed by unscrewing it?

-hanko
05-10-2005, 4:03 PM
I ask this question because the smith that built my fal forgot to modify the magazine. Thanks http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Use a stock magazine, but drill a hole through the mag catch using the spring recess as your center point. Thread the hole for setscrew (I think 8-32). Adjust the setscrew to keep the mag catch from being pushed. You're done, about 10 minutes.

-hanko

-hanko
05-10-2005, 4:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cg:
oh, so i need to get rid of that thing too? does it need to be cut off or can it be removed by unscrewing it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Some unscrew, others you have to cut off. To bring the gun back to free state specs, just drill out the old stub & either thread the hole or weld a new pg stud in place.

-hanko

StrangeBrew
05-10-2005, 4:55 PM
It looks like i would have to cut off the pistol stub, as it doesnt look like i can unscrew it. In that case i will want to do the magazine modification thing. I have little experiance doing this sort of thing, so i was wondering if anyone knows if there is a guide explaining step by step on how to drill and tap the magazine. I cant beleive i cant just take the stock off, its not like i would be able to use the stud as a pistol grip.

C.G.
05-10-2005, 6:27 PM
It looks like i would have to cut off the pistol stub, as it doesnt look like i can unscrew it. In that case i will want to do the magazine modification thing. I have little experiance doing this sort of thing, so i was wondering if anyone knows if there is a guide explaining step by step on how to drill and tap the magazine. I cant beleive i cant just take the stock off, its not like i would be able to use the stud as a pistol grip.
Go to this site: Fal Cal mag mod (http://www.webshooters.org/diy_californiafal.htm)

C.G.
05-10-2005, 6:31 PM
Sorry, misspelled the URL - try again:Fal Cal Mag Mod (http://www.webshooters.org/diy_california_fal.htm)

StrangeBrew
05-24-2005, 7:29 PM
I bought all the materials to modify the mag release, but i cant seem to drill through it. Is there any trick to it? i bought the right drill bits and have been working at it for like 30 min. How long should it take to drill through the mag catch?

C.G.
05-24-2005, 8:14 PM
I bought all the materials to modify the mag release, but i cant seem to drill through it. Is there any trick to it?
Use a slow drill, get a pilot hole going and then use the proper size drill bit. It sounds like you may have burned your bit or it isn't biting (that's why a pilot hole helps).

StrangeBrew
05-24-2005, 8:20 PM
I dont have much experiance with power tools actually, could you inform me on how ot make a pilot hole?

C.G.
05-25-2005, 8:06 AM
I dont have much experiance with power tools actually, could you inform me on how ot make a pilot hole?
Pilot hole is drilled with a drill bit 2 or 3 sizes smaller then the intended bit, that way the larger bit will have something to bite into and will not take as long. If you don't have a decent drill, use a rechargeable they run slower.

xsquid
05-25-2005, 8:31 AM
I bought all the materials to modify the mag release, but i cant seem to drill through it. Is there any trick to it? i bought the right drill bits and have been working at it for like 30 min. How long should it take to drill through the mag catch?

You can also simply buy the mag release modified already. Rich at CGW sells them for $30 or so, which includes the tool and set screw.

StrangeBrew
05-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by xsquid:
You can also simply buy the mag release modified already. Rich at CGW sells them for $30 or so, which includes the tool and set screw.
I just called CGW and talked to Rich, he said he does not sell them http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

StrangeBrew
05-25-2005, 11:24 AM
i also tried to make a pilot hole, but I failed. If any of you guys have an extra modified catch laying around, i would buy it off ya.

Rascal
05-25-2005, 7:04 PM
Are you sure that the drill is spinning in the correct direction? Most drills have a forward and reverse setting. Also a little bit of cutting oil helps keep the bit from burning up. You might want to try Adonis, here on the board. I got mine from him, and it was cheaper than 30 bucks. I haven't heard from him for awhile, but you could sen him an email.

esskay
05-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by cg:

I wasn't aware that Rob Arms was removing the stub? See the pic of their "Kali modification" below from their website:
http://www.robarm.com/images/M96%20CA%20700.jpg

C.G.
05-25-2005, 10:45 PM
I wasn't aware that Rob Arms was removing the stub? See the pic of their "Kali modification" below from their website:
Look at the set of DOJ letters on their website; aside from being informative, it also mentions they have to remove the stub. Also, the ones I've seen in stores have no stubs.

Leo762
05-25-2005, 10:48 PM
its so damn ackward holding a rifle without a grip like that, i would rather have a fixed 5!! round mag than shoot it like that

s281c
05-26-2005, 7:02 AM
Originally posted by cg:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wasn't aware that Rob Arms was removing the stub? See the pic of their "Kali modification" below from their website:
Look at the set of DOJ letters on their website; aside from being informative, it also mentions they have to remove the stub. Also, the ones I've seen in stores have no stubs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ummm.......the one I got a couple of months ago has the stub...........

C.G.
05-26-2005, 8:04 AM
ummm.......the one I got a couple of months ago has the stub...........
I stand corrected then. Maybe DOJ changed their mind like they did with the Vulcan blocked off 20 round mags.

imported_MaxQ
05-26-2005, 5:55 PM
StrangeBrew - I've got an extra drilled and tapped catch that I was saving for a future build, but I won't be getting around to that for a while. If you still need one, let me know.

StrangeBrew
05-26-2005, 8:25 PM
thanks for the offer man, but i just sent my mag catch to Rich at foulton armory, he said he would modify it for me.

WOLFPACK117
05-26-2005, 8:38 PM
Hey Strange,

If you have'nt ship your mag catch yet, send it to me and i'll do it for free this time.

Adonis

gatdammit
08-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Thread resurrection? Search didn't work for me... Are FALs legal in CA? If the magazine is not detachable, can I have evil features?

elSquid
08-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Thread resurrection? Search didn't work for me... Are FALs legal in CA? If the magazine is not detachable, can I have evil features?

http://www.dsarms.com/SA58-California-Models/products/39/

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=124

-- Michael