PDA

View Full Version : 'Specific Destination' Law?

Spotted Owl
05-18-2005, 7:12 AM
Is there any law in California that prohibits stopping somewhere (e.g. a store or restaurant) while traveling to/from a range?

If so, does this law apply to rifles and shotguns, or only handguns?

imported_1911_sfca
05-18-2005, 8:53 AM
I don't think so. But if your handgun is legal, locked in a hard-sided container, and unloaded, you shouldn't have any problem, right?

Trader Jack
05-18-2005, 8:58 AM
A locked container is all that counts. "Hardside" has nothing to do with it.

imported_1911_sfca
05-18-2005, 1:13 PM
Oops, you're right. What I should have said is secure, fully-enclosed, locked container.

imported_1911_sfca
05-18-2005, 1:22 PM
Anyway, the original question related to 12026.2(a)(9):
12026.2. (a) Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the
following:
(9) The transportation of a firearm by a person when going directly to, or coming directly from, a target range, which holds a regulatory or business license, for the purposes of practicing shooting at targets with that firearm at that target range.

and the question is answered in the following section (b):
(b) In order for a firearm to be exempted under subdivision (a), while being transported to or from a place, the firearm shall be unloaded, kept in a locked container, as defined in subdivision (d), and the course of travel shall include only those deviations between authorized locations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Now, you must decide whether stopping for food is a "reasonably necessary deviation."

BSA
05-18-2005, 2:52 PM
You are probably ok, stopping off for a snack or bite to eat, as long as the place is along the route, from or to the gun range.

imported_Telpierion
05-18-2005, 3:12 PM
So long as it's locked in your trunk or a case you should be ok.

12026.1. (a) Section 12025 shall not be construed to prohibit any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or is temporarily within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, from transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that the following applies to the firearm:
(1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment.
(2) The firearm is carried by the person directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while carrying the firearm, the firearm is contained within a locked container.
(b) The provisions of this section do not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful carrying or transportation of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in accordance with this chapter.
(c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device.

CraigC
05-18-2005, 9:50 PM
well, you shouldn't be getting pulled over by the cops in the first place..... http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Spotted Owl
05-19-2005, 6:44 AM
You're right, I shouldn't get pulled over by the cops. About the only time this would be an issue is if my car was broken into while I was stopped somewhere to eat and I needed to file a police report.