PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Raptor or Warrior?

Butters916
06-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Im planning on purchasing one of the two this weekend and for a long time I have been leaning towards the Raptor. Now that its down to the wire of course im thinking about the Warrior. Any opinions or experiences would help alot. thanks

M47_Dragon
06-21-2009, 11:14 PM
I am not a Kimber owner, so don't listen to anything I have to say...

I've always thought the Desert Warrior was a nice looking gun. If I were getting a Kimber, that would be the one I'd go with.

The Raptor look, with those custom serrations... well, just not for me. Pretty, but not my cup of tea.

lehn20
06-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Neither, Kimber is not what they used to be.
These days they are junk, poor QC.

Spend your money elsewhere on a 1911 that actually runs.

leelaw
06-21-2009, 11:27 PM
I dunno what the above poster is thinking when referring to Kimbers as "junk", but I've had great experiences with them.

Between the Raptor and the Warrior, I think you could narrow the decision down to this:

do you want one with a rail, or not? They're very comparable (finish aside), but one has a rail, and the other does not.

The SoCal Gunner
06-22-2009, 12:32 AM
I've owned some very well made Kimbers.

It comes down to this for me. Do I want a looker or do I want something like a work horse? I own a Raptor and it is a nice gun and has not failed me. I bought it for the looks and it serves as a range gun but I don't holster it or abuse as I have other 1911s and pistols for that. If I were to own the Warrior it would be a work horse.

Here's mine. I might recommend other pistols depending on the price you can get the Kimbers for.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/lilxboi/Firearms%20and%20Knives/Kimber%20Raptor%20II/CIMG3842-1.jpg

Mississippi
06-22-2009, 1:49 AM
Sorry to say my kimber warrior had FTF's with different ammo and different mags. I could not trust it so I sold it. But I would not say their junk.

The desert warrior is not CA legal.

BlackDrop50
06-22-2009, 6:43 AM
Whoever says Kimber is junk usually hasn't shot their gun until broken in.

My raptor is going strong at over 3500 rounds with no failures after break-in. It's just as accurate as new. I use it hard(holster and action shooting) and don't care about the looks as much as most other people as I have no plans to ever sell it. EVER. If I was going to keep 1 gun, I would keep my raptor.

glockman19
06-22-2009, 7:16 AM
Of the 5 Kimbers I have 3 are Raptor's. I have the Ultra, Pro and Full size. They are my favorite 1911's.

As LeeLaw said,
"do you want one with a rail, or not? They're very comparable (finish aside), but one has a rail, and the other does not. "

And to agree with:
The SoCal Gunner,
It comes down to this for me. Do I want a looker or do I want something like a work horse? I own a Raptor and it is a nice gun and has not failed me. I bought it for the looks and it serves as a range gun but I don't holster it or abuse as I have other 1911s and pistols for that. If I were to own the Warrior it would be a work horse.

My Ultra and Pro Raptor's get shot and carried semi-regularly. The Full Size with high polished finish is as So Cal Gunner says never holstered.

I like Kimbers. I plan on adding the Stainless Raptor's to my collection too.

since I'm not into lights and would NOT use the rail I'd choose the Raptor.

The Warrior is a great gun too.

Kruzr
06-22-2009, 7:21 AM
Both might be hard to find on the shelf today. Even harder since you can't buy a new Warrior in California unless you are an LEO. You will have to order a Warrior II which might be a bit of a wait.

DeLaSeoulRZN
06-22-2009, 9:26 AM
I've owned some very well made Kimbers.

It comes down to this for me. Do I want a looker or do I want something like a work horse? I own a Raptor and it is a nice gun and has not failed me. I bought it for the looks and it serves as a range gun...

Same here...I have the Stainless Raptor and LOVE it!!! I like the 'scales' on the front and back strap as well as the slide and am looking to add the blued model as funds allow.

///D
06-22-2009, 9:33 AM
I could appreciate both but when it comes down to it, the Raptor is a little 'busy' for my taste. I'd have to ask myself would I get tired of the 'flash' and eventually would just want a classic 1911 work horse.

DeLaSeoulRZN
06-22-2009, 10:04 AM
or you can have both...it's pretty tough to just have one 1911 :)

calidude
06-22-2009, 11:13 AM
+1 to the comment regarding a rail. May not need one now, but may need one later. That's the reason why I purchased a Warrior :)

Buddhabelly
06-22-2009, 1:48 PM
Between the Raptor and the Warrior, I think you could narrow the decision down to this:

do you want one with a rail, or not? They're very comparable (finish aside), but one has a rail, and the other does not.

He's right.

I think you would want the rail. I think it looks cool and that way, you'll not say "what if" or "shoulda" in the future. The Raptor is nice looking at first, but you may get tired of the novelty eventually.

DarkHorse
06-22-2009, 2:56 PM
I dunno what the above poster is thinking when referring to Kimbers as "junk", but I've had great experiences with them.

Also, the Warrior has a lanyard loop in the mainspring housing, and the included magazine (singular; you only get one) has an extended basepad to clear the loop. The Raptor should have a full-length guide rod and scales on the frontstrap, whereas the Warrior will have a GI-style plug and a smooth frontstrap. Both have fixed night-sights.

To get either model new you would most likely get a "II" version, meaning it has a firing pin safety.

I don't regret buying my Warrior II, but I'm keeping my eyes open for a non-railed 1911 as well.

L-2
06-22-2009, 6:45 PM
My opinion should have nothing to do with what you want.
I personally just don't like the "Raptor" looks.

Here's my experience:
-I didn't think I'd like a rail and bought a TLE II. Some minor malfunctions, but any small probs were since fixed. Great gun.
-Then I wanted a non-Series-II gun. I was able to buy an SIS Custom, so I did. I could have gone with another brand, but didn't. Kimber was just the right price with the right features without going up to the $2K range. Again, minor functioning problems, since fixed.
-Then I looked at these railed 1911s and, for some reason, now they looked "right", and bought a Warrior (again, I wasn't limited to the Series II guns). I like the rail, especially now that I've also got a Surefire X300 to attach when I want. By now I was ready to expect minor functioning issues, but my Warrior was the most reliable out-of-the-box compared to my other two. (I'm wearing it right now!)

On retrospect, if there was one available and I'd known my tastes (in the future) I'd probably have been OK with the one of Kimber's railed guns right from the start, whether it's a Warrior/Warrior II/TLE II-with rail/etc.

Kimber generally has great frames, slides, and barrels. If the little stuff needs some tweaking, Kimber will do that for you, too, just be prepared to send it back for them to make some minor adjustments. Don't even think about how a $1K+ gun should work 100% out-of-the-box. It may not. If you want the 99% reliability, get a glock for less, or buy a Wilson 1911 for x2+ more. IMHO.

Kimber has so many models, although virtually identical inside, those many exterior options make deciding awfully hard, doesn't it? Nobody else can tell the OP, other than the OP, whether the Warrior's rail is important, or the Raptor's unique serrations/checkering.

Bottom line. I really like my Warrior! If/when you do get a Kimber, give me a PM and I'll let you know some of the minor quirks it, and some other 1911s, may have and how to "fix".
http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/pistols/warrior.jpg
http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/pistols/customshop/06_24_01.jpg

tiko
06-22-2009, 6:49 PM
I got the Raptor, looks slimmer than the Warrior.

Butters916
06-27-2009, 6:45 AM
Thanks everyone for all the input..Sorry it took me awhile to post I had some computer issues. Well I went to Wild Sports yesterday in Orangevale and decided on the Raptor 2. It just felt really well compared to the warrior and seemed alot less bulky. I am very excited to pick it up after 10 days since this is my first 1911 and have wanted one since that movie "last man standing" with Bruce Willis lol. Ive read about the 1911 addiction and can feel it creeping in....I decided the next Purchase will be a Kimber CDP Pro 2.

http://www.genitron.com/REV-Kimber-RaptorII/kimber-promo-s.jpg

stphnman20
06-27-2009, 6:52 AM
I have a Kimber Custom II.. I love it! No problems what so ever..
Id say get the Warrior..

gwl
06-27-2009, 7:11 AM
My pick would have been the Kimber Warrior (my next purchase) but I don't think you could have gone wrong with either. Congrats on getting the Raptor.

thebullet
06-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Well who ever says they are junk obviously has no experience. I own a warrior and I have put around 4000 rounds threw it and the only problem I ever had was with blazer brass ammo failure to feed. All other ammo I have shot works fine. I also was caught in the same dilemma the raptor or the warrior, I bought the warrior because I train and needed a rail for a light and a lanyard loop. It comes down to function like other posters have said a work horse or a nice show piece. you can't go wrong with a kimber.

ArticleTheFourth
06-27-2009, 2:04 PM
Good choice! I love my Ultra Raptor. Congratulations!

thawein1856
06-27-2009, 3:19 PM
congrats on the new toy. i am surprised you could find one. i was thinking of a raptor and they said 4-5 months. so that had to fall off the list...for now.

Butters916
06-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Well who ever says they are junk obviously has no experience. I own a warrior and I have put around 4000 rounds threw it and the only problem I ever had was with blazer brass ammo failure to feed. All other ammo I have shot works fine. I also was caught in the same dilemma the raptor or the warrior, I bought the warrior because I train and needed a rail for a light and a lanyard loop. It comes down to function like other posters have said a work horse or a nice show piece. you can't go wrong with a kimber.

Thats pretty much what it came down to, rail or no rail, more show or workhorse...The warrior is very nice and maybe someday I will pick one up but for right now the raptor just felt very nice, I like the grips a lot and it just looks badass. I agree, Kimbers are very nice!

Butters916
06-27-2009, 11:32 PM
congrats on the new toy. i am surprised you could find one. i was thinking of a raptor and they said 4-5 months. so that had to fall off the list...for now.

I found 3 shops with them in Sacramento. Wild Bills in Elk Grove, Cordova shooting Range, and Wild Sports which is were I bought mine. They also have the Eclipse Target 2, Raptor Ultra, Eclipse Pro, Royal 2 and Warrior 2 in stock.

The SoCal Gunner
06-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Is that a stock Raptor or did you add the extended slide release?