PDA

View Full Version : CA DoJ specs for weapons that differ from FED.

HEWA195@CS.COM
03-21-2005, 6:05 AM
I was looking the CA DoJ site over and noticed some differences from the feds. A destructive device in CA is a caliber over .60-but you would still run afoul of the fed definition of .50cal. The other was overall length requirement of 30" in CA -fed is 26".

HEWA195@CS.COM
03-21-2005, 6:05 AM
I was looking the CA DoJ site over and noticed some differences from the feds. A destructive device in CA is a caliber over .60-but you would still run afoul of the fed definition of .50cal. The other was overall length requirement of 30" in CA -fed is 26".

bwiese
03-21-2005, 7:17 AM
Yeah, I've always wondered if some of those big larger-than-50cal bolt 'elephant guns' are legal in US.

The 30" minimum length in CA is ONLY for semiautomatic centerfire rifles. Other guns can be less than 30" (but must be 26" or greater for Federal definition).

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Chaingun
03-21-2005, 8:40 PM
Building from a 80% receiver, BATF considers a complete receiver at 81%, and DOJ considers a receiver at 100%

Josh
03-24-2005, 2:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bwiese:
Yeah, I've always wondered if some of those big larger-than-50cal bolt 'elephant guns' are legal in US.

The 30" minimum length in CA is ONLY for semiautomatic centerfire rifles. Other guns can be less than 30" (but must be 26" or greater for Federal definition).

Bill Wiese
San Jose </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are perfectly legal, they often give expemtions on things over .60 as long as its a "sporting" purpose.