View Full Version : Handgun ownership for 20 year old

06-21-2009, 8:45 AM
OK, so I've heard you need to be 18 to own a handgun but 21 to buy. Does this mean my dad could buy a handgun and then legally transfer it to me? How would this "gifting" process work?

06-21-2009, 9:53 AM
I am 20 and my dad bought a handgun and legally transfered to me. All you have to do is fill out a form with basic info on you your dad and the gun that is being transfered, and send $19. Sorry I can't give you the link to download the form but I am posting from my cell, I'm sure another cal guner will chime in and post the link.

06-21-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm on my phone too so I can't give you a link to the PDF file but google the "Intrafamilial Handgun Transfer" form. Its really quite a simple process.

06-21-2009, 10:03 AM
You would need to do an Intrafamilial Transfer. this is the form:


The CA DOJ will conduct a background check to ensure that your eligibility to posses a firearm. The gun will then legally be yours. Buying ammo for it is a different story, you'll have to wait till your 21 to buy ammo. So yes, your dad can "gift" a handgun to you.

06-21-2009, 10:31 AM
I see, I see. All good info, thanks!

Hah, the ammo thing will be a hassle, but I guess I'll just have to go with dad and buy it cheap and stack it deep

06-21-2009, 10:37 AM
you can buy ammo, just state that it will be used in a rifle.

06-21-2009, 10:43 AM
You also need to have an HSC for the gun to be legally transferred to you.

06-21-2009, 10:44 AM
OK, how would I be able to prove that it was gifted to me? Let's say that I go to a range or whatever and they see my ID and realize that I'm 20 and I have to prove that it was gifted, do I need to carry the papers around?

06-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Don't have to prove that. There are no papers to carry around - for which you should be glad!

The 21 thing applies only to selling a gun to such a person, not possessing. But that also applies to selling ammo for a handgun, as has already been noted.