View Full Version : Notice to correct

06-20-2009, 10:17 PM
I received a white ticket from the CHP that was titled "Notice to Correct", for driving on expired registration even though my car has 2010 tags. He said it was considered expired because I bought the car 3 weeks ago and never got it smogged but already payed for registration, so now I am left with an incomplete registration. After he gave me the ticket he said I had 30 days to correct it and have it signed off. He also gave me a yellow ticket for driving with no headlights(it was 1:00 pm, but whatever). So I am left with a couple of questions, when he gave me the white ticket he said if I get pulled over again make sure to show the cop my white ticket so they dont tow my car, so does that mean I can still drive the car within those 30 days as if thats a grace period or something? Also why didnt I just get two white tickets or two yellow tickets? Whats the difference?

06-21-2009, 7:01 AM
I'd call CHP and ask them. sounds like to me the "white ticket" is a fix it ticket. contact dmv and ask them what you exactly need to do to fix your reg then fix it :cool2:

having the white ticket in your possession if you are to get pulled over again will help keep you from getting and actually citation from another LEO for the same thing provided you are within the 30 day period, in which time, you need to fix your registration. to get it signed off, and I'm just speaking on what my Department does and not CHP, but you need to show an LEO or the court you have fixed your reg and they can sign off on the ticket for you. in these cases you usually just pay a small court filling fee and not and actual fine.

as far as towing your car, as far as registration goes, again, not sure how CHP handles stuff so they might have different rules, don't know, but for your car to be towed/impound for registration your car has to be over 6 months past due/expired on registration.

06-21-2009, 8:46 AM
Sounds like you were driving with an incomplete DMV application. While you may have already paid for the registration in full, you still need to get the car smogged before your registration is valid. I'd suggest getting it done as soon as possible, as the vehicle can be impounded if the registration is expired over 6 months (which may already be the case). The vehicle is good for impound when you're driving it or when it's parked on the street.

If you look at your registration paperwork, it should say something to the effect of "Not an operating permit" or "incomplete permit, refer to below," get all those things fixed and your vehicle will be in compliance. Good luck.


And yes, all the information above is based upon my opinion and experience only. I am not a lawyer nor to I play one on the internet.

06-21-2009, 9:22 AM
Some more information, The car was smogged a little over 90 days before I bought the car and it was registered until SEP of 2010, and I bought the car about a month ago so it hasnt been anywhere 6 months since the previous owner released liability. I was just really paranoid driving my car thinking it was gonna get impounded, but I guess I should be okay driving it as long its within 30 days of my notice to correct, right?

06-21-2009, 9:40 AM
I'm going to guess here. Since the seller had the vehicle smogged more than 90 days before you purchased it, the car is not in compliance. Hence your ticket. You probably should go back to the seller and have him reimburse you for smogging the vehicle now. It was his legal obligation, not yours, (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2537) to have the vehicle smogged and then sell it to you within that 90-day period.
When a car is sold, who is responsible for the inspection?

The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

The inspection is not required on a transfer if a biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).

Note: Smog certifications are not required for transfers that occur for any motor vehicle that is four or less model years old. (Determine the oldest-qualifying year model by subtracting three from the current year.) A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner.

This site is a good one regarding checking a vehicle's smog history: DCA BAR Vehicle Smog Test History (http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/applications//VehTests/PubTstQry.aspx).
I was just really paranoid driving my car thinking it was gonna get impounded, but I guess I should be okay driving it as long its within 30 days of my notice to correct, right?

Now why would you not think he was telling you the truth? lol

06-21-2009, 12:40 PM
you guys tolerate this kind of nonsense?

06-22-2009, 4:53 PM
you guys tolerate this kind of nonsense?

What do you mean?