PDA

View Full Version : ? for LA PD Officer

aippi
06-20-2009, 5:08 PM
I build duty weapons for LEO's and have shipped several to CA, however, I can not send them to the Officers Department as I can with other states. When I send the weapon to the Department with the required Letter Head ID I know I am dealing with an LEO and yes, I give discounts to them. But in CA, since I have to send to an FFL dealer ( yes I am CA approved ) I simply have the LEO fax me a copy of his ID. I have a guy claiming to be an LAPD officer wanting me to build him an 870P for duty and I was not aware LAPD allows officer to purchase their own Duty shotgun. Is this True? He also claims it has to have Ghost Rings sights, which I find very hard to believe since most P models have either bead or rifle sights. Yes a few models come with GRS but I can just not imagine a Department requiring GRS sights only. If your allowed to purchase you own duty shotgun what are the requirements? I find this mans story very difficult to believe

Jonathan Doe
06-20-2009, 6:48 PM
They are allowed to buy their own as far as I know. Many guys even bought Benelli M4's.

DNA
06-20-2009, 8:05 PM
They are allowed to own and most of the LAPD guys I know get the GRS for their 870s.

Dan

tyrist
06-20-2009, 10:47 PM
You can purchase your own 870 Police shotgun for on duty use. It has to have rifle or ghost ring sights. The bead sight is not authorized.

bluestaterebel
06-20-2009, 11:51 PM
You can purchase your own 870 Police shotgun for on duty use. It has to have rifle or ghost ring sights. The bead sight is not authorized.

Yes, this is LAPD policy. Most guys like the Ghost ring sights, i prefer the rifle sights. Both are authorized, the bead sights are not for unknown reasons.
If you are not sure if he is leo, the best thing to do is have the LAPD officer Email you from his department email. It should start with his serial number ie: 12345@lapd.lacity.org

aippi
06-21-2009, 11:22 AM
thanks guys. The e-mail thing will help as I always check it and since most have the city, state or end in .gov I have weeded out a few trying to beat me for the discount...his was a yahoo and that concerned me also. It also seem since BATF lets me send to a sworn LEO's department that your guys are getting the shaft having to go to an FFL and pay that fee. We had PBA and they would jump on those type of things for us ( that one was not an issue in Florida ).....I'm sure your Unions have tried but keep at them since it is a state law that affects you..Thanks for the quick responses.

Ron-Solo
06-25-2009, 9:27 PM
Thanks for your support. LA Sheriff's is converting to 870's from the Ithica 37. Anyone from our department will have an e-mail ending in @lasd.org

bluestaterebel
06-26-2009, 6:57 AM
Thanks for your support. LA Sheriff's is converting to 870's from the Ithica 37. Anyone from our department will have an e-mail ending in @lasd.org

Yes, I heard that there will be many Ithicas for sale if Baca allows it.

Jonathan Doe
06-26-2009, 7:16 AM
I believe the dept was ordering 4,500 Remington 870's in 3 phases.

retired
06-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Yes, I heard that there will be many Ithicas for sale if Baca allows it.

From what I have been told (spoke with a range staff person and an Admin. Sgt. who was involved in the program, that since the 870s will be transition in over a 3yr. period, it will be a bit before the Ithacas will be available for sale.

Furthermore, the ones with the short barrels will be destroyed as required by the ATF. The remaining legal ones will be sold to those active and retired deputy personnel who want one. It has not been determined how they will do the sale: i.e. lottery or first come first serve.

I was told one case might be they will have 50 available in the first group and personnel will be allowed to chose from those which one they want. There will be no test shooting, nor will the dept. pre check the guns and fix any possible problems. What you get is what you get and there will be no returns.

It was also mentioned that some of the Ithacas are in really poor, poor shape. Considering they were in use before I got on in 1976, that wouldn't be surprising.

That said, I WANT ONE!. I purchased the S&W Model 15 revolver when we went to the 92f and I bought the 92f when I retired. It would be nice to have the complete collection.

Sorry for the off topic derail.

johnsta
06-26-2009, 9:15 PM
Would you be able to buy your own shotgun for LE use in the LA Sheriff? Also, what's the chances that the LA Sheriff will allow deputies to buy and register personal AR-15's for LE use in the future? I imagine allowing deputies to purchase and use personal rifles/shotguns would save the department money. Maybe I am wrong.

From what I have been told (spoke with a range staff person and an Admin. Sgt. who was involved in the program, that since the 870s will be transition in over a 3yr. period, it will be a bit before the Ithacas will be available for sale.

Furthermore, the ones with the short barrels will be destroyed as required by the ATF. The remaining legal ones will be sold to those active and retired deputy personnel who want one. It has not been determined how they will do the sale: i.e. lottery or first come first serve.

I was told one case might be they will have 50 available in the first group and personnel will be allowed to chose from those which one they want. There will be no test shooting, nor will the dept. pre check the guns and fix any possible problems. What you get is what you get and there will be no returns.

It was also mentioned that some of the Ithacas are in really poor, poor shape. Considering they were in use before I got on in 1976, that wouldn't be surprising.

That said, I WANT ONE!. I purchased the S&W Model 15 revolver when we went to the 92f and I bought the 92f when I retired. It would be nice to have the complete collection.

Sorry for the off topic derail.

retired
06-27-2009, 7:07 PM
Would you be able to buy your own shotgun for LE use in the LA Sheriff? Also, what's the chances that the LA Sheriff will allow deputies to buy and register personal AR-15's for LE use in the future? I imagine allowing deputies to purchase and use personal rifles/shotguns would save the department money. Maybe I am wrong.

I have been retired 6yrs. now and I'm long out of the loop. That question could probably be better answered by Ron-Solo and/or topgun7, both active members of the dept.

I cannot imagine that would occur, but stranger things have happened.:)

johnsta
06-28-2009, 10:27 PM
I have been retired 6yrs. now and I'm long out of the loop. That question could probably be better answered by Ron-Solo and/or topgun7, both active members of the dept.

I cannot imagine that would occur, but stranger things have happened.:)

Thanks, hopefully one of those guys chime in!

6172crew
07-08-2009, 8:39 AM
LASD won't allow you to carry your own room broom or ar15, but there are a few guys who bring personal brooms to work.

They are getting new shotguns so I don't see the need anymore.

I know of at least one deputy who managed to get a letter for a AR10 but it's not policy to sign off on the AWs. My buddy had a hard time getting his sign off for his P7M13 because "he already bought another off duty weapon this year"

edit: Im a moron, I thought the op was asking about lasd, not lapd.