PDA

View Full Version : Took my sister shooting for the first time!

THT
06-20-2009, 2:56 PM
She had never shot a firearm until Thursday when she shot my Glock 19 and 21. For a newbie, she did a fantastic job. At 15', she managed a three-round jagged hole with the G21 which is really something when you consider it has a set of XS Big Dots installed and it was her first time out. At any rate, the smaller framed G19 was easier for her to reach the trigger while the G21 required a slightly modified grip. She preferred the slightly less-snappy recoil of the .45 which may be in part due to it being a full-size.

At any rate, I want to encourage her and develop her marksmanship (or would that be markswomanship??) by buying a handgun more suited to her smaller hands. She's on a limited budget so it would be my handgun but available for her to train with it. We didn't have time for her to handle any of the range guns but I'm thinking a single-stack would better suit her (maybe a 1911??).

So this brings me to why I posted this thread here: as most women have relatively smaller hands, do any of you have suggestions for a handgun that we should look at the next time we go to the range?

wolf13
06-20-2009, 4:35 PM
Congrats on getting another person into firearms. My girlfriend tried a couple different guns, but ending up falling in love with the sig 239. It is on the smaller side, single stack, and metal, so recoil was not an issue. She tried that, the hk usp, and a S&W. Not sure what the S&W was, but she really liked that one too. Never had the chance to get her hands on a 1911, but I don't think it would have mattered, she was sold on the sig.

Hopi
06-20-2009, 4:48 PM
The SIG P6/225 series is a great, single stack gun.

Meplat
06-20-2009, 10:41 PM
S&W Ladysmith?

forgiven
06-21-2009, 2:13 AM
Congrats on introducing your sister to THE sport. 1911's, Browning high powers, Beretta's, Ruger security-six, some of the smaller frame Smith & Wessons should all be decent choices for her. Enjoy.

Ishoot
06-21-2009, 9:44 AM
Maybe a H &K p2000....adjustable back straps could help. Nice brother you are letting her shoot such expensive ammo. :)

THT
06-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Maybe a H &K p2000....adjustable back straps could help. Nice brother you are letting her shoot such expensive ammo. :)

Between the job and the webstore, I don't have much time to shoot on my own but I always try to make time and my ammo/gear available to introduce new shooters to this sport/hobby/lifestyle. :)

frigginchi
06-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Try the Ruger SR9:)

Richie Caketown
06-21-2009, 12:15 PM
:useless:

you knew this was coming :D

THT
06-21-2009, 12:36 PM
:useless:

you knew this was coming :D

Camera's weren't allowed at the range.

masameet
06-21-2009, 9:08 PM
A Sig P226 or P239 would probably fit her hands just fine. Still it's probably better if she tries as many handguns as possible to see what fits her comfortably. Even some .22's with wooden grips (like Buck Mark) can be a tad wide for the female hand.

I've medium to largish hands (size 8 in women's glove; but a men's medium is too big for my hands) and can handle my S&W 1911 just fine. The recoil took a bit of getting used to. I think with proper firearms instruction any shooter can learn to handle the recoil from a 1911.

Dr. Peter Venkman
06-22-2009, 6:49 AM
Camera's weren't allowed at the range.

Then take a post-range pic.

gmcal
06-22-2009, 9:44 AM
Smith and Wesson M&P 9, the full size. A little larger than than the G19 in terms of barrel length and grip length but has adjustable backstraps which makes for a smaller grip than the G19. My wife didn't like my G19 but really likes her M&P.

pullnshoot25
06-22-2009, 10:08 AM
I like to suggest 9mm for women, maybe a .40. My current gun of choice is the FN FNP-9 or FNP-40. If I weren't already buying a Browning Hi-Power 9mm, I would be all over this pistol. It is a Browning design and very comfortable. Kind of looks and shoots like a Sig, just at 1/2 the price.

My other suggestion for a nice practical pistol is the Makarov :)

Steyrlp10
06-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Glad to hear about another positive experience. I'm trying to introduce my neighbor's GF to the local ranges in our area. She just bought a Sig in a .40, but was really taken with my 1911s in Colt and Springfield. It made her feel better that at 5'4" she's not too small to handle a CF pistol. (I'm 5'2" and don't have any problems.)

Angie
06-22-2009, 12:57 PM
A Sig P226 or P239 would probably fit her hands just fine. Still it's probably better if she tries as many handguns as possible to see what fits her comfortably. Even some .22's with wooden grips (like Buck Mark) can be a tad wide for the female hand.

+1. I love my Sig 226, though my 1911s fit just fine too.

Glocks (for my small hands) are all too thick and blocky to be comfy to hold and shoot.

Khram
06-22-2009, 2:10 PM
[QUOTE=Angie;2669799
Glocks (for my small hands) are all too thick and blocky to be comfy to hold and shoot.[/QUOTE]

I even find them somewhat blocky and have always considered sending some of my Glocks to Robar to have the grip reduction modification done. I'd like to see and handle one so modified in person though 1st.