PDA

View Full Version : Transfer of OLL from father who passed away.

LFM76
06-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Hello,

Please excuse my ignorance of my questions, just looking for some help. My father passed away in 2002. My dad had been in LE for 30 years and of course over time accumulated many guns. Recently while going through some of his stuff at my mothers, I found a stripped DPMS A-15 lower receiver. I looked it up on DOJ and found that DPMS Panther were band, but did not see the A-15 listed. Is the A-15 considered and OLL? If it is an OLL what can I do to have this DROSD into my name? I can think of nothing better then to honor my father in making sure his rifle got built. Of course I understand that I may be told that it is nothing more then a paper weight, worse yet a paper weight that I can't have. Any advise would be appreciated.

Mssr. Eleganté
06-20-2009, 12:31 PM
If it is an off list lower then you can just take possession of it without any paperwork at all. The family relationship and inheritence aspects of the transfer make it exempt from both California and Federal laws that require the use of an FFL.

However, I believe that the DPMS might be considered a listed lower. There are a few threads around here discussing the DPMS/Panther confusion.

ke6guj
06-20-2009, 12:38 PM
IIRC, some DPMS A-15 lowers have the Panther markings and some don't. If yours doesn't say Panther on it,, then it should be Off-list.

Mssr. Eleganté
06-20-2009, 12:44 PM
IIRC, some DPMS A-15 lowers have the Panther markings and some don't. If yours doesn't say Panther on it,, then it should be Off-list.

Yeah, I just searched the legal forum for the word "PANTHER" and found a couple of threads that talked about the DPMS A-15 being an older, pre-Panther lower, making it an OLL.

LFM76
06-20-2009, 1:16 PM
Thanks everyone. I will research some of those threads myself. This has no Panther markings on it at all. Thanks again.

kemasa
06-22-2009, 4:34 PM
The CA DOJ lists only the Panther:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

You might want to call the CA DOJ and ask about it. Generally, they are very good about answering questions.

tenpercentfirearms
06-25-2009, 9:24 AM
Don't call the DOJ. It is simple. If it doesn't have Panther on it, it is an OLL. Now how do you get it into your name? You don't need to. Your father gave you that lower before he passed away. If anyone challenges you on it, tell them to go ask your dad as you turn away in tears. ;)