PDA

View Full Version : "Don't talk to police" A request for some perspective

Weekender
06-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Greetings to all Calguns LEOs

Given the increasing hostile (politically) environment we live in here in California related to gun ownership, I've been spending time trying to learn some "dos and don'ts" as it pertains to owning and enjoying firearms.

I came across this rather interesting video titled, "Don't talk to police" on YouTube. The video is a law school lecture that is rather long (48 minutes), but it was eye opening for me. You see I've held onto some of those childhood themes that our parents teach us to ALWAYS trust the police. Certainly as a child, this is still a sound lesson. But it seems that there is another side to this once we become adults that just is not clearly communicated.

The video's basic message is that as a citizen, there are no circumstances where anyone should engage in any discussion with a law enforcement officer without legal council - guilty or innocent of an offense. More disturbing was the message that LEOs can and do lie to "trick" citizens into unknowingly relinquish their rights.

Anyway, I thought it might be an interesting dialog to ask for some perspective from LEOs on this board.

The question I'd like to pose is this:
Under what circumstance would it benefit a citizen to make statements to a LEO?

Thanks in advance for you thoughtful responses and thanks for going out there everyday to get the "bad guys!"

Weekender

Here is the link to the lecture referenced above
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

J-cat
06-20-2009, 11:38 AM
When you are a victim of a crime and you want the perp to get caught.

sfbadger
06-21-2009, 9:42 PM
Great video along with other's in the same "thread". Everyone should watch and heed the lessons being taught. Know your right's and NEVER surrender them, USE THEM! :D

yzernie
06-21-2009, 9:55 PM
IBTL

Unit74
06-22-2009, 8:35 AM
The ones facing their third DUI or others who know the system already do this.

They still seem to end up in jail though. Does it work? Who knows...

Darklyte27
06-22-2009, 8:37 AM
repost 5 trillion!

1911su16b870
06-22-2009, 10:33 AM
With regards to firearms and LEO interaction: You firearm owner should know the law and follow the law.

The last thing and most bummer is for one of us firearm friendly LEOs learning about a firearm owner that was just pulled over and was not following the law. It is a loose-loose situation for everyone.

eta34
06-22-2009, 5:17 PM
As a LEO, I agree with the video. Don't talk to the police.