PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette butts

PeacePiece
06-20-2009, 10:11 AM
First of all, I realize in many parts of CA it's just not a high priority, but in others I can see why it would be taken more seriously. So I wanted to ask you LEOs out there....

Every fire season we hear that several of the big fires were started by human negligence/stupidity. I remember last year reading that a couple of them began as roadside brush-smolders, which are frequently (not always, obviously) discarded lit cigarettes. There is major risk of property loss and injury once they start a flare-up.

At least once a day I see cretins throw their lit cigarettes out of their car window. Obviously littering is ignorant and a violation by itself, but that's not what I'm getting at here ... like I said I don't think many people expect LEOs to be on litter patrol! There are far more important priorities for our limited law enforcement resources.

It is the fire danger I think of, especially in the more rural areas where the discarded butts blow into the dry brushy areas beside the road.

So I am curious if this issue is ever on your enforcement "radar" when on patrol, especially during dry season.... particularly interested in hearing from you guys who are working the less populated areas.

Thanks in advance.

tyrist
06-20-2009, 10:55 AM
If I have time I will write the ticket.

Some Guy
06-20-2009, 11:04 AM
My aunt got a ticket for this a couple years ago, IIRC it was about 6 or 8 hundred.

Fjold
06-20-2009, 12:26 PM
My neighbor threw her lit cigarette butt out her car window near Taft and actually hit the hood of a CHP coming the other direction. It cost her $1,500.

masameet
06-20-2009, 12:49 PM
I know a motor LEO who arrested a guy for throwing a lit cigarette butt into the street. Not because he's bad *** (and I suppose he is). For some reason he has a genuine dislike for marijuana, and that's what the litterer tossed as he saw the motor LEO ride towards him, a marijuana roach. The motor took the butt in as evidence too.

SanSacto
06-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Great point about the cigarette butts. IMO as a citizen I would like to see that enforced more. On the road, on the street, anywhere that is public propoerty.

SVT-40
06-20-2009, 2:23 PM
I used to love writing these cites. NO BREAKS EVER I didn't care who you are or what silly excuses you had or who you knew. Same goes for straight littering.

I don't think any cop would ignore this type of violation without reason. The only reason a LEO might have to is because he's on his way to a high priority call.

FLIGHT762
06-20-2009, 2:48 PM
My neighbor threw her lit cigarette butt out her car window near Taft and actually hit the hood of a CHP coming the other direction. It cost her $1,500.

Every Cop's dream. :D I would write them when I could, littering too.
I remember being stopped in traffic waiting for a green light. The guy in front of me was eating a Butterfinger. He peeled off the wrapper, ate it then tossed the wrapper out the window. I wrote him a cite. He should have looked in his rear view mirror.

Just like people still talking on their cellphones without hands free. Hardly anyone complies If you're too stupid to see the black and white passing by, you deserve a ticket.

TRICKSTER
06-20-2009, 3:47 PM
Ahh yes, the Paul Buzzo Act.

06-20-2009, 6:29 PM
A favorite cite for me too!

I love seeing some Bozo flick his partially lit cig into the street or any other trash for that matter. The last guy that did it was while we were sitting at a very long traffic light. Out sails a butt...So I just put on my ambers and got out and walked up to him. He almost had a heart attack.

I asked him to please step out of his car and recover his butt since I was positive he had accidentally dropped it. After all only a complete jacka** would do that in front of a police officer. He sheepishly got out of his car and retrieved his cigarette.

Funny thing...people saw what was going on and began honking and yelling write him a ticket...this guy was totally embarrassed and humiliated. One guy even yelled at him and called him a jerk! :hurray:

By this time the light was about to phase so I returned to my unit...I think the good folks who had commented on his actions did more than a ticket ever could...

Jonathan Doe
06-20-2009, 6:41 PM
Two violations that I have never gave a break to the drivers:

1. Throwing cigarette butts out of the window. Once, it hit the hood of my radio car.:(

2. The cars that smoking from the tail pipe.

I believe that the penalty of throwing cigarette butts out the window has a heavier fine due to it being flammable.

ojisan
06-20-2009, 7:30 PM
I'm a smoker. All I have to say is:
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j305/hueydumps/delay_book_em_danno.jpg

Especially if the butt is still lit and it is in a fire hazard area.

DRM6000
06-20-2009, 9:40 PM
i'm just loving what i'm reading about the zero tolerance for litterbugs. :thumbsup: nothing, i mean absolutely nothing, irks me more when i'm on the road than jerks who toss cigarette butts out the window.

i read about the ultimate lesson for a litterbug. guy tossed a lit butt out of suv on the sf bay bridge. his back window was open and the butt sailed back into the suv. the entire vehicle burned to the ground on the offramp. i wish i could have been there to cheer. :D

bluestaterebel
06-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Most cops have their own pet peeves for whatever reason, speeding, littering, California stops, etc..one of mine is unbuckled kids.I dont like the littering either

bubbagump
06-21-2009, 4:00 PM
Most cops have their own pet peeves for whatever reason, speeding, littering, California stops, etc..one of mine is unbuckled kids.I dont like the littering either

+1

Zero Tolerance:
Handi-cap violations
Littering
Taggers
Felonies

50/50:
Drunk in public
Drinking
All other parking violations
Potheads
Urinating in public
Underage cheese parties

Didn't care:
Curfew
Adult Cheese Parties
Vendors
Panhandling
Mutual Combat

bluestaterebel
06-21-2009, 4:07 PM
+1

Zero Tolerance:
Handi-cap violations
Littering
Taggers
Felonies

50/50:
Drunk in public
Drinking
All other parking violations
Potheads
Urinating in public
Underage cheese parties

Didn't care:
Curfew
Adult Cheese Parties
Vendors
Panhandling
Mutual Combat

Yeah, I hate the disabled parking offenders too

Fire in the Hole
06-22-2009, 7:33 PM
Sorry guys, I have to play the trump card here. You haven't experienced life until you are riding a motorcycle at 70 mph behind a baby Benz, and a perfectly manicured hand sticks her ash tray out the open left side window, and empties out about 30 butts into your face. Or good old boy Bubba, who's spit can is full between his legs does the same out his window, with you behind him. It's scrumdidelyisous.

BigDogatPlay
06-22-2009, 10:01 PM
The two pinches I never cut slack for were tossing a butt and disabled parking.

I actually got a two-fer once on an SUV full of people. Front passenger tossed a Starbucks cup right about the same time driver's side back seat passenger tossed a lit smoke.

Bummer for both of them.

retired
06-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Disabled parking was one of my biggest ones also. I think it hit home with me a bit more due to all of the surgeries I had and the difficulty I sometimes had in finding a disabled spot due to some lazy person parking in it.

I also cited those who didn't have their young kids in a car seat. I recall a few that had a car seat in the rear passenger compartment, but the mother was holding the child on her lap in the front seat.:eek: Yeah, they got a cite.

N6ATF
06-22-2009, 11:40 PM

I love seeing some Bozo flick his partially lit cig into the street or any other trash for that matter. The last guy that did it was while we were sitting at a very long traffic light. Out sails a butt...So I just put on my ambers and got out and walked up to him. He almost had a heart attack.

I asked him to please step out of his car and recover his butt since I was positive he had accidentally dropped it. After all only a complete jacka** would do that in front of a police officer. He sheepishly got out of his car and retrieved his cigarette.

Funny thing...people saw what was going on and began honking and yelling write him a ticket...this guy was totally embarrassed and humiliated. One guy even yelled at him and called him a jerk! :hurray:

By this time the light was about to phase so I returned to my unit...I think the good folks who had commented on his actions did more than a ticket ever could...

Oh how I would love to see the dash cam with audio of that!

gn3hz3ku1*
06-23-2009, 1:59 PM
i really wish i had a bike so i can pick up the cig butt and throw it back into their car :)

Triad
06-24-2009, 4:13 PM
Where I work is primarily mountain-ous and foresty...so if I see someone doing it, they will get a ticket from me, everytime.

Fire evacuations are a PAIN and people shouldn't have to worry about losing their house because of some ADAM HENRY's inability to reach 2 feet infront of him and put his butt in the ashtray.

luckystrike
06-25-2009, 2:02 PM
im suprised they dont put people to death in california for something like smoking anymore.

N6ATF
06-25-2009, 2:31 PM
That's redundant.

Turbinator
06-25-2009, 4:51 PM
I'm not a LEO, but everytime I see someone litter it just makes me wish I had a badge so that I could lay down some punishment. Glad to hear you guys don't give any slack on this. Keep it up!

Turby

N6ATF
06-25-2009, 6:44 PM
Not just a badge, I hear you need a lot of patience and a high tolerance for BS bureacracy. Run the ID of a litterer and they might come up with warrants, and then it's arrest, seizure of vehicle, paperwork paperwork paperwork!

Wompinblazer
06-30-2009, 12:52 PM
What the hell is a cheese party?

socalsheepdog
06-30-2009, 2:59 PM
When you cite someone for flicking a single butt out the window, your citing them for a lifetime habit of flicking butts out the window. They didn't just start that yesterday.

When I am in my POV and on a wilderness road and see it, I voice note their horse power into my phone and the location in case there is a fire. Not a bad thing for everyone to do.

doughboy334
06-30-2009, 3:16 PM

this story is awesome!:clap::clap:

Didn't care:
Curfew
Adult Cheese Parties
Vendors
Panhandling
Mutual Combat

haha.

SchooBaka
06-30-2009, 4:37 PM
I was watching that show, the first 48 this morning when I saw one of the homicide detectives flip a lit cigarette butt out the window of the car he was riding in while the camera was trained on him and he was talking. :toetap05:

fal_762x51
06-30-2009, 7:51 PM
I smoke the death sticks, but besides the whole possibility of a fire, there is the trash aspect. Get a water bottle that's 1/4 full of water and just dump the butt in there and cap it. Granted the wife my call you redneck, but its better then littering the highways and torching a field.

bubbagump
06-30-2009, 8:42 PM
What the hell is a cheese party?

Thats what I asked when I started working for the second PD. The first one didn't use that term.

It doesn't happen on every encounter...but it did happen to me once...and I will NEVER forget.

I was on park patrol detail and it was closing time at the park. I would always drive once through the parking lot and give everyone a verbal warning over the loudspeakers. Maybe a few horn blasts and some lights and sirens just to scare the couples off each other.

If they didn't leave after all that...I would start making contacts. This particular day, it was me, another park unit, and a parking enforcement unit. We made contact with the car.

The occupants were gettin it on. I'll never forget, it was a green mustang (90's), and it was a leather interior. When that passenger door opened and the girl got out (she was this cute, petite hispanic girl)...I was standing probably 6-7 feet from the passenger side door...and the smell was epic fail...SOUTH OF CHEESE...

Hence the term cheese party...

jafount
07-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I remember I once stopped a college age girl who, as she was pulling over for me (I was stopping her for speed) she took a big drag of her smoke, then proceeded to pitch the remainder out into the traffic lane.

Should have seen the look on her face when I made contact with her. I told her I was stopping her for her speed but was only going to give her a warning, but that I would be citing her for throwing the cigarette butt out the window in front of me.

six1nina
07-01-2009, 12:05 PM
i got a $300 ticket and had to do 8hrs of community service (which i had to pay $50 for) for ASHING my cigarette outside my window :mad:

bill104
07-01-2009, 1:03 PM
I got a warning in the mail once two days after getting a ticket in the mail, all for littering, both letter and citaion said I was seen tossing a lit ciggeratte out of my 1989 chevy truck, in the Colfax area of California, both ticket and letter even gave time and date, only had two proplems with it all, I never drove a 1989 Chevy anything, and I have not been within 50 miles of Colfax in 8 years. to this day I have no clue how that happened.

Khram
07-05-2009, 3:39 PM
I really enjoyed reading this thread. After seeing all the wildfires and starting to ride motorcycles last few years and meeting someone who got a huge fine, I have seen the light! I no longer ash cigarettes out the window or toss butts out though I rarely smoke and even less so in vehicles.

I really wish LE would step up enforcement of this when possible. I really get upset when driver in front of me is tossing flammable material out while I am out riding, I wear an open faced helmet.

Also once as a child I got burned on my face when some sort of cigar or cigarette debris blew in thru my parents open car window. Luckily it did not scar but I remember it to this day.

gdun
07-05-2009, 10:23 PM
thanks to all all the LE's for enforcing these laws.
Littering really pisses me off, and if i become LE, I'd always write that ticket too.

retired
07-05-2009, 10:30 PM
In all of my years in patrol, I never saw one driver throw anything out the window of their vehicle. I mean, I would have given them a ticket if I had because that is just a dirty habit and I would have like to have helped them break it with an expensive incentive if I could.:D

Either they knew I was around or I was always surrounded by clean people.;)

Keith92555
07-05-2009, 11:03 PM
+1 on lit cigs and handicap violations. All LEOs should write these up every time. I can't stand litterbugs, with particular contempt for the ones throwing fire out their windows. Plus, I've had 7 surgeries on my knee and #8 is coming in Sept. It galls me to no end when I see a 20 y/o female in 4" heels parking in the only hcap stall and walk into the store, then I have to walk through half the parking lot to get into the store. :mad: LEOs, PLEASE make these knuckleheads your special project!

retired
07-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Keith, when it was slow, I would always drive thru the shopping centers to check on handicapped violators. I always gave them a ticket if they weren't legit. That was one of my biggest vc violation peeves. I wish the dept. had given me a case of parkers when I retired. That might have been a problem tho since I live two counties over from where I worked.:D

I've had a number of surgeries also and when I was off work recovering, I had a temporary disabled placard. There were numerous times where I had to park in the North 40 due to some lazy and inconsiderate jerk that would park in a disabled spot.:mad:

masstransit
07-06-2009, 5:40 AM
I know a motor LEO who arrested a guy for throwing a lit cigarette butt into the street. Not because he's bad *** (and I suppose he is). For some reason he has a genuine dislike for marijuana, and that's what the litterer tossed as he saw the motor LEO ride towards him, a marijuana roach. The motor took the butt in as evidence too.

FUD. this is barely a ticket in california.

gn3hz3ku1*
07-06-2009, 6:56 AM

and he might be "sick"

Vectrexer
07-06-2009, 7:58 AM
Great point about the cigarette butts. IMO as a citizen I would like to see that enforced more. On the road, on the street, anywhere that is public propoerty.

No kidding! While I don't mind the smoking so much, I would like to superglue the used butts to to the fingers of every ******* out there who thinks the stree is there person trashcan by tossing their cigarette buts out the window. These people are probably the same folk who don't sweep their lanes after some range time.

masameet
07-06-2009, 8:52 AM

[Shrug] I gathered that the guy was carrying more than one mj cigarette. Hence the arrest.

gunn
07-06-2009, 10:38 AM
No kidding! While I don't mind the smoking so much, I would like to superglue the used butts to to the fingers of every ******* out there who thinks the stree is there person trashcan by tossing their cigarette buts out the window. These people are probably the same folk who don't sweep their lanes after some range time.

+1. That is a fair enough punishment. Screw the tickets.... Just superglue their fingers!

gunn
07-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Q: Is there a website where you can report literers or "questionable disabled parking placards?"

I know there is something similar (in the Bay Area at least) for smoking vehicles. I figure its worth 2 minutes of my time if I have to breathe in this air as well. I know they won't receive a ticket but I thought the offenders received (or used to before CA ran out of money) a strongly worded letter + note placed in their file if they get pulled over later.

http://hank.baaqmd.gov/exhaust/exhaust.htm

As for the disabled permit: There's also a silver tacoma with a disabled placard that parks near my office WITH A 2 FOOT+ LIFT KIT! Now, there may be a legal reason that this guy should have a handicap permit -- but I do find it odd that this doesn't prevent him from climbing up and down in his truck daily.

-g

FLIGHT762
07-06-2009, 11:04 AM
As for the disabled permit: There's also a silver tacoma with a disabled placard that parks near my office WITH A 2 FOOT+ LIFT KIT! Now, there may be a legal reason that this guy should have a handicap permit -- but I do find it odd that this doesn't prevent him from climbing up and down in his truck daily.

I was working patrol one day and watched a guy in a small delivery pickup truck(delivery service painted on the sides of the truck) using the handicapped zones to do his deliveries. He would load his hand truck up with boxes and off he'd go delivering. He had a disabled placard in the window. Instead of contacting him, I took down the placard number and the license plate info. I called a DMV investigator. He checked it out and got back to me. The delivery guy had a legitimate placard and DMV couldn't do anything about it. It just seemed so wrong.

retired
07-06-2009, 11:59 AM
I know it's a bit off topic and I hope the OP won't mind. If he does, I'll delete it. It's a funny on me.

I went into the Racquetball Club I used to belong to to check out the one disabled spot they had. There was a car there without a placard or plate. I wrote the ticket and then went inside to find the owner and have him move it.

Well, it turns out they were having a tournament for disabled people that I wasn't aware of and the owner had forgotten to put his on the dash. He was in a wheelchair and a double amputee.:eek::o

I told him I'd have the ticket voided and quickly left.:o Only Lt.s can void a ticket on my former dept. When I told him why, he screwed with me a bit and said the guy can go to court and argue his case. I knew how that would look, but he finally smiled and voided it.:)

Khram
07-07-2009, 5:02 PM
I am also big on hoping handicap violations get enforced due to having a disabled combat vet relative and having to deal with sick grandparents. Yes I have been tempted to use their placards sometimes, especially when my bad back flares up but I have NEVER done so.

Khram
07-07-2009, 5:04 PM
I was working patrol one day and watched a guy in a small delivery pickup truck(delivery service painted on the sides of the truck) using the handicapped zones to do his deliveries. He would load his hand truck up with boxes and off he'd go delivering. He had a disabled placard in the window. Instead of contacting him, I took down the placard number and the license plate info. I called a DMV investigator. He checked it out and got back to me. The delivery guy had a legitimate placard and DMV couldn't do anything about it. It just seemed so wrong.

It also seems strange there is disabled plates for motorcycles! Remember, because someone looks healthy and can walk does not mean they don't need a plate, some people have severe respiratory disease, cancer recovery, ect.

Fire in the Hole
07-07-2009, 5:10 PM
Remember also that when you turn 75 in CA, your age alone qualifies you for a Disabled plate. Reguardless of your health.

FLIGHT762
07-07-2009, 5:29 PM
It also seems strange there is disabled plates for motorcycles! Remember, because someone looks healthy and can walk does not mean they don't need a plate, some people have severe respiratory disease, cancer recovery, ect.

I do realize that. I had family that had them and I was injured on the job that took 18 months to recover. I was offered a temporary placard but decided not to get it. I enforced the disabled zones hard. I found a lot of misuse/Abuse, Family members using Granny's placard and I found a couple that were stolen. I even found a Reserve Cop from a nearby agency, who found a disabled placard on the road and was using it himself!

Some people were polite and were glad I was checking. I had some that were rude. I had one guy banging on his prosthesis, yelling at me. I remember a 30 year old woman parking in a disabled zone, got out of the car and RAN across the street. I contacted her. She said she had a foot disorder that flares up a few times a year, but she was fine today. Her placard was legitimate, I could do nothing about it, but I felt it was wrong for her to be taking a space away from someone who really needed the space. I still checked when I saw something that just didn't look right. I wrote a lot of good cites.

retired
07-07-2009, 6:04 PM
Remember also that when you turn 75 in CA, your age alone qualifies you for a Disabled plate. Reguardless of your health.

So, Fire in the Hole, how long have you had yours.:rofl2::rofl2::whistling:

Fire in the Hole
07-07-2009, 6:40 PM
So, Fire in the Hole, how long have you had yours.:rofl2::rofl2::whistling:

Not quite there yet, but rapidly approaching. I refuse to go out gracefully.

How did this thread go from Cigarette butts to handicap parking anyway?

packnrat
07-07-2009, 6:56 PM
Well this afternoon two moto cops from Stockton, ca
having a break, some jerk was parked in a handycaped spot. The two leo's did nothing.

bubbagump
07-07-2009, 9:21 PM
Well this afternoon two moto cops from Stockton, ca
having a break, some jerk was parked in a handycaped spot. The two leo's did nothing.

Huh?

retired
07-07-2009, 9:31 PM
Not quite there yet, but rapidly approaching. I refuse to go out gracefully.

How did this thread go from Cigarette butts to handicap parking anyway?

Because one member mentioned it in conjunction with cigarette butts, which was really no big deal, but another member (me:o) continued right below him. That got the ball rolling and it was off topic from there frequently. I should have kept it on topic, so I'm going to admonish myself.:o

Any further posts should return to the original topic and rather than anymore comments about the 2 leos in Stockton, let's not go any further down that road before it goes downhill.;)

rebelmachine2000
07-09-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm a smoker but throwing out the window no es bueno. I cram the butts in my side view mirror and periodically dig them out when the seams of the mirror become full of old butts.

N6ATF
07-09-2009, 11:36 AM
:dots:

gunn
07-10-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm a smoker but throwing out the window no es bueno. I cram the butts in my side view mirror and periodically dig them out when the seams of the mirror become full of old butts.

WTF?
Isn't this like people who throw soda cans into the bed of their pickup truck and *surprise* *surprise* when they go to empty the bed, only two of the six cans are back there?

-g

reidnez
07-10-2009, 2:09 PM
A few years ago on my motorcycle, I was actually hit by a lit butt on the faceshield of my helmet. Fortunately it was closed at the time, and the butt bounced off my jacket instead of going down my collar...but man did that tick me off. I resisted the urge to kick the bozo's door in, and instead pulled up beside him at the next light and had some words...I am sure there are many other riders and motorcycle officers who have had something like this happen to them, as well.

I've also been doused by a very improperly-aimed windshield-washer nozzle, which sent water shooting straight over the truck's windshield and into my helmet, as I followed about 25 ft. behind (in a 35 zone). WTF?!

I wish motorists would realize that things which are an annoyance to car drivers, can injure or kill a motorcyclist. We're doing our part to reduce traffic congestion and air pollution by riding motorcycles (even if that isn't why we ride, it is a byproduct of our choice), the least we deserve is a little common courtesy.

Thanks to all the LEO's who do their best to curb this kind of behavior, you are very much appreciated.

Richie Rich
07-10-2009, 8:15 PM
Yes, I admit it, I am a smoker.

I also make it a point to not throw butts (or any other litter for that matter) out the window. Water bottles work great as ashtrays, contain the smell, are disposable and essentially free.

Something that I do admit to though is I do allow the ashes to escape the confines of my vehicle.

Is this a citeable offense and if so, do you guys view/enforce this as vigorously as people who actually throw butts and lit cigarettes out the window?

Turbinator
07-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Smoking is actually somewhat similar to being into the shooting hobby.

a) not everyone does it
b) not everyone cares to do it
c) it CAN be enjoyed safely and responsibly without bothering others

I respect the rights of people who choose to smoke, to enjoy that freedom. I appreciate it when they respect my decision not to smoke. I have smoker friends who will go out of their way to keep the smoke from blowing in my face.

I think it's just a matter of common courtesy, and I'm glad my friends have it.

Turby

nyal
07-11-2009, 9:59 AM
To put some of this in perspective, for those that didn't follow it on the news, often from just one careless cigarette the state can spend tens of millions to fight the resulting forest fires. This pulls money from emergency and general funds away from much better purposes.

The human side of this story is that as a national guard member that served 1 month for the CA fire mission last year in the S1/TOC (human resources), I was in charge of processing injuries from soldiers fighting forest fires for 10 hours a day in unbelievable mountain forest terrain that even our humvees cannot tread.

What I saw was really astonishing: Almost every soldier had insane foot blisters, a large percentage had sprained ankles and knees, many had torn or pulled muscles, several had serious heat stroke, one was bitten by a rattle snake, and while we had dozens of ER visits but no fatalities, 2 firefighters that we knew and worked with died in that month. Despite all this, most soldiers just accepted it and drove on with the expensive and harsh mission.

These are things people don't think about when they casually flick a butt out, and my thanks to all the officers that enforce this bad habit that probably has a more dire consequence (albeit with lower chance) than most other violations one can cite. :)

spddrcr
07-11-2009, 10:16 AM
A few years ago on my motorcycle, I was actually hit by a lit butt on the faceshield of my helmet. Fortunately it was closed at the time, and the butt bounced off my jacket instead of going down my collar...but man did that tick me off. I resisted the urge to kick the bozo's door in, and instead pulled up beside him at the next light and had some words...I am sure there are many other riders and motorcycle officers who have had something like this happen to them, as well.

I've also been doused by a very improperly-aimed windshield-washer nozzle, which sent water shooting straight over the truck's windshield and into my helmet, as I followed about 25 ft. behind (in a 35 zone). WTF?!

I wish motorists would realize that things which are an annoyance to car drivers, can injure or kill a motorcyclist. We're doing our part to reduce traffic congestion and air pollution by riding motorcycles (even if that isn't why we ride, it is a byproduct of our choice), the least we deserve is a little common courtesy.

Thanks to all the LEO's who do their best to curb this kind of behavior, you are very much appreciated.

Im a smoker but this is the exact reason i dont throw my butts out the window, as a rider ive been hit 1 to many times by butts thrown out of car windows. I use the water bottle meathod as well or i dont smoke in my car.

rebelmachine2000
07-11-2009, 2:01 PM
WTF?
Isn't this like people who throw soda cans into the bed of their pickup truck and *surprise* *surprise* when they go to empty the bed, only two of the six cans are back there?

-g

I assure you that the butts don't fall out. I know the aforementioned to be true simply because I do so regularly. But that claim is about as objective and assuring as me claiming that briefs are absolutely more secure than boxers but that's the best assurance I can offer.

The practice of putting the extinguished butts in the mirror is just a strange idiosyncratic way to keep the butts secure and out of my car until I can throw them away.

Please don't maliciously insinuate that I'm a litter bug. But I digress. It was a mistake of mine to take the thread OT. Nonetheless, I have found this thread to be very interesting and informative so let's both keep it that way :).

Steve G
07-11-2009, 2:30 PM
Smoking is actually somewhat similar to being into the shooting hobby.

c) it CAN be enjoyed safely and responsibly without bothering others

With all due respect that's not true

retired
07-11-2009, 6:39 PM
WTF?

-g

You could have probably written that in a less insulting manner. Be sure that you do so in the future when you have a question of someone instead of the WTF and sarcasm.

Seesm
07-11-2009, 10:26 PM
I think smoking is my largest pet peve so far....

While leaving a Pizza place one day with my buddy a lady in a mercedes benz was leaving the parking lot and flicked a lit smoke out her side window.

I said to my friend "Man that drives me nuts I wish I could throw it back into her car"

He runs over fast and picks it and knocks on her window she rolls it down very little as she seemed scared... He say's

"Oh sorry to bother you but you drop this" And he flicks it into her back seat....

Was classic to see the look on her face and yes she had to pull over to get it off her back "leather" seat....

Good times.

Please LEO's keep citing people for this.... Let's clean this world up a little.

N6ATF
07-11-2009, 11:49 PM
ROTFLMAO

nobody33
07-12-2009, 3:55 AM
Ashes from the end of a lit cig are hot and will still cause fires. The ashes or the cigarette doesn't make a different to me as a cop. The vehicle code section is lit object thrown onto highway.

I wrote 4 of them this week. We are going to have some litter free areas with all the community service from that. I wish more violations had mandatory community service instead of high fines. People are more mad about the service than the fines these days.

Khram
07-12-2009, 2:15 PM
Ashes from the end of a lit cig are hot and will still cause fires. The ashes or the cigarette doesn't make a different to me as a cop. The vehicle code section is lit object thrown onto highway.

I wrote 4 of them this week. We are going to have some litter free areas with all the community service from that. I wish more violations had mandatory community service instead of high fines. People are more mad about the service than the fines these days.

You are my hero:)

berman1969
07-12-2009, 3:10 PM
my sister inlaw got a ticket for this in siskiyou county,cost her over 700...

lawnrevenge
07-12-2009, 3:49 PM
My passenger side foot well frequently becomes littered with trash that I later throw away. I hate seeing trash on the side of the road, as a bicyclist I really hate it. Pedaling through a half eaten big mac or pee bottle is really nasty. Butts are awful not only for the fire hazard but due to the fact that they are small and picking up after the slobs is made more difficult.

Hey LEO's is there some higher penalty for pee bottles?

CSACANNONEER
07-12-2009, 4:09 PM
I feel the need to tell a story that happened to me a few weeks ago. First, this has nothing to do with driving or even littering but, it goes to show what a lit cig can do.

So, a couple weeks back, I was in my backyard and dropped a lit but into a pot of used potting soil. There were at least 50 other butts already in there so, I thought nothing of it. Also, I smoke American Spirits now. They don't have any additives and tend to go out on their own if they are not being smoked. So, a couple hours pass and I'm giving a reloading lesson to a CGer in my garage when my room mate comes out to BS and then he says that he smells something burning. Since I have no sence of smell, I asked him to find the source. He ended up in the backyard where, he decided it smelled like a neighbor's BBQ. Now, a couple more hours pass and it's almost dark. I just happen to walk into the backyard, turn around and walk back in (I forgot why). Well, while turning around, I realized something wasn't right. I turned and saw smoke coming from the plastic pot of dirt! Yep, over 4 hours had passed and the old, dead roots in the potting soil were smoldering! After drowning the container, I found that over 1/2 of the dirt was burned and the plasic pot had a 4" spot that had melted! So, to whoever thinks that their butt won't or didn't start a fire (because they passed their hours before the fire), THINK AGAIN! any smoldering object can start a fire!

Ditch
07-12-2009, 4:36 PM
I feel the need to tell a story that happened to me a few weeks ago. First, this has nothing to do with driving or even littering but, it goes to show what a lit cig can do.

So, a couple weeks back, I was in my backyard and dropped a lit but into a pot of used potting soil. There were at least 50 other butts already in there so, I thought nothing of it. Also, I smoke American Spirits now. They don't have any additives and tend to go out on their own if they are not being smoked. So, a couple hours pass and I'm giving a reloading lesson to a CGer in my garage when my room mate comes out to BS and then he says that he smells something burning. Since I have no sence of smell, I asked him to find the source. He ended up in the backyard where, he decided it smelled like a neighbor's BBQ. Now, a couple more hours pass and it's almost dark. I just happen to walk into the backyard, turn around and walk back in (I forgot why). Well, while turning around, I realized something wasn't right. I turned and saw smoke coming from the plastic pot of dirt! Yep, over 4 hours had passed and the old, dead roots in the potting soil were smoldering! After drowning the container, I found that over 1/2 of the dirt was burned and the plasic pot had a 4" spot that had melted! So, to whoever thinks that their butt won't or didn't start a fire (because they passed their hours before the fire), THINK AGAIN! any smoldering object can start a fire!

Thats very true, and I used to pitch smokes out the window years ago! I now just get rid of the fire in a safe place and keep the but and tobacco to throw away in a trash can. The fire on a smoke will go out fast, with out the tobacco.

Gryff
07-12-2009, 8:35 PM
I hate that so many smokers are such lazy *******s that they just throw their butts on the ground. I want to see the charge changed to attempted arson whether they do it on the road or while about to walk into a store/building.

HappyG
07-13-2009, 6:29 PM
What about people that spit? I'd rather have a cig butt hit my car then someone's spit. Or rather walk over a cig butt then have to walk on someone's spit. Now that's gross.

ryno066
07-13-2009, 7:13 PM
Dave Attell did it on insomniac. He was with New Orleans cops and tossed one on the ground in front of them. They just looked at him like, are you for Fing real. I loved it.

I have only known two smokers that pack their butts out after work or a hike.

Fire in the Hole
07-13-2009, 7:13 PM
Have we quite exhausted this thread yet? What more can possibly said about it? This teat has been milked dry already. Stick a fork in it, it's done.

Crusader
07-14-2009, 5:52 PM
I hate that so many smokers are such lazy *******s that they just throw their butts on the ground. I want to see the charge changed to attempted arson whether they do it on the road or while about to walk into a store/building.

You know what I hate? That society treats smokers like the walking plague and have removed all the ashtrays because they are ugly and smell. What the hell am I supposed to do with my cigarettes, throw them in the trash? Now that would be attempted arson.

Turbinator
07-15-2009, 3:20 PM
With all due respect that's not true

Ok, tell me how smoking canNOT be enjoyed safely without harming others..? I'd love to hear your perspective.

Turby

minuteman
07-15-2009, 6:00 PM
im suprised they dont put people to death in california for something like smoking anymore.

They are trying it seems but they need the tax revenue. With the amount of taxes already the state should be trying to get people to smoke.

Cpl. Haas
07-15-2009, 6:33 PM
This past week alone, I've seen 3 trash can fires started in the garbage can in front of my work... 2 of them I can only suspect from cigarette butts... And one confirmed because I watched the ***hat toss his lit cig into the bin. Seriously, how stupid do you have to be to toss a lit cigarette into a trash can!?

Ditch
07-16-2009, 7:08 PM
REAL Stupid....but there out there every where!

locosway
07-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Just like people still talking on their cellphones without hands free. Hardly anyone complies If you're too stupid to see the black and white passing by, you deserve a ticket.

I've seen so many LEO's on the phone it's not even funny. Does the CA law say they're exempt from the hands free law?

retired
07-16-2009, 11:42 PM
California Vehicle Code 23123
Effective July 1, 2008
23123. (a) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle while using a wireless telephone....I've cut the remainder as it is not germane to your particular question. The below section will answer your question locosway:

(d) This section does not apply to an emergency services professional using a wireless telephone while operating an authorized emergency vehicle, as defined in Section 165, in the course and scope of his or her duties.

In case you are wondering what Section 165 is, I have provided that also:

[QUOTE] 165. "Authorized emergency vehicle"

An authorized emergency vehicle is:

(a) Any publicly owned and operated ambulance, lifeguard, or lifesaving equipment or any privately owned or operated ambulance licensed by the Commissioner of the California Highway Patrol to operate in response to emergency calls.

(b) Any publicly owned vehicle operated by the following persons, agencies, or organizations:

(1) Any federal, state, or local agency, department, or district employing peace officers as that term is defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Part 2 of Title 3 of the Penal Code, for use by those officers in the performance of their duties.

(2) Any forestry or fire department of any public agency or fire department organized as provided in the Health and Safety Code.

(c) Any vehicle owned by the state, or any bridge and highway district, and equipped and used either for fighting fires, or towing or servicing other vehicles, caring for injured persons, or repairing damaged lighting or electrical equipment.

(d) Any state-owned vehicle used in responding to emergency fire, rescue or communications calls and operated either by the Office of Emergency Services or by any public agency or industrial fire department to which the Office of Emergency Services has assigned the vehicle.

(e) Any vehicle owned or operated by any department or agency of the United States government when the vehicle is used in responding to emergency fire, ambulance, or lifesaving calls or is actively engaged in law enforcement work.

(f) Any vehicle for which an authorized emergency vehicle permit has been issued by the Commissioner of the California Highway Patrol.

locosway, that should definitively answer your question. The question itself, without your opinionated statement, was sufficient, knock it off.

I've seen so many LEO's on the phone it's not even funny.

locosway
07-16-2009, 11:47 PM
I'll leave all opinions at the door then for this forum.

Another question because I'm curious on this topic. Why are those persons listed in the law exempt?

retired
07-17-2009, 12:34 AM
I'll be honest, I have no idea. It may have been lobbied for by the agencies involved and/or the legislators themselves decided to do that. Again, that is pure speculation on my part.

I would surmise you'd have to contact the actual bill initiator and I don't know how successful you would be with that.