PDA

View Full Version : New toy! Beretta 21A Bobcat

Oldnoob
06-20-2009, 9:56 AM
Brought a new toy home few days ago Beretta Bobcat 22lr.

It suppose to be new in box. The owner is a widow who claim her husband buy gun to collect but never did shoot (sure like you never hear that before:whistling:). But after carefully inspect the gun, I believe it is true.

Sorry for the bad picture, I promise once I have some free time at my studio I'll get some better photo.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/johell/My%20gun/DSC_0019.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/johell/My%20gun/DSC_0015.jpg

So far I can tell you guys the gun is great. I have never before hold a more comfortable sub compact gun, let along a pocket gun.

I did take it to the range yesterday, and it was fun shooting this little pocket rocket. Like most review you would hear online, it does like to be clean and well lubed. Mine would perform flawless the first 30~50 round than a failure to feed. Once cleaned, it would do great for another 30~50 round. I found this acceptable with cheap Remington bulk pack ammo. Next week I'll try to find some CCI mini and stinger, see how it run in my gun.

The gun is REALLY hard to aim due to its tiny size. This is my target after first 3 mags in 10 FEET (I have never shoot in range this close to target before:crying:).

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/johell/Bobcat.jpg

Good new is, the later target I did group a bit better. So with in time, I should master its trigger and turn in a better report card/target.

luisdeleon
06-20-2009, 10:11 AM
nice! great find.

VegasND
06-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Nice pistol. Mine has plastic grips and doesn't look as nice as yours. It is picky about ammo and likes to be clean too.

tomd1584
06-20-2009, 8:05 PM
I have one ands it's tons of fun. My grips aren't as nice as yours though

Decoligny
06-20-2009, 8:26 PM
My wife has the .32 Beretta.

It does like to be clean and lubed, but she is comfortable with it, and if she "has" to use it, (if I'm not home) she won't be putting 50 rounds through it. 2 mags at most. If she needs more than that then she moves on to my 9mm for another 4 mags.

socomIInato
06-20-2009, 11:01 PM
nice p/u! cycles real fast doesn`t it. pocket full of fun:25:

Quiet
06-21-2009, 12:57 AM
unfortunately sold mine---- DON'T shoot stingers until you check w/ Beretta as the stingers do NOT have the same OAL as .22LR

Strange.
All the people I know who own one of these (total of two), recommended shoot CCI stingers only.

maxicon
06-21-2009, 2:49 PM
I've got one that looks just like that, except not as pristine:
http://maxicon.com/guns/beretta_21a/Beretta_21A-1b.jpg

There are lots of mixed reports on reliability - some people can't make them work for beans, and others have good luck with them. Here's the scoop on mine, FWIW.

There's no extractor, so duds and failures to extract will leave you out of commission for a while. Some folks have made little ejector rods to slip under a notch they've cut in the grips so they can push unejected or dud rounds out quickly.

Mine works best with CCI Minimags and nearly as well with CCI Stingers. I get roughly 1 failure per 100 rounds with Minimags and 2 per 100 with Stingers - typically what I call a horizontal stovepipe, where the ejected brass is caught horizontally between the slide and the barrel. These are pretty easy to clear, and most of the other jams aren't.

Stingers have a big, bright flash (woohoo!), while Minimags are much more subdued. Groups range between 4-6" at 10 yards, and the Stinger groups are slightly smaller than Minimags. I can get them down to about 3" from a rest.

The sights are nearly non-existent, and to get these 4-6" groups, I need to have my strong glasses on so I can see the tiny front blade, which makes the target a total fuzzball.

When I shoot other ammo, either standard velocity or weaker hi-velocity ammo like Federal Champion Hi Velocity or Zappers, I get a ton of jams, usually 3-4 per magazine. Horizontal stovepipes, regular stovepipes, jamming into the chamber, failure to extract, and partial extraction are typical. I've had a few double-strikes required on Zappers, which is unusual.

Also, the mag release button is in a funny spot, in the side of the grip, and when I've been practicing a lot with more traditional guns (which is most of the time), it's not very quick or intuitive to get to.

Lots of people say they're better if you keep them spotlessly clean, but mine has the same reliability whether it's just been cleaned or has had lots of rounds through it. I'm at about 500 rounds without cleaning now, and it's still running as I described above.

All in all, I've been happy with mine - it's very nice looking, with attractive bluing and wood grips, and it's fun to shoot. I wouldn't even consider using it as a defensive gun except as a absolute last resort, both because of the weak round and because of the mediocre reliability.

precisionshooter308
06-22-2009, 8:45 AM
I've had a 21a for about 15 years, it can be fussy about ammo, mine really likes vipers but will function reasonably well with any of the hyper .22s. Shoot on and have fun!!!!

maxicon
06-22-2009, 10:23 AM
the Mossad and mafia like that little weak round for specail events!
The one I had was very reliable but I had to use HV ammo.

They also use hatpins for "special events". I suppose you could add those to your arsenal as well, but it's important to be aware of the limitations, just like with the 21A.

they are in error unless Beretta says OK the stingers are not designed for most of the .22LR semi auto pistols. The Overall Length is different than .22LR. If you are looking for some punch try the CCI velocitors they are the same length as .22LR check into it you will find I am right.

Lots of vendors say stuff that people ignore. Many manufacturers tell you not to shoot reloads.

It's a compact .22. The only way to tell what any particular one will shoot well is to try different rounds in it. Whatever Beretta says or the design parameters are, Stingers are one of the better performing rounds in my particular 21A, and are much more reliable than many standard rounds. It's not like the gun's going to blow up from testing Stingers in it.

YMMV, as always!

shafferds
06-22-2009, 11:12 AM
great little gun but keep it lubed up

c good
06-24-2009, 5:09 PM
Mine likes the Winchester Super X22LR. I've tried Stingers too on the recommendation of a local shop owner with no problems whatsoever. He had some inside scoop from Beretta and said that that's what the 21A was actually designed to use. As it is a simple blow back design it makes sense. The hotter the round the better ejection one gets. Anyways, as other's have mentioned, keep the chamber clean, keep it lubed and use higher velocity ammo and it will be 100% reliable. Before following this advice myself(I learned the hard way) I had lots of ftf, fte problems. Now, I never have any trouble. HTH c good

P.S. Always wear good hearing protection with this little screamer!

Greg-Dawg
06-24-2009, 5:20 PM
How much do those go for?

jazman
06-24-2009, 5:25 PM
I've had a few of the little Beretta tip up barrels, great guns. The only one I have left is a .32 Tomcat which I like a lot. 7 in the mag, 1 in the pipe of Winchester Silver Tip, the cartridge the gun was built around, packs a pretty good punch. Fits in a back Levi 501 pocket with ease barely printing. Handy!

maxicon
06-25-2009, 10:30 AM
How much do those go for?

Mine was $200 used, but that was a while back. I think $250 used is a decent price these days, partly because you don't see that many of them. You see them sell on Gunbroker for less, but getting them into the state adds a lot, as usual.

MasterYong
06-25-2009, 1:35 PM
I didn't know there was a such thing as a Bobcat that functioned well!

My GF has one and a good friend has another. Doesn't matter WHAT ammo, how clean, how dry or lubed, those things have FTE, stovepipes, jams, FTF, every kind of malfunction I've ever seen on EVERY MAG. My GFs wont even strip a round if the mag is full, have to put 5 rounds or less in it. I don't even like to shoot the things they're so unreliable it seems almost dangerous to me. If it were anything bigger than a .22LR I'd be worried about it blowing up in my face!

It's good to hear you got such a good find, I wont automatically pan these handguns every time I see one now. Nice grips too, the two I have experience with have plastic grips. Those look much more substantial.

MrClamperSir
06-25-2009, 2:12 PM
Just got the same model two weeks ago. I CAN"T PUT IT DOWN! It's a lot of fun and makes a tremendous noise for a .22. Great find.:)

Oldnoob
06-25-2009, 2:30 PM
Just got the same model two weeks ago. I CAN"T PUT IT DOWN! It's a lot of fun and makes a tremendous noise for a .22. Great find.:)

I know exactly what you mean. :D

goathead
06-25-2009, 5:34 PM
cool fine

c good
06-26-2009, 7:02 PM

My GF has one and a good friend has another. Doesn't matter WHAT ammo, how clean, how dry or lubed, those things have FTE, stovepipes, jams, FTF, every kind of malfunction I've ever seen on EVERY MAG. My GFs wont even strip a round if the mag is full, have to put 5 rounds or less in it. I don't even like to shoot the things they're so unreliable it seems almost dangerous to me. If it were anything bigger than a .22LR I'd be worried about it blowing up in my face!

It's good to hear you got such a good find, I wont automatically pan these handguns every time I see one now. Nice grips too, the two I have experience with have plastic grips. Those look much more substantial.

I've found that you need to tilt the last round nose up when you put it into the mag. This will help it strip and feed cleanly. I usually take my thumb and just "flick" the rim of the round backwards. This will point the nose of the round up and get it ready to be stripped and fed cleanly into the chamber. HTH c good

Bobula
06-26-2009, 8:31 PM
If you EVER want to sell it let me know, I have an identical one in .25acp, it needs a friend.

MrClamperSir
06-26-2009, 11:00 PM

I find with subcompacts you need at least 250 rounds through before it operates smooth. Maybe if you skilled you can polish the internals a bit but I'm not so I just work out the kinks with matching ammo.

MrClamperSir
06-26-2009, 11:01 PM
And like Bobula says if you're looking to sell it and he doesn't take it, PM me.

Oldnoob
06-26-2009, 11:18 PM
If you EVER want to sell it let me know, I have an identical one in .25acp, it needs a friend.

And like Bobula says if you're looking to sell it and he doesn't take it, PM me.

Hey, if you two want to sell your 25acp and can offer me a good deal, I'll take them from you. Like Bobula said, it needs a friend. :43:

Oldnoob
06-26-2009, 11:19 PM
I shot my Bobcat again last weekend and I group much better. Target were still 10 feet away but the group is much smaller. I'll post the target tomorrow, I don't have the scanner at my place.

bsg
06-27-2009, 6:11 PM
that is one sweet looking gun.

Deamer
06-28-2009, 1:08 AM
My new neighbor just showed me his 22 and 25 cal he has of these. We are going this week to do a PPT on a American Arms 22lr mini revolver he is giving me.
I kept an eye on his house for the last 3 months since he couldn't move until he retired. He insisted that it was a fair payment.